Multilevel coaches

NJTransitFan

Metro-North does not currently run bi-levels.

There was a proposal back in August of last year by Bombardier to build bi-level cars (same cars that are currently being delivered to NJ Transit) for new express service from Connecticut to Penn Station. Bombardier claimed that they could deliver the cars by 2008. The proposal has been rejected.

On another note, I've once read that the bi-levels could fit in the Park Avenue tunnels, but only on the inner tracks.

• 1 month later...
On another note, I've once read that the bi-levels could fit in the Park Avenue tunnels, but only on the inner tracks.

I believe that's for the LIRR Bi-Levels in the Park ave tunnels. The tunnel walls are rounded and the sides and roof of the LIRR Bi-Levels are square. The NJT Bi-Levels are rounded on the top so they would fit. The other problem is the clearance of overpasses in the Bronx. MNRR hasn't tested any clearances for bi-levels yet but the Park Ave tunnel shouldn't be a problem with the NJT design. Any Bi-Levels on MNRR might take awhile, seeing MNRR is still waiting for a final design and testing for the M-8's.

Archived