Remaking Park Ave. Into a Spot to Splash

NX Express

POOL-articleLarge.jpg

A rendering of what a portable pool on Park Avenue will look like. A Brooklyn company will lend the city three pools. Lifeguard services will be donated separately.

By DAVID W. CHEN

Published: July 15, 2010

For those New Yorkers who never received a coveted invitation last summer to dive into Dumpsters converted into pools in Brooklyn, there is a much easier alternative this year: Park Avenue.

For the first three Saturdays in August, the Bloomberg administration will open three Dumpster pools on the east side of Park Avenue between 40th and 41st Streets.

With Grand Central Terminal and the MetLife Building serving as a backdrop, the pools will be above ground, encircled by a five-foot-wide metal deck with a nonstick rubber surface, and accompanied by several changing-room cabanas, portable showers and portable toilets.

The pools, which will be open 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., are part of the city’s Summer Streets initiative, now entering its third year, which closes off long stretches of Park Avenue and other streets to cars and trucks.

...Read more at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/nyregion/16pool.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion

Theres so many streets in new york city that are in desparate need of resurfacing, bumps potholes everywhere, and all this a**hole is worried about is turning manhattan into one large resort. Wasting money on pool shit and using OUR money to pay cops instead of them fighting crime, getting a special staff to work at this "pool event" The thought of jumping in a rusty old roll-off container filled with water is absolutly disgusting.

I gotta to move to another planet. This guy is out of control.

Theres so many streets in new york city that are in desparate need of resurfacing, bumps potholes everywhere, and all this a**hole is worried about is turning manhattan into one large resort. Wasting money on pool shit and using OUR money to pay cops instead of them fighting crime, getting a special staff to work at this "pool event" The thought of jumping in a rusty old roll-off container filled with water is absolutly disgusting.

He's trying to turn NY into Europe for goodness sakes. Last time I checked we're the city that never sleeps but maintain proper oral hygiene while we're at it...for the most part anyways.

Dan next time you see this going on and the Park Avenue yuppies going for a swim in the dumpster just grab your rig and take out the trash.

Dan next time you see this going on and the Park Avenue yuppies going for a swim in the dumpster just grab your rig and take out the trash.

omg i never thought of that, get the roll-off, hook the cable up and drag that box right on the truck.....subwayguy your alright in my book...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived