More weird city buses

Dan05979

OK, the Hino was what I was looking for for the other thread.

With the back window with roof mounted A/C, rollsign, doors, windows and lighting, it sure would have been a step backwards with the sleek new RTS's and Grummans (ADB's) coming in at the same time. (though it does seem to be nearly identical to the AMG/Flyer 800, which could also come with the rear window/AC configuration).

It basically would have been an extension of the New Look era. But in retrospect, that would have been interesting, as that to me was the classic "city bus" look. So it was too bad Manhattan didn't get some of these, and they could have been around to the late 90's.

OK, so then with 952, the Hino moved into the ADB style... (looks somewhat similar on the sides to a Grumman). I guess 951 was the New Look version of it. Surprised they would send that as a demo, then.

Or are we even sure 951 was from 1981 and not the late 70's. (and that 952 was the 1981 version, and people confused one for the other?) Even the paint job seems to fit c1978 better. Like this was perhaps to be the replacement of the Flxible New look, but then they just waited and went with the ADB's.

Archived