Students Protest Proposed MetroCard Cuts

mark1447

What are you going to do with those kids who ACTUALLY CARE about their education. Zoned schools usually aren't the best schools and I'm sure people who are gifted enough to be accepted to another better school which might be farther away need their Student MetroCard.

You want it that bad? You better work your ass off then.

Most of the people against this idea are either rich or adults who no longer need the MetroCards and can AFFORD TO PAY FOR THEIR TRANSPORTATION.

Wrong, most of the people who are against the idea of student MetroCards are hardworking people who are sickened by seeing people demand hand-outs just because they don't want to work hard.

Getting jobs in this economy is like knocking a door with nobody inside it.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's food vs. Metrocard, it's not worth it. A child who does not eat does not grow physically or mentally, which defeats the whole point of going to a good school.

Except it's never that simple. No one is really in that predicament, and that's what no one understands. There is always something else that be cut out, or work to be found. You have to be willing to look for it. Saying "I want a job" is not going to get a job. Sending your resume to a bunch of businesses, is usually not going to get a job. Now talking to people you know, offering to help babysit, offering to walk pets, offering to do little odd jobs, finding an old person you know and asking if they'd like you to get their groceries for them - NOW you are talking. But most people will say that's impossible because they themselves won't try it. If you need to, you will try it.

Heck, look at how much money people get begging in the subway. A kid would do better to finance his own education standing there asking for the help of strangers than complaining about the lack of free Metrocards.

When things hit the fan, you do what is necessary to get through, whatever that is. Those who choose to make excuses will never get out of their predicament, and if they do, they will find another predicament that they "can't get out of". The culture of complaint strikes again.

Wrong, most of the people who are against the idea of student MetroCards are hardworking people who are sickened by seeing people demand hand-outs just because they don't want to work hard.

Agreed...especially young people. This country is going to be in a pathetic state if they don't shape up. Many of them have no backbone AT ALL and expect the government or their parents to take care of everything for them.

REGARDLESS of how much or little money they make or how much or little money their parents have

Keep working, millions on welfare are depending on you.

Most of the people against this idea are either rich or adults who no longer need the MetroCards and can AFFORD TO PAY FOR THEIR TRANSPORTATION.

Getting jobs in this economy is like knocking a door with nobody inside it. Especially towards minors. Plus, most students affected cannot get jobs at their age and what are you going to do with them? Encourage jumping the subway?

I pay close to $1,000 dollars a year for my Metrocard, why should I be subsidizing some stinking kids if they don't care enough to get to school.

Archived