NJT ALP-46A #4629 in NJ

Pablo M 201

ALP 46A's are here to replace the 1st generation of ALP-44's.

They're what I like to call ALP-46's on steroids..lol..their capable of hauling a 12-car ML set at 100+ mph which is perfect for the :NEC: Expresses...and their supposed to have extremely good acceleration as well...which is good for lines like the :me::mbl: that have many stations close together.

ALP 46A's are here to replace the 1st generation of ALP-44's.

They're what I like to call ALP-46's on steroids..lol..their capable of hauling a 12-car ML set at 100+ mph which is perfect for the :NEC: Expresses...and their supposed to have extremely good acceleration as well...which is good for lines like the :me::mbl: that have many stations close together.

The acceleration is probably iffy... (as in the same as the original ALP-46's). that's because although they have a slightly higher power rating and newer technology (IGBT instead of GTO), they're geared for 125 mph instead of 100 mph.

Not to mention (NJT) doesn't intend to resume running 12 car sets for a while...

To clarify, no twelve car MLV sets. to run those, you need two ALP-46's, with one on each end, but that kind of operation apparently violates the warranty on the cars, which for some reason were not designed for that kind of operation.

from a practical standpoint, 12 car MLV sets really aren't that necessary anyway. a typical 10 car set already has what? like 3-4 cars closed to passengers anyway...

To clarify, no twelve car MLV sets. to run those, you need two ALP-46's, with one on each end, but that kind of operation apparently violates the warranty on the cars, which for some reason were not designed for that kind of operation.

from a practical standpoint, 12 car MLV sets really aren't that necessary anyway. a typical 10 car set already has what? like 3-4 cars closed to passengers anyway...

I've seen 9-car ML sets on the :nec: that are standing room only. I could have sworn the point of the ALP-46A...was for more horse power and stuff...including the capability of operating a full powered 12 car train. I know there's an issue with operating past 12-cars...but im pretty sure from what I read there are gonna be 12-car ML trains operating w/ALP-46A.

The 12 car sets will primarily be put together for peak hour trains especially the super express movements. They can run with just one loco, however there is not enough head end power on the original 46 for 12, only 10. There have been times when the 46s hauled 12 and 14 amfleets on the clocker runs, however the head end power requirements for the amfleet 1 and 2 railcars is significantly lower than a MLV. The new locos are both geared for 125 mph, and have enough head end power for 12 MLV consist. Be prepared to see both happen. Oh, by the way, at the higher speed, the trip nwk-tre is cut by 20 minutes even with stopping at pjct and ham.

- A

Archived