NJ Transit Diesel locomotives stored in Bay Head NJ

Eric Kreszl

NJT is putting those four locomotives up for sale...according to their website. Those 4 locos are retired.

I'll buy one! Give me 4118 and I'll be happy. It'll go great in my backyard. Maybe Trackworker can supply me with some decent rails.

I knew storing it there sounded fishy. I should've seen that move coming by a long shot.

Fishy! I guess the locomotives are that close to Twilight Lake.B) (That's the name of the lake south of the Yard.) NJ Transit Probably is storing them in Bay Head because they don't have room at the Medowlands Maintenance Complex. If I could buy one of the locomotives I would probably buy GP40FH-2 #4144 as it was the last of the GP40FH-2 locomotives made for NJ Transit.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
NJT is putting those four locomotives up for sale...according to their website. Those 4 locos are retired.

A friend of mine who works for a regional shortline is looking at the two GP40FH-2's for use as freight units; this would involve chopping off the cowl hoods and retrofitting them as GP's. When I asked why would they bother when they could get a GP38-2 or GP-40 off a scrapline somewhere, he explained that the NJT locomotives were al maintained "top shelf" and stuff that NJT is willing to write off is rather much better than most of the equipment available on the used locomotive market. (The SW1500's were snapped up quickly because there was "nothing wrong" with them, except that NJ Transit wanted NEWER non-revenue locomotives...........a role that many readers may recall was usually filled by the most worn-out, patched-up clunkers on the roster.)

The WABTECH conversions of some of these locomotives are terriffic, but one wonders where NJT's fiscal responsibility is when they spend all this money for NON REVENUE locomotives while they still have the original ex-CNJ GP40's in service....several of them still with DUAL CONTROL stands for true bi-directional operation.

Aside from the PL42ACs, were any locos purchased new by either NJT or the NJDOT? (I suspect that the F40s in NJT branding were purchased new...but the MTA-branded ones are ex-Amtrak.)

New purchases (not rebuilds) purchased by NJDOT/NJT

GP40P (NJDOT for CRRNJ)

U34CH (NJDOT for Erie Lackawanna)

F40PH

ALP44

ALP46

PL42AC

• 2 weeks later...

As of 1/26/08 GP40FH-2 locomotives #4135, #4137 and #4143 appear to have joined the other four locomotives stored at Bay Head. One would suspect that the remaining "Pigs" will be joining them.

All these locomotives will have a pretty good future in the resale locomotive market. While the "Pigs" were never popular, NJ Transit got their money's worth out of them and they could probably serve many more years if they get a decent shopping.

They represent an era when NJ Transit was very resourceful and creative with upgrading its fleet (the Comet IB cars converted to locomotive-hauled coaches, rebuilt/upraded locomotives for a fraction of the price of new equipment.)

Unquestionably, the old Pullman heavyweight coaches,the U-Boats and the E-8's were "environmentally unfriendly" and technologically obsolete and there was no way around the need to replace them. This appears to be a slightly different story.

Either way some shortline or transit Authority in some cash-strapped state will probably pick them up for a bargain.....New Jersey has plenty of money, there's no need to "watch the pot" and we can afford to be generous!

As of 1/26/08 GP40FH-2 locomotives #4135, #4137 and #4143 appear to have joined the other four locomotives stored at Bay Head. One would suspect that the remaining "Pigs" will be joining them.

All these locomotives will have a pretty good future in the resale locomotive market. While the "Pigs" were never popular, NJ Transit got their money's worth out of them and they could probably serve many more years if they get a decent shopping.

They represent an era when NJ Transit was very resourceful and creative with upgrading its fleet (the Comet IB cars converted to locomotive-hauled coaches, rebuilt/upraded locomotives for a fraction of the price of new equipment.)

Unquestionably, the old Pullman heavyweight coaches,the U-Boats and the E-8's were "environmentally unfriendly" and technologically obsolete and there was no way around the need to replace them. This appears to be a slightly different story.

Either way some shortline or transit Authority in some cash-strapped state will probably pick them up for a bargain.....New Jersey has plenty of money, there's no need to "watch the pot" and we can afford to be generous!

I can't believe these locomotives are down there now.:eek: SAD! SAD! SAD! I guess I will be taking a trip to Bay Head soon.:D That now leaves 5 GP40FH-2 locomotives still in revenue service on NJ Transit. #4136, 4138, 4139, 4141, 4142. If this continues to happen NJ Transit will have no choice but to put the PL42AC's on the NJCL.

Eric

I can't believe these locomotives are down there now.:eek: SAD! SAD! SAD! I guess I will be taking a trip to Bay Head soon.:D That now leaves 5 GP40FH-2 locomotives still in revenue service on NJ Transit. #4136, 4138, 4139, 4141, 4142. If this continues to happen NJ Transit will have no choice but to put the PL42AC's on the NJCL.

Eric

Where is 4144? Is NJT past the breakdowns with the PL42ACs? If I were NJT, I would not try to reinvent the wheel with the internal workings of the P40s and ask MN to send a few P32s over to cover the PJ express runs.

Where is 4144? Is NJT past the breakdowns with the PL42ACs? If I were NJT, I would not try to reinvent the wheel with the internal workings of the P40s and ask MN to send a few P32s over to cover the PJ express runs.

4144 was one of the first GP40FH-2 locomotives sent down to Bay Head NJ for Parts along with 4140. In regards to the PL42AC locomotives I'm not sure if NJ Transit has fixed that problem yet.

Eric

4144 was one of the first GP40FH-2 locomotives sent down to Bay Head NJ for Parts along with 4140. In regards to the PL42AC locomotives I'm not sure if NJ Transit has fixed that problem yet.

Eric

So I guess NJT would not send them down to Bay Head and run the risk of them breaking down on the NEC until it is.

The PL42ACs might live a very short tenure on the NJCL if NJT gets smart, gets with the program, and electrifies the rest of the NJCL all the way to Bay Head already.

We'll see soon because PL42ACs could be on the NJCL by 2009 if they keep getting rid of the older diesel locos.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I have new photos of the 3 latest locomotives sent down to Bay Head Yard for parts. The locomotives are NJ Transit GP40FH-2 locomotives # 4135, 4137, and 4143.

Here are the photos.

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1052320

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1052325

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1052323

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1052321

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1052329

Eric

Archived