Students Protest Proposed MetroCard Cuts

mark1447

I'm actually for the elimination of student passes. The students just act stupid in the subway. Maybe it would be quieter and no students will try to use some stupid excuse such as "I lost my student pass." to get on the train/bus for free when they go over the limit.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still for us being able to keep them...I don't want to waste money on regular metrocards but it's a sacrifice I'll deal with if I have to.

I don't think the MTA is depriving kids of a decent education...its not the MTA's job to educate kids its not the "Metropolitan Teaching Authority" lol...its these idiots depriving their own dumbasses of an education and would rather act tough knowing their not than just do work and shape a good future for themselves. It's just the TA's job to get those who go to schools out of their neighborhoods there...it really doesn't matter what school you go to as long as your doing your shit.

personally I'll say eff specialized high schools...I know kids that go to Stuy and Brooklyn Tech and can't stand it, and a few that transferred out of both...the kids there are stuck up and lifeless lol...but thats for another topic...my point is...as stated above...it doesn't matter how bad the school is, just as long as your getting your shit done. My high school is a carbon copy of Degrassi but it don't phase me I'm still doing the work and avoiding the drama.

But when it comes to this...protecting my offered free rides on the bus/subway to get to and from school I'm going for mines...and protecting them.

I'm still for us being able to keep them...I don't want to waste money on regular metrocards but it's a sacrifice I'll deal with if I have to.

I don't think the MTA is depriving kids of a decent education...its not the MTA's job to educate kids its not the "Metropolitan Teaching Authority" lol...its just their job to get those who go to schools out of their neighborhoods there...it really doesn't matter what school you go to as long as your doing your shit.

personally I'll say eff specialized high schools...I know kids that go to Stuy and Brooklyn Tech and can't stand it, and a few that transferred out of both...the kids there are stuck up and lifeless lol...but thats for another topic...my point is...as stated above...it doesn't matter how bad the school is, just as long as your getting your shit done. My high school is a carbon copy of Degrassi but it don't phase me I'm still doing the work and avoiding the drama.

But when it comes to this...protecting my offered free rides on the bus/subway to get to and from school I'm going for mines...and protecting them.

Want to protect your rides? Write to your state and city politicians that slashed the funds for student transportation.

I don't think the MTA is depriving kids of a decent education...its not the MTA's job to educate kids its not the "Metropolitan Teaching Authority" lol...its just their job to get those who go to schools out of their neighborhoods there...it really doesn't matter what school you go to as long as your doing your shit.

I concur with this post

I'm actually for the elimination of student passes. The students just act stupid in the subway. Maybe it would be quieter and no students will try to use some stupid excuse such as "I lost my student pass." to get on the train/bus for free when they go over the limit.

So because a few students abuse their privileges all should suffer?

Me: I WILL NOT AND DID NOT go to the nearest schools to me because of the violence. The nearest high school to me was the location of several shooting /stabbing fatalities. I will gladly attempt to go to a school that is safer (actually, there is no such thing as a safe school but...), even if it costs a spine and a lung to get there. I can do the same homework as I could at the other ones, I DON'T F¿CKING CARE TO GET SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here I am at a community college in Philly in a special program attempting to finish my HS education. I have to pay for passes unlike some other HS students but that's okay with me.

Me: I WILL NOT AND DID NOT go to the nearest schools to me because of the violence. The nearest high school to me was the location of several shooting /stabbing fatalities. I will gladly attempt to go to a school that is safer (actually, there is no such thing as a afe school but...), even if it costs a spine and a lung to get there. I can do the same homework as I could at the other ones, I DON'T F¿CKING CARE TO GET SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here I am at a community college in Philly in a special program attempting to finish my HS education. I have to pay for passes unlike some other HS students but that's okay with me.

Now see, you get it, you want your education and you will do what it takes to get it. Sure, you might have to spend money out of your pocket, probably stress your finances to do so but at the end you will have achieved your end goal of receiving your education. You have illegal aliens that trek across the desert in the Mexico and cross the border illegally just to get their kids into this country here so that they can get a better education and become something in life. Yet some of kids these days think they are entitled to everything. You my good sir are doing good. :tup:

Now see, you get it, you want your education and you will do what it takes to get it. Sure, you might have to spend money out of your pocket, probably stress your finances to do so but at the end you will have achieved your end goal of receiving your education. You have illegal aliens that trek across the desert in the Mexico and cross the border illegally just to get their kids into this country here so that they can get a better education and become something in life. Yet some of kids these days think they are entitled to everything. You my good sir are doing good. :tup:

Yeah but in my case...what money? Not everyone has money to even try to stress on something like this lol

I wonder if those who take the trains n buses to work saying, "now maybe my commute will be quieter"............

+1 ma man. When your on a train or bus during rush hours its so damn noisy with students chit-chatting loudly and showing off. Even AM rush hour tho not as bad as PM

I wonder if those who take the trains n buses to work saying, "now maybe my commute will be quieter"............

