The Best and Worst company in the world is...

JubaionBx12+SBS

I was watching PIX 11 News this week ans one of Larry Mendte's commentarys had to do with who he felt is the worst company in the world. In his view it was a tie between AIG, Goldman Sachs and of course BP for what they did in the Gulf. He also mentioned AIG and Goldman Sachs playing into the financial collapse that took place in 2008. So we turn it over to the folks at NYCTF. What company is the worst in the world? to add contrast let's discuss the best companies as well.

IMO, AIG and BP tie for the worst, and GE is the best! The latter are obvious, and I say GE is the best because of their jet engines, and they are the parent to some of my favorite TV channels like SyFy, NBC/MSNBC and CNBC.

Edit: Boeing was the best in the world to me before Alan Mullaly left for Ford!!

My top pics are GE, Rolls-Royce(turbine engines), Boeing, Ford, SprintNextel (top notch customer service now, and best plans), Time Warner, Qantas Airways, Continental Airlines, P&G, J.P. Morgan Chase, Sears/Kmart, Macy's, Herpa Wings, Daimler AG, New Flyer Industries, Alcoa, BAE, Honeywell, Best Buy, Berkshire Hathaway, Viacom, Verizon Communications, Kroger, Microsoft, FedEx, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, United Technologies, Apple, Walt Disney, Ebay, Johnson & Johnson, PepsiCo, AMD, Cummins, Dell, Cisco Systems, Sony, Google, Yahoo, Kawasaki, RIM, HTC, Motorola, Millennium Transit Services, Intel & Microsoft

Bottom feeders, and/or I just plain can't stand them: News Corp., Wal-Mart(even though I actually love the place), Bank of America, AT&T, Toyota, AMR/American Airlines, Delta Air Lines/Northwest Airlines, US Airways, EADS/Airbus, Chrysler, Citigroup, Philip Morris International, Intel & Microsoft

Best foreign companies:

Apple, McDonald's, GE, Ford, Procter & Gamble, Boeing, Sony, Kraft Foods, Time Warner, 20th Century Fox

Largest company of the world (Wikipedia): Royal Dutch Shell

Best companies from Europe

Henkel, IKEA, L’Oréal, Cadburry, Nestle, Danone, Märklin, Gerolsteiner, Volvic, Tchibo, Villeroy & Boch, Groupe SEB, Lindt, Unilever, Dr.Oetker, LEGO, Playmobil, Ferrero, Melitta, Hipp, Stabilo, Herlitz, Rosenthal, WMF, Steiff, Siku, Adidas, Puma, Hugo Boss, H&M, SAP, Vodafone, Ubisoft, Vivendi, Grundig, Loewe, Philips, Nokia, Bang & Olufsen, RWE, EDF, Total, Lufthansa, SNCF, Deutsche Bahn, RATP, ÖBB, SBB, Keolis, Veolia, BMW, Daimler, Volkswagen, MAN, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Renault, FIAT, Fendt, Volvo Group, Saab, Scania, Aston Martin, Rolls-Royce Group, EADS (Airbus, Eurocopter), Bayer, Beiersdorf, GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis, Siemens, ThyssenKrupp, Alstom, Bosch, ZF, BASF, Merck, Lanxess, AEG, Miele, Bombardier Transportation Europe, Carl Zeiss, Kettler, Bitburger, Warsteiner, Fielmann, Hess, Rheinmetall (Leopard tanks), BAE-Systems (F-35), Dassault Systèmes (Rafale), Heckler & Koch (G36)

Best foreign companies:

Apple, McDonald's, GE, Ford, Procter & Gamble, Boeing, Sony, Kraft Foods, Time Warner, 20th Century Fox

