Questions..

Andrew82

I recently mailed out the app for the Bus Operator exam. How long does it normally take to get a test date? Also, are there any books that I should study??

Appreciate the feedback...

Andrew, when you file to become a bus operator, if you filed with New York City Transit, then you have an upcoming test in April (Exam#8006). It always tells you when the test is before you file. Although, you might have filed around last october for list #2801. If you did file for the mabstoa 2801, then there is no exam. They send you a random list number in the mail, and that number is based on the time you filed. SO if your the 3124th person to file, then thats your list number.

You first have to remember around what time you sent the money order and the application in. Then once you give me that information, I can give you a good idea as to what to do next.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

Chris-

Regarding both of these tests, you said that people are getting called for each at the same time. I do not understand how 2801 can get random numbers and how they are getting called same time as 5025 without having to take a test. Do they have repetitive numbers for instance there is a number 3000 on 2801 and a nunber 3000 on 5025?

Thanks!:D

Chris-

Regarding both of these tests, you said that people are getting called for each at the same time. I do not understand how 2801 can get random numbers and how they are getting called same time as 5025 without having to take a test. Do they have repetitive numbers for instance there is a number 3000 on 2801 and a nunber 3000 on 5025?

Jacquie you bring up a great point. This is one of the only things I can not answer. I do not think they are calling 2801 as well, but instead they are calling the MABSTOA list before 2801.

For example, I filed for the mabstoa exam in october of 2005. I got called of that list at the same time I got called for 5025. I took 5025 instead. I know they are combining the classes because I had people from the mabstoa list in my class (the mabstoa list I filed for in october 2005). They will probably get to 2801 after, but I do remember people on this forum saying they filed for 2801 and they took their BOSS already.

So in a sense, I'm just as confused as you are.

You first have to remember around what time you sent the money order and the application in. Then once you give me that information, I can give you a good idea as to what to do next.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

Thanks for the informative response Chris. I actually sent the application and money order in last month, and yes, it is for exam # 8006. I believe the test date is April 26th.

Is the Bus Operator passbook a good study guide?? Do you (or anyone else) know of any others??

I studied the arco bus operator book. It was completely different from the whole test. They changed the test in 2006. I would suggest studying a cdl manuel. The same book you would study to get your cdl. Also, a regular drivers ed book would be a great idea.

I'm sure there are others, but it would also be a good idea to look at the sample questions I posted. Those were exact questions on the last test.

Chris-

They can, as one is for MaBSTOA and the other is for TA. TA takes a civil service exam, then a BOSS "survey". MaBSTOA only takes the BOSS survey. Even though now it is combined, they can still call from both. TA gets a different check than OA. We also get different pensions.

As for the repetitive numbers, yes they do. Two different applications for two different entities. See, in some ways we are combined, but in some ways we are still separate.

They can, as one is for MaBSTOA and the other is for TA. TA takes a civil service exam, then a BOSS "survey". MaBSTOA only takes the BOSS survey. Even though now it is combined, they can still call from both. TA gets a different check than OA. We also get different pensions.

So Mabstoa's pension isnt the 20/50?

So Mabstoa's pension isnt the 20/50?

Both pensions are the same 25/55. But they are two different ones. TA's come from one pool, MaBSTOA comes from another. Reason being is TA is civil service, while MaBSTOA has civil service status, but isn't technically civil service.

Archived