Subway station safety in question after collapse

Trainspotter

Subway station safety in question after collapse

After a subway platform edge in Brooklyn splintered beneath a 14-year-old boy's feet, sending him onto the Q train tracks several feet below, the teen's family Sunday called for transit officials to take quick action in making emergency station repairs throughout the system.

"I saw the train coming," said Avi Katz of Borough Park. "I ran to the platform. After a couple tries, I pulled myself up."

The boy narrowly escaped being struck in the Jan. 28 incident at the Kings Highway train station, said his mother, Rena Katz, especially since he was alone and the platform light above him was out. Almost two weeks later, Avi remains too scared to ride the subway again, and the station's 8-inch-wide wooden platform edge remains rotting and disintegrating, said Assemb. Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn).

Full story: amny_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - February 12, 2008

The platform is jacked yeah but the kid should not stand on the edge of the platform i know where he was standing, i work on the (B)ravo and i have been to Kings Highway station where he was "looking" for the train he shouldnt have been..

STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGE he's 14 years old he should know better..

If you are expecting smypathy from me on his part forget it..

I guess all those Yellow Lines and the annoucments saying "plase stay away from the platform edge" mean nothing then huh?

The platform is jacked yeah but the kid should not stand on the edge of the platform i know where he was standing, i work on the (B)ravo and i have been to Kings Highway station where he was "looking" for the train he shouldnt have been..

If you are expecting smypathy from me on his part forget it..

I guess all those Yellow Lines and the annoucments saying "plase stay away from the platform edge" mean nothing then huh?

No sympathy from me for an-knee-one who commits suicide, orz standing to close and eezz pushed onto de tracks mon. But the bloodclot ting fell apat in dis case mon. That supposint happen mon. Could of been any rasclot becoming victim heau mon. Tings supposint fall apat like dis......

No sympathy from me for an-knee-one who commits suicide, orz standing to close and eezz pushed onto de tracks mon. But the bloodclot ting fell apat in dis case mon. That supposint happen mon. Could of been any rasclot becoming victim heau mon. Tings supposint fall apat like dis......

Wait until you get down here in RTO..

Get ready for a surprise some of these platforms are the only things that falling apart..

I did admit the platform is jacked up though but where he was standing he shouldnt have been.

People have gotten their clocks cleaned by trains doing the exact same thing he did.

Wait until you get down here in RTO..

Get ready for a surprise some of these platforms are the only things that falling apart..

I did admit the platform is jacked up though but where he was standing he shouldnt have been.

People have gotten their clocks cleaned by trains doing the exact same thing he did.

I've seen the dummies lean so far over, I though they were going to do a cart wheel onto the tracks. I've seen enough things falling apart up here. Buses needs shocks, artics are so bad, the Union commented to not comment on those (they don't unlock at times, so you get an arm workout pulling in and out of stops, while trying to not let the steering wheel snap back and break your hand or arm), some have a horrible turning radius, when it rains it pours in some buses, and we do have good old MTA duct tape to hold windows shut, and panels closed......

As for where he was standing, if the train came into the station, and he was going to get onto the train, it still could of collapsed. You then must cross the yellow line to get into the train. That is the only reason I have sympathy for he in this case. A platform is for the public to use to get into the train. If it was an unauthorized part different story. But I do agree....you never stand close to the edge. I also make it a habit to go to the 1st car, since everyone else piles up in the middle. The only station I've encountered that it don't matter where you are standing is Turd Ave S/B. It's packet from front to back during the rush. I'm surprised it never collapsed with all that weight on it......

If you are expecting smypathy from me on his part forget it.

Said that right. He should have known how risky it is to lean over that far. You make a stupid mistake, you deal with the consequences.

Archived