LIRR Signal Question

lilbluefoxie

The powers that be (read: management with no railroading experience) had decided that color lights should be installed. This is generally directly despite the fact that PRR position lights have better visibility and are safer (e.g. a single bulb outage on a PRR PL will not give the appearance of a less restrictive aspect).

I noticed by some stations there are new signals, they have red and green lights as opposed to the usual 3 light position signals, is this something new? I saw these first near Woodside, and now im seeing them more and more around the system.

They installed some color lights on part of the Montauk branch a few years back, other than there and woodside I don't know of anywhere else they exist. And I agree with Joe that they should keep the position lights because of safety and the fact that only the LIRR and SEPTA use them

I didn't know the fail road and Septic were the only ones using color light signals. If they were dead-set on having colored signals, they should have at least gone for color position lights (e.g. Amtrak).

I meant that they only use position lights. And are the CPLs as good as the regular ones? Because I'd imagine that they have the same problem of bulbs burning out causing a bad reading and that they could be confused for traffic lights, or the orbital position could be hard to read at night

I'm of the camp that thinks nothing is as good as a PRR position light, but what I was trying to say was that CPLs would be a better option than color lights. Like I said though, id've gone with the PRR PL in any situation.

They installed some color lights on part of the Montauk branch a few years back, other than there and woodside I don't know of anywhere else they exist. And I agree with Joe that they should keep the position lights because of safety and the fact that only the LIRR and SEPTA use them

NJT also uses them on the NEC and PRR-powered northern NJCL (maybe, but not sure).

LIRR has color-signalled Speonk-Patchouge and is working on extending it to Babylon. Some localized areas may have color signals, and I'm not sure about Amtrak-owned HAROLD and F.

However, the color signals are harder to see, thus management doubled the amperage of the signals. It's now leading to premature bulb failures.

LIRR has color-signalled Speonk-Patchouge and is working on extending it to Babylon. Some localized areas may have color signals, and I'm not sure about Amtrak-owned HAROLD and F.

However, the color signals are harder to see, thus management doubled the amperage of the signals. It's now leading to premature bulb failures.

HAROLD and F use the position lights, except on the Amtrak Sunnyside Yard leads which use the color lights. And I think that Babylon-Y interlocking uses position lights, but you cant hold me to it

HAROLD and F use the position lights, except on the Amtrak Sunnyside Yard leads which use the color lights. And I think that Babylon-Y interlocking uses position lights, but you cant hold me to it

Well, there is an entry in the upcoming capital program "Babylon-Speonk signalization". As I know that Patchoughe-Speonk is signalled for a fact, it is leading me to believe BABYLON-Y is dark territory.

A 2001 physical characteristics map lists Y, PD, and MS as block stations, not interlockings.

Well, there is an entry in the upcoming capital program "Babylon-Speonk signalization". As I know that Patchoughe-Speonk is signalled for a fact, it is leading me to believe BABYLON-Y is dark territory.

A 2001 physical characteristics map lists Y, PD, and MS as block stations, not interlockings.

Babylon to Y is 251-D territory in LIRR language. What that means, it is two tracks, and they are only signaled in one direction. West on 1, East on 2. If you run "against the current of traffic" then manual block rules are in effect, hence why Y, is listed as a block station. It is also an interlocking, controlled by Babylon tower.

As for the PC maps, remember, the final word on what the location is, is by checking the station pages of the current timetable to see what it is listed as.

Just for future reference for anyone who doesn't know HAROLD is owned by LIRR and not Amtrak

Archived