MTA booth clerks are a bit rude

CPBO

MTA booth clerks are a bit rude, under- cover study with college interns finds

BY Eitan Gavish and Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Saturday, October 24th 2009, 4:00 AM

Next stop for some token booth clerks may be charm school.

Subway managers on the No. 4 line used college interns posing as straphangers to rate clerks in terms of how helpful and courteous they were when approached.

"It's like a mystery shopper program," NYC Transit Charles Seaton said Friday, referring to storeowners' use of fake shoppers to review staff and other retail workers. The young subway sleuths in Operation Courtesy made their rounds on the Lexington Ave. line during the summer.

Results are still being compiled, but some workers behind the glass apparently needed immediate polishing.

"Some have been spoken to on an informal basis," Seaton said, stressing the reviews will not lead to disciplinary charges. "You get all kinds. You get nice people, some not so nice at all," said a clerk, who also did not want to be named.

William Henderson, executive director of the MTA's Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee, said he believed the vast majority of clerks were professional.

"There are people who are very good, friendly and adept at dealing with the public, and some who may need to be coached a little bit on how to do a better job," Henderson said.

pdonohue@nydailynews.com

MTA booth clerks are a bit rude, under- cover study with college interns finds

BY Eitan Gavish and Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Saturday, October 24th 2009, 4:00 AM

Next stop for some token booth clerks may be charm school.

Subway managers on the No. 4 line used college interns posing as straphangers to rate clerks in terms of how helpful and courteous they were when approached.

"It's like a mystery shopper program," NYC Transit Charles Seaton said Friday, referring to storeowners' use of fake shoppers to review staff and other retail workers. The young subway sleuths in Operation Courtesy made their rounds on the Lexington Ave. line during the summer.

Results are still being compiled, but some workers behind the glass apparently needed immediate polishing.

"Some have been spoken to on an informal basis," Seaton said, stressing the reviews will not lead to disciplinary charges. "You get all kinds. You get nice people, some not so nice at all," said a clerk, who also did not want to be named.

William Henderson, executive director of the MTA's Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee, said he believed the vast majority of clerks were professional.

"There are people who are very good, friendly and adept at dealing with the public, and some who may need to be coached a little bit on how to do a better job," Henderson said.

pdonohue@nydailynews.com

LOL, ta has be doing this for a while with bickies so what's different now?? They will do anything to mess with some ones job. I mean sure their are some rude clerks, not including me. But most people don't come to work that way, but after you deal with hundreds of people all with different attitudes all day it can take a toll on you a bit. I would say half the people come to the window with an attitude themselves because they have to pay to ride the train. The other half is friendly. When I'am at work I try to remain neutral,not too joyful and not angry. I just keep myself ready for what ever person decides to come to the window for whatever reason. But then again this is the DN reporting this story which is always sensationalized when it comes to anything MTA.

The way I see this with station booth clerks, I don't think it's their fault they're rude. I think the fact they have to deal with commuters' tirades over transactions gone bad, when they give directions and the passengers still don't understand, you're going to have those types of clerks. I've only bumped into one rude clerk, and that's because he was tired of the commuters' issues with the metrocard swipe errors in which he thought was their fault.

I say the booth clerks are justified in the reasons why they are rude. I bet someone's going to disagree with me here.

I love reading this. I was told my supervisor that something like this was goin on. He was told first hand by the line managers. What they didn't tell you that these college interns were told to be extra annoying and pestering. Bascially they were told to get a reaction. It wasn't like they came with good intentions. You gotta love the MTA.

This sometimes happened at Junction Blvd (7)<7>

I sometime I like to go elevator overpass at night because it beautiful.

I remember there was one Hispanic-like on street elevator side while his family was inside fare control area. She had double stroller that cannot use through HEET.

She was pressing many time to get clerk's attention. It took almost like 15 minutes to open gate because clerk thought he was trying to enter.

Some S/A i like some i don't.. Some doesn't even have proper knowledge of getting around the system. I remembered I pressed the button to get a shopping car full out via the gates, the S/A saw me and just ignored dealing with the people instead of just pressing a button to quickly open it.. Took like 5min just to get a response.. Some workers need some retraining. God bless the ones who knows what to do.. Like people here of course :tup:

Archived