Should the TA have made an express L?

East New York

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

They could do skip stop after lorimer to and from atlantic ave on the abandoned side and express station at connection stops.

It works for the (J)....

Its arguable whether the (J)/(Z) skip stop serves much of a purpose their either. It saves little time. Certainly in the case of the (L) Line, despite being considered numerous times in the past, it would be out of the question today because of the heavy ridership at almost all of the stations n/o Myrtle/Wycoff. Beyond that, the time saved would be so minimal that it defeats the purpose.

Its arguable whether the (J)/(Z) skip stop serves much of a purpose their either. It saves little time. Certainly in the case of the (L) Line, despite being considered numerous times in the past, it would be out of the question today because of the heavy ridership at almost all of the stations n/o Myrtle/Wycoff. Beyond that, the time saved would be so minimal that it defeats the purpose.

Yup plus with the short headways on the (L) I'd bet more than a few trains each day wouldn't be able to immediately make their next stops immediately because they'd be waiting for the other service to clear out of the station that's supposed to be skipped first. Which means it wouldn't save hardly any time at all in those cases.

The easiest solution to speed up the (L) is to add skip-stop service along the route. Currently, the (L) operates ever four minutes, so if the (L) were to become skip-stop, then the 'A' stations and 'B' stations would be served every eight minutes and that is inadequate service for such a highly-used line.

I'd go for increasing the (L) frequency to three minutes...this way, the 'A' stops and 'B' stops could be served every six minutes...midday service is currently six minutes as well as weekend service, so that's adequate. Either resurrect the (K) and turn it gray, or make two versions of the (L): an (L) 'A' train (for 'A' stops) and an (L) 'B' train (for B stops), both of which would operate every six minutes so the 'AB' stations, which are the heavily-used of the line, would be served three minutes (I'd go for making the skip-stop zone between Union Square and Canarsie, with the 'AB' stations being Eighth Avenue, Sixth Avenue, Union Square, Bedford Avenue, Lorimer Street, Myrtle Avenue, Broadway Junction and Canarsie. Any thoughts on this?

Skip-stops wont work on the L line....I wish the L have it,but in reality it wont work.It will cause too many delays in which the L have too many right now.

Yup plus with the short headways on the (L) I'd bet more than a few trains each day wouldn't be able to immediately make their next stops immediately because they'd be waiting for the other service to clear out of the station that's supposed to be skipped first. Which means it wouldn't save hardly any time at all in those cases.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

That's why I think they should have done it from the start. Either when the line was conceived, or when the MTA first took it over.

Archived