NE Corridor Service Remains Suspended between New Haven and Boston Due to Flooding

Paul P

Trains between New York and Washington Continue to Operate Normally

April 1, 2010

8:30 am EDT

Amtrak Acela Express service between New Haven and Boston, and Northeast Regional service between New York and Boston, will remain suspended through Thursday, April 1, due to ongoing flooding on the tracks near Kingston, Rhode Island. No alternate transportation is available.

Amtrak service between New York and Washington continues to operate normally, but passengers should also expect some residual delays in these locations as a result of the disruption in New England. Service was originally suspended yesterday when flooding caused by recent storms deemed the railroad impassable.

Crews will continue to monitor the condition of the railroad throughout the day and will re-evaluate any additional cancellations later today.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

Tracks east of Providence had 13 inches of water over the rails and rising as of last night. Kingston and Westerly were flooded out as well. Boston crews actually made it down in the morning but then all service was suspended past New Haven. Crazy day at Amtrak yesterday!

Tracks east of Providence had 13 inches of water over the rails and rising as of last night. Kingston and Westerly were flooded out as well. Boston crews actually made it down in the morning but then all service was suspended past New Haven. Crazy day at Amtrak yesterday!

Do you think this will clear out til Monday? I have to go to New London...

Do you think this will clear out til Monday? I have to go to New London...

I'm not sure when service will run past New Haven, this Rhode Island flooding caught everyone off guard. I'll let you know what I hear when I go in later today. Like the service alert says only Acela equipment is being used and they're being turned in the station at New Haven. I went through the area where the bad flooding is on Tuesday night and we could only go 2 mph. The Acela was actually making a wake just rolling along the track, it was some sight to see.

Why would they only send Acela equipment up to NHV? To Amtrak, aren't the Acelas more valuable than the Regional sets?

Or is it something regarding NORAC Rule 117? (from v8)

I'd imagine the reason they are only sending Acelas through (and the regionals that go to/from Springfield) is that they are easier to turn in New Haven than a regional. Acela comes in, mechanical checks it out, seats are flipped and it's ready to go back to DC. Obviously the ridership would be low anyway between New York and New Haven with no service beyond New Haven so why waste the consists and then use more crews to turn them in the station. Sunnyside would also be jammed up if every Acela from Washington terminated in NY.

NORAC Rule 117 isn't found in v9 but it's a Special Ins in Amtrak Operating Rules book. Operating through Water with Roller Bearing Journals absolutely applies up in RI.

Obviously the ridership would be low anyway between New York and New Haven with no service beyond New Haven so why waste the consists and then use more crews to turn them in the station. Sunnyside would also be jammed up if every Acela from Washington terminated in NY.

According to other forums, NHV-SPG shuttle service is still operating, so ridership may not be very, very low.

Archived