Commission wants all cabs hybrid by 2012

Trainspotter

Commission wants all cabs hybrid by 2012

The Taxi and Limousine Commission Tuesday set new environmentally friendly gas mileage requirements for cabs in a push to make the entire fleet hybrid by 2012.

As part of PlaNYC, the mayor's plan for the city's growth over the next 25 years, all taxis are required to be hybrid by 2012.

Starting in October, all new taxis, except wheelchair accessible ones, must have a city gas mileage of 25 miles to the gallon. By late 2009, cabs must have a minimum gas mileage of 30 miles per hour.

The average gas mileage of a Crown Victoria taxi is about 12 miles per gallon.

the hybrid taxi's they have now are too tiny. i don't get it people love tiny cars these days. you see them all over the place. i can't stand riding in some slow tiny trash for like 2 hours.

what they should do, if they love hybrid so much, is make a hybrid crown victoria, that would be nice.

the hybrid taxi's they have now are too tiny. i don't get it people love tiny cars these days. you see them all over the place. i can't stand riding in some slow tiny trash for like 2 hours.

what they should do, if they love hybrid so much, is make a hybrid crown victoria, that would be nice.

1. The only Hybrid cabs I've seen are Ford escapes (small SUV).

2. Who rides for 2 hrs in a tiny Hybrid cab, unless you mean those who own Toyota Prius hybrid cars.

3. Hybrid Crown Victoria? They do make hybrid buses, and the Crown Vic is the size of one, so that wouldn't be to hard to do.

4. I love large SUVs. I have a Pathfinder, but want an Expedition limited now. I hope when I get into the market for that, they get better fuel mileage then they do now. I won't get a hybrid Expedition either. To few Hybrid cars, and they have to work all the bugs out, and become a bigger part of the sale of cars/SUVs before I buy one.

Hybrid Crown Vics? Well, that would be a sensible solution to the Police Departments around the US. Well.. those crown vics have a gas-eating V8's.

I think that for taxi's the crown vics are going soon. But they need a vehicle that is big but fuel efficient, I hear the escapes are small, so they may want bigger vehicles. As for police, they shouldn't move to hybrids (yet). I say they should order more Dodge Charger cars, those are sick. Think about it a police car has to be big and fast and right now I think the Charger surpasses the crown vic and the impala in all of those.

nypd_new_dodge_charger.jpg

I think that for taxi's the crown vics are going soon. But they need a vehicle that is big but fuel efficient, I hear the escapes are small, so they may want bigger vehicles. As for police, they shouldn't move to hybrids (yet). I say they should order more Dodge Charger cars, those are sick. Think about it a police car has to be big and fast and right now I think the Charger surpasses the crown vic and the impala in all of those.

nypd_new_dodge_charger.jpg

Yonkers PD has one Charger, and so does The Westchester County PD. Yonkers did have marked, Impalas but I see only Crown Vics now. Impalas are unmarked, and/or Detective vehicles now. Up here they test things before purchasing them in Bulk.

Yonkers PD has one Charger, and so does The Westchester County PD. Yonkers did have marked, Impalas but I see only Crown Vics now. Impalas are unmarked, and/or Detective vehicles now. Up here they test things before purchasing them in Bulk.

I believe NYC has a bunch of police Chargers on the street already and they look great. As for taxi's, the taxi needs to be big, to hold a good amount of people and big to handle a lot of luggage. Any suggestions on what vehicle?

I believe NYC has a bunch of police Chargers on the street already and they look great. As for taxi's, the taxi needs to be big, to hold a good amount of people and big to handle a lot of luggage. Any suggestions on what vehicle?

Hybrid Explorers and/or Expeditions. Ford should be working on that.

The 8 cylinder hybrids are already in development. I seriously doubt they'll have the power of a standard 8 cylinder. As the matter of fact I know they won't.

I used to drive an 8 cylinder pick-up truck and now have been reduced to a 4 banger. Yeah I'm saving money on the gas but I'd rather have the power. An 8 cylinder car or truck is in my forecast soon.

As for hybrids, I'll never ever drive them. As long as there's combustion engines I'll be driving them.

The 8 cylinder hybrids are already in development. I seriously doubt they'll have the power of a standard 8 cylinder. As the matter of fact I know they won't.

I used to drive an 8 cylinder pick-up truck and now have been reduced to a 4 banger. Yeah I'm saving money on the gas but I'd rather have the power. An 8 cylinder car or truck is in my forecast soon.

As for hybrids, I'll never ever drive them. As long as there's combustion engines I'll be driving them.

You Polluter!

Does driving a gas guzzling 2005 6 cylinder Nissan Pathfinder, and wanting a V8 gas guzzling Ford Expedition Limited make me one to? If so then the hypocrite (me) haveth spoken.

You Polluter!

Does driving a gas guzzling 2005 6 cylinder Nissan Pathfinder, and wanting a V8 gas guzzling Ford Expedition Limited make me one to? If so then the hypocrite (me) haveth spoken.

If you're a single/not married guy a Ford Expedition is probably useless. Now if you got a family of 4-8 than go for it.

You hypocrite!

1. The only Hybrid cabs I've seen are Ford escapes (small SUV).

2. Who rides for 2 hrs in a tiny Hybrid cab, unless you mean those who own Toyota Prius hybrid cars.

3. Hybrid Crown Victoria? They do make hybrid buses, and the Crown Vic is the size of one, so that wouldn't be to hard to do.

4. I love large SUVs. I have a Pathfinder, but want an Expedition limited now. I hope when I get into the market for that, they get better fuel mileage then they do now. I won't get a hybrid Expedition either. To few Hybrid cars, and they have to work all the bugs out, and become a bigger part of the sale of cars/SUVs before I buy one.

well even for 2 minutes i don't like riding in tiny trash

For number 3 I agree, the Crown Vic is big enough, all they have to do is place the technology in there (fix the bugs out). As for number 4, I too want to be a polluter ;) I'm looking into a 2008 or 2009 Dodge Charger SRT8 which is a V8 (Oh yeah, a V8 but its looking less likely that I'm going to get one of those but its sweet) or a 2003-2004 Nissan Pathfinder, not sure yet.

Archived