Triple Header!! (Major WTH Moment)

N-Trizzy2609

Camera-less once again but I just come home to see the most amazing thing. I just came back from a party in Middletown, got stuck at the crossing right next to the station for a train that came around 1:26ish. I couldn't believe my eyes, not one, not two, but three engine were at the end of the 9 car MLV train. 4611, 4609, and 4630. It was IN SERVICE too. If anybody caught that please post pics, because it was amazing. I should've bright my camera.

Interesting. Could be a few things such as equipment move so they stacked on the locomotives to that train OR they could be testing something with 4630 and needs the extra ALP-46s to power (and I know 4630 has been in service for the last two weeks or so, no need to tell me).

I'm guessing the 4630 is moving the other 2 from the yard to MMC for inspection after the heat issues. Were the pans up or down, if up, were they running or silent.

Apparently several locos tripped into overheat safe mode, in which the top speed is 60 mph and you barely have enough HP to get through the north river tunnel with its relatively steep grades, hence the delays. Eeking it out at 60 mph is better than the loco actually overheating & being in need of a serious repair with pax in tow.

- A

I'm guessing the 4630 is moving the other 2 from the yard to MMC for inspection after the heat issues. Were the pans up or down, if up, were they running or silent.

Apparently several locos tripped into overheat safe mode, in which the top speed is 60 mph and you barely have enough HP to get through the north river tunnel with its relatively steep grades, hence the delays. Eeking it out at 60 mph is better than the loco actually overheating & being in need of a serious repair with pax in tow.

- A

Weridly it was going to Long Branch the and I heard all 3 engine's motors (4630 sounds sexy.) All pans were up. There was no dead motor. If you ask me, it was a regular engine move.

I don't really have an answer for you other than maybe they were dropped off, but still that seems odd since they could probably just give them to a relay crew to do that. My only other guess is they were on shakedown runs with the 4630 since the 4630 works.

Like I said things have not been fun if you were on or involved in NJT operations in an area with wires the past few days.

man... that train must have taken off faster than an Arrow set...:eek:

Not necessarily. If they were doing an engine move, 2 of the 3 units could be cut out and only supplying power to the onboard stuff such as brakes & lights etc, or 4630 could have had its HEP off to ease the strain on the new electronics, let one of the other 2 units or both supply HEP. Lots of different scenarios come to mind, however the heat issues only make that the most likely situation after a simple plain engine move. Several usually electric trains were substituted for diesel the other day, they could have simply been repositioning those 46's after the heat related inspections at MMC or SSY.

I myself have seen 3x F40PH-2cat on a RVL train, one in the middle was clearly cut out, but the HEP generator was still running. I have also once seen a double headed 4409 and 4411 on a midtown direct train, one could be fresh out of the shop, or one could have shot HEP, or it could be repositioning after an incident or canceled train.

- A

Not necessarily. If they were doing an engine move, 2 of the 3 units could be cut out and only supplying power to the onboard stuff such as brakes & lights etc, or 4630 could have had its HEP off to ease the strain on the new electronics, let one of the other 2 units or both supply HEP. Lots of different scenarios come to mind, however the heat issues only make that the most likely situation after a simple plain engine move. Several usually electric trains were substituted for diesel the other day, they could have simply been repositioning those 46's after the heat related inspections at MMC or SSY.

I myself have seen 3x F40PH-2cat on a RVL train, one in the middle was clearly cut out, but the HEP generator was still running. I have also once seen a double headed 4409 and 4411 on a midtown direct train, one could be fresh out of the shop, or one could have shot HEP, or it could be repositioning after an incident or canceled train.

- A

I've seen crazy ass engine moves before. The heat already killed 4203, 4418, 4607 and 4602. All are being serviced in MMC now. BTW I saw 4630 this afternoon on a comet train while I was on the GSP. So 4630 is fine and this morning my friend rode to the airport with 4611 pushing. I wondering about 4609.

Archived