Lotta Tornadoes Lately Eh?

N-Trizzy2609

The National Weather Service says it may make a call as early as tonight on whether this was a tornado or not. Meanwhile a couple of schools in Queens were damaged by the storm. Here Ch.7/ABC story.

Queens schools damaged during storm

BY Lisa Colagrossi WABC-TV Eyewitness News Reporter

QUEENS, New York (WABC-TV Sept. 17, 2010) -- "Several schools in Queens sustained damage during the storm, and some still don't have power today.

School buses could not get near P.S. 174 in Rego Park because of the enormous trees covering the streets and sidewalks.

Parents had to walk their kids carefully around the debris to get inside. The school does have power and will hold a full day of classes.

The storm knocked out power to more than half a dozen schools including P.S. 24 in Flushing.

Mayor Bloomberg said it is nothing kids cannot handle.

However, some parents were not comfortable leaving their kids at school without electricity.

The only school to close was John Bowne High School, which sustained structural damage during the storm."

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7673599

(Copyright ©2010 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

I know it's not right but my face lights up everytime I read that, I HATED that place.

Every other form of destruction is terrible in my eyes. This is the most intense storm I've experienced in my life and I've experienced the East side of a Category 4 Hurricane.

I still can't get over this, seeing people run from the white wall of death (like The Mist movie) then I saw huge trees bend worse than how Palm trees bend in Hurricanes (didn't know that was possible), I couldn't believe my eyes then the white wall just smacked the window and everything was going wild, I had to get away from the window because the lightning was insane and I can tell it wasn't far from shattering.

If I hadn't left school early (not John Bowne) I would've been on the Q30 (or waiting for it) at the time of the storm an probably would've been in the 2nd tornado. But instead I had something else to do and got home about 30 minutes before the storm hit, we got the southern part of the microburst which extended miles out.

Wow. I had class yesterday, and I had absolutely no clue what had happened during that time. When I got in the subway, it was absolutely dry, but lightning hit. During the ride, the subway was very slow, and people were completely drenched. But when I got out, it wasn't raining. At first, I thought it was a hurricane, but I didn't realize it was much, much worse.

Hopefully, everyone in the city (and everyone in these forums) are okay.

I was underground the entire time when the storm hit. I had no clue about the impact the storm had. I got on the (G) train around 5:25pm, just minutes before the storm hit Clinton Hill. I heard thunder from platform waiting for a Queens bound train but no one mention anything about the storm. I had to go to Manhattan that evening and when I got to 14th Street, the storm had passed and had no idea about the impact the storm caused until I saw facebook posts about a tornado watch in Brooklyn and Queens. If I did my normal route to Manhattan by walking along Fort Greene to Atlantic Terminal to catch the (2) or the (3) train I would be right in the path of the tornado.

Archived