BVE 2/4 for Windows 7

Paul P

I'm trying to install BVE 2 on Windows 7, but get the infamous "Could Not Initialize Direct3d" error when starting the game. Before I try harder to install it, is it compatible with Windows 7? I have DirectX 11, and a GeForce GTS 240 with the latest drivers...

I'm trying to install BVE 2 on Windows 7, but get the infamous "Could Not Initialize Direct3d" error when starting the game. Before I try harder to install it, is it compatible with Windows 7? I have DirectX 11, and a GeForce GTS 240 with the latest drivers...

Do you have 7 Ultimate? If so, try the Windows XP mode.

Not on the desktop. I have Professional and I already tried to run it with compatibility mode

The compatibility mode you and I are talking about are 2 different things. With 7 Ultimate, you can download a Windows XP Virtual Machine free frok Micro$oft.

The compatibility mode you and I are talking about are 2 different things. With 7 Ultimate, you can download a Windows XP Virtual Machine free frok Micro$oft.

No. Windows XP Mode is for Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate Only! . ONLY IF Hardware Virtualization is enabled thru BIOS. (INTEL-VT, AMD-VT, etc)

Also using XP Mode is like using WIndows XP thru VM, same thing, BVE worked a bit but had bugs.

Windows XP Mode is free, give u free copy of XP w/SP3 Professional, use it via Virtual PC Window as normal and you can run XP side by side on W7, running on the host Windows 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Mode#Windows_XP_Mode

Alternative is using Windows XP or old version of Windows via Virtual PC 2007 and downloading OS.

Also i wouldn't go replacing DirectX files, that can be a big problem if you need to play newer games that require Dx9 or later and could cause problems to the NT os if it is used incorrectly! As of DirectX 10, 11 and higher, it doesn't have backward compatibility for DirectX 8.x games, Only DirectX 9 and late rgames accepted. You would need DX9 for B.C.

No. Windows XP Mode is for Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate Only! . ONLY IF Hardware Virtualization is enabled thru BIOS. (INTEL-VT, AMD-VT, etc)

Also using XP Mode is like using WIndows XP thru VM, same thing, BVE worked a bit but had bugs.

Windows XP Mode is free, give u free copy of XP w/SP3 Professional, use it via Virtual PC Window as normal and you can run XP side by side on W7, running on the host Windows 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Mode#Windows_XP_Mode

Alternative is using Windows XP or old version of Windows via Virtual PC 2007 and downloading OS.

Also i wouldn't go replacing DirectX files, that can be a big problem if you need to play newer games that require Dx9 or later and could cause problems to the NT os if it is used incorrectly! As of DirectX 10, 11 and higher, it doesn't have backward compatibility for DirectX 8.x games, Only DirectX 9 and late rgames accepted. You would need DX9 for B.C.

1) I already said it was for Ultimate.

2) I said it was a virtual machine

3) Again, as I said it was a virtual machine

4) You said the same thing I said 4 times. (bold in the quote)

5) You contradicted yourself. (in red in quote)

5) It (the tutorial) does not tell you to replace DirectX files, it tells you to add files.

1) I already said it was for Ultimate.

2) I said it was a virtual machine

3) Again, as I said it was a virtual machine

4) You said the same thing I said 4 times. (bold in the quote)

5) You contradicted yourself. (in red in quote)

5) It (the tutorial) does not tell you to replace DirectX files, it tells you to add files.

lol, i guess im going in circles, for the adding, idk how will it work since Windows wont detect those files, unless a command is set.

And yes i know you said it was for Ultimate, but was pointing that it wasn't only for Ultimate bro.

Archived