Boys busted in subway crime spree

Trainspotter

Boys busted in subway crime spree

Two Bronx teens who flashed a gun to rob people on the subway during a two-week crime spree were busted Tuesday after victims provided detailed descriptions of them, police said.

Danny Maldonado, 17, and Julio Alicea, 16, approached other teens riding the 6 train in the evening, cops said. Maldonado then allegedly pulled up his jacket to reveal a handgun in his waistband. "You know what this is," cops said he'd tell his victims before making off with cell phones, MP3 players and cash.

From Jan. 19 to last Saturday, the two allegedly struck five times between the Westchester Square and Pelham Bay Park stations. The victims, none of them injured, ranged in age from 15 to 20. Maldonado, who has one prior arrest on charges of possession of a knife, admitted to all five robberies after police picked him up Tuesday about 10 p.m., cops said. He was charged with five counts of robbery.

Alicea, who victims said wasn't present for two of the attacks, was charged with three counts of robbery.

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - February 7, 2008

When I worked overnight on the Bx19, one night I was pulling into the bus stop N/B at Southern Blvd/163-Hunts Pt. Ave. As I am pulling in, I notice a black Honda Passport, with it's doors open and two guys go running out towards the bus stop. I blow my horn, they immediately jump back in and the driver takes off with them. I have a couple of usual earlybirds same customers at this time. I didn't see them, then they came running into the bus. They said the guys in the truck, pulled out a Hammer and tried to rob them. This was at about 4:30a.m.(IIRC). After that incident my former usuals carried protection (not a gun AFAIK, but a knife).

When I worked overnight on the Bx19, one night I was pulling into the bus stop N/B at Southern Blvd/163-Hunts Pt. Ave. As I am pulling in, I notice a black Honda Passport, with it's doors open and two guys go running out towards the bus stop. I blow my horn, they immediately jump back in and the driver takes off with them. I have a couple of usual earlybirds same customers at this time. I didn't see them, then they came running into the bus. They said the guys in the truck, pulled out a Hammer and tried to rob them. This was at about 4:30a.m.(IIRC). After that incident my former usuals carried protection (not a gun AFAIK, but a knife).

I've heard some similar stories about activity like that going on around here, since I live in that neighborhood. It's shocking to me how it's usually not a gun or a knife that they'll use when committing a robbery - it's usually a household tool, like the hammer you mentioned. A few weeks ago, the bodega on my street was robbed by a thug wielding a clothes iron.

Archived