Should NYC Split Off?

NX Express

What do you think? Should New York City become a separate state?

Pros:

• NYC loses money to the state every year

• No more Paterson;)

Cons:

• The city might not be big enough by itself

So what's your opinion?

Also add:

Cons:

-The city would lose most if not all of state funding for vital services.

-The city council is every bit as incompetent as the state Senate, so it wouldn't be an improvement.

-Taxes would inevitably go up to cover shortfalls as a result of NYC's current situation plus the above two.

-What to do about riders who use LIRR and MNCR since their districts pay taxes that benefit public transportation they receive? This money is important, but it is enforced at a state level, and if the city was a separate state, may become unenforceable.

and of course...

-Bloomberg would now be governor :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Also add:

Cons:

1.The city would lose most if not all of state funding for vital services.

2.The city council is every bit as incompetent as the state Senate, so it wouldn't be an improvement.

3.Taxes would inevitably go up

4.What to do about riders who use LIRR and MNCR since their districts pay taxes that benefit public transportation they receive? This money is important, but it is enforced at a state level, and if the city was a separate state, may become unenforceable.

and of course...

-Bloomberg would now be governor :eek::eek::eek::eek:

1. We give them more than they give us.

2. Well, the city council didn't freeze in June, did it?

3. See #1

4. IDK, but it's probably somehow possible.

What do you think? Should New York City become a separate state?

Pros:

• NYC loses money to the state every year

• No more Paterson;)

Cons:

• The city might not be big enough by itself

So what's your opinion?

First part of your topic. NYC has about 8-9 million people which is bigger than the population of at least 10-20 states. So the population question is not an issue. So NX did you create this thread mainly because of The (MTA) cuts and the shortfall from Albany?

Also what will this new state of the former New York City NY be called NX?

Realistic fair or not, the only way IMO NYC will 'leave' State of New York honestly is:

1)Washington DC or Puerto Rico becomes the 51st State.

2)The Democratic Party have a long term power at Captial Hill and White House which wont happen in near future.

3)GOP' especially the hardcore consertatives will block it as something like this change requires 75% of other current 50 states to approve. Hell the ERA(Equal Rights Amendement) which would have granted full equal rights for woman died in the 1980's. The last major amendenent added gave the rights of all Americans at least age 18 to vote in early 1970's.

Just my takes.

First part of your topic. NYC has about 8-9 million people which is bigger than the population of at least 10-20 states. So the population question is not an issue. So NX did you create this thread mainly because of The (MTA) cuts and the shortfall from Albany?

Also what will this new state of the former New York City NY be called NX?

ROTFL!

Realistic fair or not, the only way IMO NYC will 'leave' State of New York honestly is:

1)Washington DC or Puerto Rico becomes the 51st State.

Possible.

2)The Democratic Party have a long term power at Captial Hill and White House which wont happen in near future.

Because of Obama:mad:

3)GOP' especially the hardcore consertatives will block it as something like this change requires 75% of other current 50 states to approve.

They have to approve it???

Hell the ERA(Equal Rights Amendement) which would have granted full equal rights for woman died in the 1980's. The last major amendenent added gave the rights of all Americans at least age 18 to vote in early 1970's.

Just my takes.

Replies in red.

If you look into the history of Washington, DC you will know that it will never become a state. It is a federal district for that reason.

It was done so that the government that controls the 50 states would not, itself, be a state. The idea at the time being that it prevented that "state" from getting an unfair portion of attention due to the fact it was the home of the Federal Gov't. A good idea it was and still is today. Washington's current incompetence has nothing to do with its lack of statehood, which I would say actually prevents things from being much worse.

If you look into the history of Washington, DC you will know that it will never become a state. It is a federal district for that reason.

Good point. Off topic for second on comparing NYC becoming a 'city-state' to DC.

I read somewhere about a year or two back, Maybe the Washington Post newspaper in which there was rumors of a compromise deal in Congress in which DC would have gotten 1 Congress Person and 1 US Senator(No Governor for the district) which they currently have none. In exchange states like Utah, Alaska and Montana(all '3' states being GOP strongholds)would get 2-3 extra members of Congress and increasing the membership of US Congress to about 440 from current number of 435.

Probably died during the 2008 elections.

I figured the boundary should be where the MNCR and LIRR serves. Then the MTA will be independent from upstate and focused on the lower portion's needs.

Also someone I know brought up 'New Amsterdam' and I like it. But NYC should still be NYC. I mean they have a Kansas City for Missouri, so this isn't a big deal.

I figured the boundary should be where the MNCR and LIRR serves. Then the MTA will be independent from upstate and focused on the lower portion's needs.

Also someone I know brought up 'New Amsterdam' and I like it. But NYC should still be NYC. I mean they have a Kansas City for Missouri, so this isn't a big deal.

Correction. Actually KC is two and separte 'twin' cities divided by the Missispi River in the midwest. One for Missouri(the larger city and where the MLB Royals and NFL Chiefs call home) and the other in Kansas.

Archived