Tampa Bay Rays Matt Garza pitch no hitters

DNJ

Tampa Bay Ray Pitcher Matt Garza tossing first no hitter in Ray's 13 year history vs Detroit Tigers won 5-0 last night. That leave Mets & Padres that never had no hitter. Matt Garza allowed only a one out walk in the second inning and pitched to the minimum 27 batters in the Ray's 5-0 victory against the Detroit Tigers in front of 17,009 at Tropicana Field.

This millipede I just smeared on the wall is more important than Garza's no hitter yesterday....

(consider the fact that I think that the Devil Rays are THE most overrated team in baseball)

...but to the Tigers?

Devil Rays? I didn't know there was an MLB team by that name. There's a team in Tampa that goes by something similar, but I don't believe I've heard of the Devil Rays since 2007.

:P

Guest Charles

Tigers you mad, first the Galaragga im"perfect" game, now being no-hit by the...Rays!

That's got to sting, no pun intended.

I only have one word for Matt Garza's No-hitter: FINALLY!!!!

After so many times in which the Tampa Bay Rays (formerly the Devil Rays) have been the victims to no-hitters and perfect games, they finally get a no-hitter of their own.

Now the New York Mets and San Diego Padres are left.

Andy Hawkins for the Yankees pitched 8 no - hit innings, but allowed 4 unearned runs and lost to the White Sox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Hawkins

On July 1, 1990, Hawkins pitched a no-hitter for the Yankees against the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park but lost the game. Hawkins dominated the White Sox into the eighth inning, where he retired the first two batters. After that, Sammy Sosa reached on a throwing error by Yankees third baseman Mike Blowers. Hawkins then walked the next two batters. That brought up Robin Ventura, who lofted a fly ball to left field. The blustery winds buffeted the ball, and rookie Jim Leyritz, normally a third baseman, booted it, allowing all three baserunners to score. The next batter, Ivan Calderón, hit a fly ball to right field, which was lost in the sun and dropped by Jesse Barfield, allowing Ventura to score. The final count for the inning was four runs, no hits, three errors. The Yankees, who had not scored all game, were unable to score in the 9th inning, giving Hawkins the loss.

The 4-0 loss was the largest margin of a no-hitter loss in the 20th century, and Hawkins became the first Yankees pitcher to lose a no-hitter. On September 4, 1991 the Committee for Statistical Accuracy, appointed by Commissioner Fay Vincent, changed the definition of a no-hitter to require that a pitcher throw at least nine full innings and a complete game. Since Hawkins played for the visiting team, the White Sox never batted in the ninth inning and Hawkins lost the credit for a no-hitter.

Archived