Fulton subway hub offer over budget

Trainspotter

Only one company bid on the MTA contract to build a domed transit hub atop the Fulton Street subway lines, and the offer was above the project's budget, officials said Wednesday.

The bid to build the glass-and-steel building, which has been delayed and scaled back before, leaves the structure's future unclear. Agency officials would not say if the building would be scaled back again or suffer more delays. Much of a city block has already been cleared to prepare for it.

The MTA said it was considering a variety of solutions and would release more details in the coming weeks. The project's goal is to make transferring between several subway lines easier.

Last year, the agency had to dip into MTA operating funds when the project's cost soared $56 million above the $847 million in Sept. 11 federal funds that was supposed to pay for all of it, according to budget documents.

I don't get it, why do they have to make everything all fancy and elaborate??? it's just a subway!!!

I say all they need to do is just make a few extra entrances, and then the underground tunnels for the transfer.

Besides that modern glass dome thing doesn't fit in with the ancient manhattan buildings anyway.

I don't get it, why do they have to make everything all fancy and elaborate??? it's just a subway!!!

I say all they need to do is just make a few extra entrances, and then the underground tunnels for the transfer.

Besides that modern glass dome thing doesn't fit in with the ancient manhattan buildings anyway.

I agree.

I highly agree, why not use that money for projects involving Queens, Bronx and other boroughs that really need it. Why do they need an elaborate entrance for a subway?

To include a domed entrance over the Fulton Street station would be a total waste. If the MTA has the funds to do so, they ought to use it for something more useful, such as an extension on the (7) or the (J) in Queens.

I completely agree.

I agree.

Same

And yet again brings up this point, "and they want to raise the fares for this?"

I agree on this point as well, I just don't understand the MTA's spending on these stupid things.

I highly agree, why not use that money for projects involving Queens, Bronx and other boroughs that really need it. Why do they need an elaborate entrance for a subway?

I completely agree.

Same

I agree on this point as well, I just don't understand the MTA's spending on these stupid things.

MTA = Money Thrown Away

(another wonderful Strappies-Style anti-MTA word lol)

Archived