HI-FIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I have to buy a zone pass so I can use it on Regional Commuter Rail. Student Passes here in Philly are not valid on Regional Rail, so I take that to AVOID the inevitable chatterboxes in the subway and EL.

Me: I WILL NOT AND DID NOT go to the nearest schools to me because of the violence. The nearest high school to me was the location of several shooting /stabbing fatalities. I will gladly attempt to go to a school that is safer (actually, there is no such thing as a safe school but...), even if it costs a spine and a lung to get there. I can do the same homework as I could at the other ones, I DON'T F¿CKING CARE TO GET SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU! Some people don't want to get shot. They can get straight above A-s and be in any society they want to be, but they still risk getting shot or stabbed or beaten up, which is why people try so hard to get away from schools like that.

Before student passes, there was less school violence.

THANK YOU! Some people don't want to get shot. They can get straight above A-s and be in any society they want to be, but they still risk getting shot or stabbed or beaten up, which is why people try so hard to get away from schools like that.

Before student passes, there was less school violence.

You can't blame school passes for this...and you can't spend your life living in fear...Did school passes provoke Columbine or Virginia Tech?

Yeah but in my case...what money? Not everyone has money to even try to stress on something like this lol

i agree. it is something that parent's shouldn't have to stress about... but apparently albany disagrees. the same politicians on TV speaking out against the MTA are the same politicians who forget to mention in the same sentence that THEY are the one's who approved the cuts to END the program to begin with. so, if it's not the state's responsibility, then who's responsibility is? the MTA's responsibility is to safely transport people from point A to point B, not fund student programs at their own expense (ESPECIALLY when they are amidst their own financial crisis.) so no, NOT their problem. guess who's left? yep. that's right. the responsibility is left on the shoulder's of the hardworking families in this city who are already trying to make ends meet. think the politicians who are shedding crocodile tears to the media didn't expect this? of course they did, yet they still cut the program. y2julio gave the best advice.

During the fall of 1998 I busted my @ss studying for the specialized high school exam. I studied till I had migraines. I even took a prep course (which didn't help). When I took the exam there were busloads of students at the testing site. It was a 3 hour marathon. Out of 20,000 students who took the exam only 3,000 got into one of the three specialized high schools. After all of the hard work I put in why should I be penalized for not living in Tribeca, Bedford Park, or Fort Greene?

Townsend Harris and John Bowne High School are only a few blocks apart but those schools are radically different academically. A few months ago someone got shot near Campus Magnet (one of the schools in my area). Years ago there was a near-riot at Springfield Gardens High (another local school). Affluent families can afford to spend money on Metrocards. Lower middle class families don't have the same option. This will only lead to more polarization. I wish people would think before they posted.

That first paragraph is completely unrelated to my post. I won't even waste my time dissecting that one.

As for your second paragraph, what you cited proved what I said. Graduation rates are a reflection of the overall attitudes of a population that attends a given school. Let's say the graduation rates for the schools are the following: Townsend Harris - 90%; John Bowne - 75%; Springfield Gardens HS - 50%. What you can learn from these numbers is that among the entire populations (populations being the student body in each school), is how they feel about education. What you CANNOT learn from these numbers is the attitude of John Q. Public from Springfield Gardens HS. This isn't even relevant to your argument, but I think you had a misunderstanding when you read my post.

"Oh just let those hoodlums walk so I can have peace and quiet"

Education is a basic right for all American citizens.

I agree with your last statement. The problem you fail to realize is the MTA is not under any obligation to give free rides to anyone. It is a "quasi-private". That means, even though they get state funding, they have to still be ran like a business, trying to make a profit. Free rides don't do that. Student MetroCards are 100% the obligation of the City DOE, and the State Education Dept........

Besides, from what I was told, MTA never gave out free MetroCards. NYC DOE (Department of Education), always partially funded the MetroCard programs for their students. The city doesn't want to fully pay for the program. It is their students, so the city is the one obligated to pay for the program. For those of you who cry MTA is being unfair, go tell Mayor Touche Turtle, to pay for their students to get to school. MTA isn't responsible for kids getting getting to school, the city is. MTA doesn't send out truancy officers for those who keep skipping school, NYC does. Go take your outrage to city hall, and tell them to pay for their kids to get to school............

+1 ma man. When your on a train or bus during rush hours its so damn noisy with students chit-chatting loudly and showing off. Even AM rush hour tho not as bad as PM

When I am on the (4) line here, and those kids get out of Dewitt Clinton H.S., and on my train, the noise just starts. Instead of talking about school work, they are talking about who disrespected them, and how they want to do this and that, and all I want to do, is tell them to shut the F*&K up, and want to put my foot in their asses. Lucking most go to Fordham Rd, and Burnside, then the peace n quiet starts. Alot of them hang by the emergency gates, so when one exits using the gates, instead of the turnstiles, they sneak in. I know they are kids, but I was raised not to show off, and want to be seen. Believe me it's the parents that are upset, and who need to take up the issue with the city and state lawmakers. The rest of the riding public, is possibly praying to God, Allah, Ganesh, Buddah, etc....., for those kids to have to pay, so they can have a quieter commute.........

Archived