Intrepid quest to land shuttle: Museum kicks off push to bring in retired craft

Harry

New York officials are upping the ante in the push to win a coveted space shuttle - calling it one small step for NASA but a giant step for New York City.

"If you think of the economic, cultural and educational potential of the shuttle coming to New York, there's no other place but New York," Intrepid President Bill White said yesterday. "These are precious, historical icons (and) they should go somewhere where the most people will see them."

NASA is decommissioning three space shuttles - the Endeavor, Atlantis and Discovery - next year and the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum is on the short list to get one.

White is joining today with Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand and NYC & Company CEO George Fertitta to lobby for a shuttle, claiming it could boost tourism and help counter the city's 10.4% unemployment rate.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/22/2010-03-22_intrepid_quest_to_land_shuttle_museum_kicks_off_push_to_bring_retired_craft_to_t.html#ixzz0iwsttcDZ

post-1-133288581677_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581677_thumb.jpg

I need to go back to this place. I only been to the Intrepid once around my senior in high school around 1991-92. Hope they get at least one of the space shuttles. Those 'babys' has now become a histroric symbol for American space travel in the last two decades of the 20th century just like the apollo space craft was symbol during the '60 and 70's. NYC, Houston, Texas and Fla. should each get one of the three retired birds imo.

The other places to put the retired 'shuttles' is in Houston at the Johnson-Kennedy Space Center Museum IMO and at Cape Carinval.

Archived