Breaking News : Track Fire Flushing Ave

Just so you know, It's a federal offense to repeat anything you hear on a scanner to anyone who is not suposed to be privy to the information.
Listen, before you come out and play cop, know what your talking about before making a fool of yourself. That being said, your dead wrong. But thanks for your concern.

you've got radio call signs and what they said on two diffrent trains. unless you're witholding facts about the situtation, the only place you could have gotten the information is over a radio broadcast, the contents of which those of us not privy to MTA comunications, are not suposed to know. That's the law.
Cite me the law. Call Signs are public information. And a trains call letters has nothing to do with the FCC. The FCC call signs are for the repeaters and they are public information. A trains call letters is strictly MTA guidelines. The interval of a train is not an offical FCC call sign. An offical FCC call sign, would be KTA927, which is one of the many repeaters used for communcations on NYCT property. You can publicly view info on calls signs right on the FCC website, at http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

After doing some rsearch, the FCC has said that rebroadcasting (or posting info) on a message board of transmission obtained legaly is ok. Which means, I can post what I heard since it is not info used in the commision of a crime or other illegal perposes.

After doing some rsearch, the FCC has said that rebroadcasting (or posting info) on a message board of transmission obtained legaly is ok. Which means, I can post what I heard since it is not info used in the commision of a crime or other illegal perposes.
Exactly, its perfectly legal to give out information heard over a radio unless, its from an encyrpted radio source. No one in NYC encrypts their transmissions. These knuckle heads just love to try to bust your balls on shit that they don't have any idea about.

(Q6)(W)(N)(E)(D) time to :lock: this thread b4 it gets farther

There is no need to lock it, it won't go any further because anyone who says that this is illegal is just wrong. Now just let the thread die.

From now on leave the details of the source out & just post the relevant facts, a fire, ok so theres a fire, what was the cause, its really hot so, ok something ignited from overheat, ok where was it, we don't need to hear about that it was from a scanner as you are not an (MTA) employee you need written permission to publish things you hear, you can talk about it as in bla bla bla with your voice, but not online. (MTA) is a publicly chartered private entity, not public like police or fire departments (though some FD are similarly chartered).

My 2¢.... If you hear something on a scanner, then its actually happening out in the real world & you dont need to ask if its happening, conversely a track fire is not really news track fires on the subway happen a lot more often than you realize, lots of things that you wouldn't know without listening in on a scanner go on behind the scenes in many transportation systems. I would advise not to post such things as breaking news, because if you go down that road, "oh em gee a train is pulling out of a station i should post about it because i heard on scanner". Just relax and listen and don't be so foamy about it. :cool:

The rules are there to protect employees and the riding public, please respect them. :tup:

- A

Regardless of the legality of it, I don't see the point in starting a thread every time something minor happens. Shit happens all the time, this is New York. Track fires, 12-9's, all this stuff is just another day in the city. Likewise I am against the use of intervals in these as it could potentially bring scrutiny onto the crews (through no fault of their own) since supervision reads this board. I know people want to show off like they know what's up and you want to play with your toy (the scanner), but some things are better kept to yourself, not because they're illegal, but just because it's the right thing to do.

Archived