Ronkonkoma Branch

Forest Glen

Today I was passing by Penn Station when I noticed that there was a 3:07 PM train to Ronkonkoma AND a 3:15 PM train to Ronkonkoma. The Ronkonkoma branch is probably the second busiest branch but is there really a need for two off peak trains to run that close together?

Looking at the schedule, there are in fact 2 trains leaving at those times. They both run to KO, making local stops east of Hicksville, except that the 1507 does not stop at Pinelawn.

This is what we call "the shoulder of the peak", though. I guess the second train was added because one was SRO (which, according to the MTA, should not be happening on off-peak trains).

Today I was passing by Penn Station when I noticed that there was a 3:07 PM train to Ronkonkoma AND a 3:15 PM train to Ronkonkoma. The Ronkonkoma branch is probably the second busiest branch but is there really a need for two off peak trains to run that close together?

I was on that 3:07 train and it was pretty crowded before we left Penn station. Did the OP notice that there was a 3:00 AND a 3:03 Babylon parade that left in front of us. I think that 1 of them was a special holiday run, but obviously the railroad determined that both trains were needed in such a short timeframe.

that sounds like a good reason, if you ask me at least...

those KO trains get mighty crowded...

Especially at that time because all of the Chaminade kids (the private school right near mineola) transfer to the KO train at Hicksville. That might have something to do with the scheduling of the 2 trains back to back.

Archived