Largest company of the world (Wikipedia): Royal Dutch Shell

Best companies from Europe

Henkel, IKEA, L’Oréal, Cadburry, Nestle, Danone, Märklin, Gerolsteiner, Volvic, Tchibo, Villeroy & Boch, Groupe SEB, Lindt, Unilever, Dr.Oetker, LEGO, Playmobil, Ferrero, Melitta, Hipp, Stabilo, Herlitz, Rosenthal, WMF, Steiff, Siku, Adidas, Puma, Hugo Boss, H&M, SAP, Vodafone, Ubisoft, Vivendi, Grundig, Loewe, Philips, Nokia, Bang & Olufsen, RWE, EDF, Total, Lufthansa, SNCF, Deutsche Bahn, RATP, ÖBB, SBB, Keolis, Veolia, BMW, Daimler, Volkswagen, MAN, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Renault, FIAT, Fendt, Volvo Group, Saab, Scania, Aston Martin, Rolls-Royce Group, EADS (Airbus, Eurocopter), Bayer, Beiersdorf, GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis, Siemens, ThyssenKrupp, Alstom, Bosch, ZF, BASF, Merck, Lanxess, AEG, Miele, Bombardier Transportation Europe, Carl Zeiss, Kettler, Bitburger, Warsteiner, Fielmann, Hess, Rheinmetall (Leopard tanks), BAE-Systems (F-35), Dassault Systèmes (Rafale), Heckler & Koch (G36)

I was confused for a moment when you said foreign companies till I remembered you aren't from the US.

As for what I think is the best and the worst:

Best - Wendys, McDonalds, Dell, Microsoft, Verizon

Worst - GE (they sell military technology to the Iranians), Geico (Annoying commercials, I can stand that stupid bimbo from Progressive over the gecko), Cablevision,

dang, that looks nothing like the ones we have round here :eek:

Oh, that's nearly common here. The same with Starbucks, BurgerKing and Subway.

mc-donalds-koeln.jpg

doc4b04c3b4465ac3815095081.jpg

McDonald's Euro-style unit in New York City

"McDonald’s redesigned midtown Manhattan restaurant, reimagined with what the Associated Press called “European style,” received an astonishing amount of wide-eyed coverage and surprisingly little analysis. French architect Philippe Avanzi’s interior is nice but it’s most important as a tangible indication of a significant shift in thinking ongoing at the world’s largest restaurant company.

McDonald’s is undergoing Europeanization, a transition to a more sophisticated brand identity that is spreading more rapidly across its global menus than its interior designs.

To see this shift, consider “The Festive Menu” introduced last week in the United Kingdom and the new “Savoury de McDonald’s” hamburger recently launched in France and the “M Selections by McDonald’s” menu just added in Australia (product descriptions are below). These and other global menu revisions–centered on ingredient quality–present McDonald’s food in almost “couturier” terms. They make Carl’s Jr.’s Six Dollar Cheeseburger, Burger King’s Bourbon Whopper or even Wendy’s Bacon Deluxe look very “fast food.”

Such upscale offerings as the Savoury and M Selections aren’t in U.S. McDonald’s restaurants, but they will be because the company–McDonald’s Corp.–is heavily influenced by its European operations.

Take a look at McDonalds sales through the first nine months of 2009 to see Europe’s corporate impact. Europe contributes 25.3% of systemwide restaurant sales but is 42.9% of McDonald’s company-operated sales (excluding franchise revenues). Despite the potential China holds, APMEA (Asia/Pacific/Midde East/Africa) accounted for just 18.6% of McDonald’s $53.3 billion in systemwide sales through this year’s first three quarters.

Europe’s increasingly more confident role within the McDonald’s empire is evident in the green background (replacing the traditional red) to the Golden Arches that the chain’s operations in Germany and France have adopted.

With McDonald’s Corp. Vice Chairman-CEO Jim Skinner at 65, it’s possible he will step down in 2010. President-COO Ralph Alvarez appears positioned to succeed him, but Denis Hennequin, president of McDonald’s Europe, certainly could be the corporation’s next president because of Europe’s significant role in the company.

