Promotion to Bus Dispatcher MTA Bus Company open for filing

BusOperator3319

I know they gave the NYCT Surface Dispatcher exam back in May/2008. I dug up DevilBus post from a couple of years ago.

"Easy test"

You wanna see an easy test? Look at the Dispatcher test that MTA Bus gave in May of 2007. 50 questions and only 8 were math ones. I spent the weeks leading up to the test learning formulas for calculating bus speed and buses needed for headways and none of it was on the test. And to top it all off even though I was # 6 on the list they hired by depot seniority.

1. List # 3509 - Promotion to Dispatcher (JFK and Far Rockaway Depots): This list encompasses positions

associated with these depots including crew, yard, road operations, command center and other

associated functions. The Dispatcher position is represented by the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local

1179 at these depots. Only Bus Operators from JFK and Far Rockaway Depots will be eligible for

placement on this list.

2. List # 3510 - Promotion to Dispatcher/Inspector/Starter/Transportation Supervisor: This list

encompasses all positions in these titles other than the positions referenced in Paragraph 1 above of

this section. These positions are represented by the Transit Supervisors Organization, Local 106. Only

Bus Operators from College Point, Baisley Park, LaGuardia, Eastchester, Yonkers and Spring Creek

Depots will be eligible for placement on this list.

I'm lost what is a Dispatcher/Inspector/Starter/Transportation Supervisor

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

1. List # 3509 - Promotion to Dispatcher (JFK and Far Rockaway Depots): This list encompasses positions

associated with these depots including crew, yard, road operations, command center and other

associated functions. The Dispatcher position is represented by the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local

1179 at these depots. Only Bus Operators from JFK and Far Rockaway Depots will be eligible for

placement on this list.

2. List # 3510 - Promotion to Dispatcher/Inspector/Starter/Transportation Supervisor: This list

encompasses all positions in these titles other than the positions referenced in Paragraph 1 above of

this section. These positions are represented by the Transit Supervisors Organization, Local 106. Only

Bus Operators from College Point, Baisley Park, LaGuardia, Eastchester, Yonkers and Spring Creek

Depots will be eligible for placement on this list.

I'm lost what is a Dispatcher/Inspector/Starter/Transportation Supervisor

Dispatcher=person who send's out buses

Starter=?don't know

Inspector=? Don't know

Service supervisor=the Road Ops who Make sure the drivers arrive and leave terminal on time

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Dispatcher=person who send's out buses

Starter=?don't know

Inspector=? Don't know

Service supervisor=the Road Ops who Make sure the drivers arrive and leave terminal on time

Thank you R110B I should have been more specific I know what the Dispatcher Job entails not sure what a Starter,Inspector or Transportation Supervisor duties are maybe KR can divulge

All those titles are basically just different names for what is considered a Dispatcher. They mostly refer to the job duties you perform. Once they complete their consolidation all those titles will be eliminated. The JFK/Far Rockaway guys are the only ones represented by the ATU and not TSO or SSSA.

I know they gave the NYCT Surface Dispatcher exam back in May/2008. I dug up DevilBus post from a couple of years ago.

Actually May 19, 2007

So who here is going to the "darkside"?:P

Darkside,LOL. By the way the Kool Aid is cherry flavor this year.

Darkside,LOL. By the way the Kool Aid is cherry flavor this year.

the test comes up one a year for LIB employee's . i take it every year so far last 3 yrs.. we dont get extra points on service etc as i know. and starting is 59+k a year and after 36 months to top of 70+ k a year.. i wish some people would retire already..

the rumor is 2 LIB dispatchers might be getting promoted to Superintendents so if thats true. 2 more chances....

All those titles are basically just different names for what is considered a Dispatcher. They mostly refer to the job duties you perform. Once they complete their consolidation all those titles will be eliminated. The JFK/Far Rockaway guys are the only ones represented by the ATU and not TSO or SSSA.

You work as a console dispatcher right? inside an office where it's never too cold or hot right? I believe they call it the "command center" in the MTA Bus division, which is somewhere in East New York I think.

