Fantasy Subway Services & Fantasy Maps

dkpintar

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've had ideas from changing/inproving the subway services for quite some time now. I've seen some great ideas & maps here; some of which have changed what I envisioned.

But I don't want subway services on every corner. So I'm taking the appraoch, like "alargule" and trying to improve the existing services we have, by extension, re-routing or whatever.

Right now I am finishing up my service patterns (example below). I using Wikimedia for strip maps of line which share common trunk lines in Manhattan--but I'm keeping it simple with only two lines to a page. I hope to add a link the this work shortly.

For a large map, I am going with a signifcant modification of Joseph Brennan's map. It has the space I need. It's a bit tedious to work on this map (as opposed to Calgano's which does not have the space on the eastern ends of some lines and a good view of Staten Island.

(5) LEXINGTON AVENUE EXPRESS

ALL DAYS: 6.00am to 9.00pm: 233 St-Dyre Ave, Bronx TO/FROM Atlantic Ave/Pacific St, Brooklyn

Local service in the Bronx; Express Service in Manhattan

ALL DAYS, 9.00pm to 6.00am: 233 St-Dyre Ave, Bronx TO/FROM 125 St-Lexington, Uptown Manhattan

Local service in the Bronx

See you all again soon!

DK

I would recommend using the map from urbanrail.com, which I used for my fantasy map. I find it easiest to edit.

And that is what I have decided to do after a bit of "fiddling" with all the available maps. now how long will it take me is a different story.

My "service patterns" should begin showing on here next week.

Watch this space.

Michael Calcagno specifically forbids people from using his map. That's never stopped anyone.

In any case, there's no potential legal issue unless you either use the map for financial gain or reduce whatever financial gain the creator gets from his map. Obviously, neither would happen from this particular use.

The legal issue is respresenting someone else's work as your own, money or no money. Calcagno specificly made a blank map

http://images.nycsubway.org/maps/yourmap.gif

to encorge you doing it yourself. All he asks is that you leave the design copyright in the bottom.

Yeah, but no one uses the blank map (it's useless), they use his current map.

My first map was started from scratch even though it looks like it was made from the original. It's actually not that hard to start from a blank.

yes, his blank map is very useless--not to any scale like his "real" map. although I'm working with Mr Schwandl's, I still look and play with other maps in spare moments.

Archived