Burger King Corp. Chairman-CEO John Chidsey wants his brand to take upscale steps as well. In October he announced the company’s intentions to refurbish all 12,000 of its restaurants with its flashy “20/20 Design” in order to assure “the continued delivery of a quality food experience that rivals casual dining.” This is an obvious reaction to what already is taking place globally at McDonald’s. It would be a more believable goal if it didn’t come from a chain having great difficulties convincing its operators to lower the price of Double Cheeseburgers. Convince them to invest thousands of dollars in lavish interior designs? It’s unlikely, at least not soon, for a company that posted a global +1.2% comp-sales performance in fiscal 2009 versus +5.4% the previous year.

McDonald’s Festive Menu just launched in the United Kingdom adds two new upscale sandwiches: The Great Cheese and Bacon burger on a bakery-style cheese-top bun and the Chicken and Bacon Supreme sandwich on a sesame-chive-topped bun. The menu also includes Cheese Melt Wedges “served with “a festive tomato dip,” custard-and-mincemeat-filled Festive Pies and a McFlurry featuring bits of elegant After Eight mints.

Australia isn’t Europe, but it has taken on much of McDonald’s Euro style. The most recent example is the “M Selections by McDonald’s” menu just introduced in Australia. Marketing reprises the “It’s a little bit special” theme used with the rollout of Angus burgers there this summer, and the Grand Angus and Mighty Angus burgers are included in the new menu.

But the new M Menu goes beyond burgers to include new Chicken Deluxe and Chicken Bacon Deluxe (available in Crispy and Seared versions) plus the Chicken Tandoori Wrap, Crispy Caesar Wrap and more. Australia’s “M Menu” echoes the fancy burger McDonald’s has introduced at “Le M” in France, Switzerland and Belgium, “Der M” in Germany and “Il Mac” in Italy.

The “Savoury de McDonald’s” burger is marketed in France with the tagline “Une composition au goût intense” (a dish with intense flavor). The build is a beef patty topped with bacon, tomato, Cheddar cheese, lettuce and two savory sauces, all served on a ciabatta roll (as are many of McDonald’s upscale Euro burgers, including the new Chicken Bacon Melt in Denmark). TV commercials for McDonald’s new Chicken Sensation sandwich in The Netherlands show a string quarter appearing when a customer bites into it. What other burger brand would try on such imagery?

Most QSRs like to talk about “barbell” menus that offer both dollar-menu and premium-price extremes, but McDonald’s is making money with it while many of its competitors struggle. As McDonald’s continues to fortify its premium-price menu—using ideas that already have proven themselves in Europe and elsewhere—it will further distance itself from those competitors." - βurgerβusiness

Hilarious that the world known american McDonald's is ours now;)

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/11/19/news/business/doc4b04c3b4465ac381509508.txt

I was confused for a moment when you said foreign companies till I remembered you aren't from the US.

As for what I think is the best and the worst:

Best - Wendys, McDonalds, Dell, Microsoft, Verizon

Worst - GE (they sell military technology to the Iranians), Geico (Annoying commercials, I can stand that stupid bimbo from Progressive over the gecko), Cablevision,

The military tech they sell to them is dumbed down. Besides, where in the heck do you think Iran got a good chunk of their air force aircraft? None other than us! GE, Boeing and other companies have sold many things to them under US Government approval! So dont hate GE, hate the game!:P

I'm surprised Wal-Mart wasn't mentioned :X LOL

I did some serious adding to my list above!!

The military tech they sell to them is dumbed down. Besides, where in the heck do you think Iran got a good chunk of their air force aircraft? None other than us! GE, Boeing and other companies have sold many things to them under US Government approval! So dont hate GE, hate the game!:P

I did some serious adding to my list above!!

They got the F14 only because back then they were a strong ally, it was when the Shah was taken out they started becomign very anti west and anti american.

They got the F14 only because back then they were a strong ally, it was when the Shah was taken out they started becomign very anti west and anti american.

I agree! And that being said is why they will always have dealings with top world companies. They were a very strong ally! Even though our governments dont get along too well, our business professionals still do on high levels. They have oil. So we give up green. It's sad, but it's reality.

Archived