EVerybody has been bugging me to take this test from the start and my answer is still no know I already make 70k A year with my weekends/ Holidays and The Respect of my peeps in the Depot to me you put on White shirt then you forget where you came from Hey DB no offense big guy excluding you cuz I see you haven't forgot about where you came from but the others put on this shirt then swear that we have to bow well my peeps I bow to no one .Some White shirts are compelled to practice what they don't preach like the cowboy days shittt we even have A Suptnd that when he was A Bus Op he was the Road Call King so sorry that life ain't for me and that's the bottom line .... Cause this self Respected Bus Op... Said So(K)<R>

You work as a console dispatcher right? inside an office where it's never too cold or hot right? I believe they call it the "command center" in the MTA Bus division, which is somewhere in East New York I think.

Your point being?

EVerybody has been bugging me to take this test from the start and my answer is still no know I already make 70k A year with my weekends/ Holidays and The Respect of my peeps in the Depot to me you put on White shirt then you forget where you came from Hey DB no offense big guy excluding you cuz I see you haven't forgot about where you came from but the others put on this shirt then swear that we have to bow well my peeps I bow to no one .Some White shirts are compelled to practice what they don't preach like the cowboy days shittt we even have A Suptnd that when he was A Bus Op he was the Road Call King so sorry that life ain't for me and that's the bottom line .... Cause this self Respected Bus Op... Said So(K)<R>

Wow

Never mind, thanks for avoiding the question.

Well your "questions" are already answered in my profile which is available for anyone on this forum to see,so much for avoiding your questions. What exactly are you getting at? Are you trying to bait me into a confrontation? If you read my entire profile you will see I drove buses for 21 years which was half of my life at the time. You will also see that I drove for Steinway Transit back in the day. The days of Fishbowls with no power steering or A/C. I suggest you don't try to make it look like we are spoiled working in a climate controlled room that is full of computers and servers and radios that need to be kept cool. If you want to attack me be ready for me to come right back at you,I'm not afraid of any of you. Especially not anyone who never walked in my shoes. Being a bus fan gives you no insight into what I did in my job or the reasons why I took the promotion. Come back to me in 23 years when you have done all I have done and then maybe we'll talk. Until then,peace out.

Well your "questions" are already answered in my profile which is available for anyone on this forum to see,so much for avoiding your questions. What exactly are you getting at? Are you trying to bait me into a confrontation? If you read my entire profile you will see I drove buses for 21 years which was half of my life at the time. You will also see that I drove for Steinway Transit back in the day. The days of Fishbowls with no power steering or A/C. I suggest you don't try to make it look like we are spoiled working in a climate controlled room that is full of computers and servers and radios that need to be kept cool. If you want to attack me be ready for me to come right back at you,I'm not afraid of any of you. Especially not anyone who never walked in my shoes. Being a bus fan gives you no insight into what I did in my job or the reasons why I took the promotion. Come back to me in 23 years when you have done all I have done and then maybe we'll talk. Until then,peace out.

First of all I am not a bus fan,second of all I wasn't trying to bait you into a confrontation. I could care less what your title is or what color shirt you wear. I was a bit unsure of how many types of dispatchers there are.

Yeah I know your background in the industry and I thank you for any of your informative posts on here, I come here to learn mostly and nothing more then that.

I don't know why everybody assumes that if you aren't an MTA employee on here then you must be a bus fan,bus buff,bus bunny,etc.

First of all I am not a bus fan,second of all I wasn't trying to bait you into a confrontation. I could care less what your title is or what color shirt you wear. I was a bit unsure of how many types of dispatchers there are.

Yeah I know your background in the industry and I thank you for any of your informative posts on here, I come here to learn mostly and nothing more then that.

I don't know why everybody assumes that if you aren't an MTA employee on here then you must be a bus fan,bus buff,bus bunny,etc.

LoL I don't assume that you are I know you are looking for insight into what the job entails because you are more so interested in becoming a Bus Operator

Well if you have a question,ask away. I'm not that hard to get along with and I don't mind answering questions,just ask.

Archived