Lotta Tornadoes Lately Eh?

N-Trizzy2609

Today, a record of 4 possible tornadoes hit Middlesex and Monmouth Counties and Brooklyn might just got another one. I actually had property in New Egypt, NJ damaged by a tornado. Notice a wave of NY Metro Area tornadoes? (i.e. Riverdale-Co-Op City tornado in July)

Very true indeed. Ch.7 and Ch.2 both had special reports in the 7pm hour postponing "Jepordy" and "Entertainment Tonight" . As far as a possible tornadoe the area of Brooklyn hit was the area of Bed-Stuvy, Bushwick and Williamsburg and also parts of Queens.

The (L)(M) and (7) subway lines was suspened along with the LIRR between Flatbush/Penn Station and Jamaica.

It could be a symbol of global warming. Tornadoes are rare in New York but recently it has been more frequent. Tornadoes as you know frequently happens between the spring-fall season at tornado ally or the Midwestern US. Earl, this thunderstorm, and recent blizzards earlier on 2010 may be happening because we keep dumping our CO2 into the atmosphere. The CO2 stays in the atmosphere for a long time. Since it has nowhere to go the CO2 traps heat from the sun and retains the heat on earth. When the heat rises the Ocean Temperature rises and the Ice caps melt. This allows more moisture like the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean to evaporate and become storms. When we do what we are doing to the atmosphere today more frequently and since China opens a coal power plant once a week. The amount of water and the strength of the storm is doubled or tripled or even quadrupled. This storm is just a precursor. If humans don't change in 100 years the Midwest would become a desert. The tundra of Canada becomes the great plains. Hurricanes and storms would be powerful and uncommon. The 2005 Atlantic Hurricane Season with Katrina would be the best example of a future hurricane season 100 years from now.

We got hit with a tornado in Forest Hills. I was in a store at the time and you could tell that this just wasn't another storm. I was lucky, my rear window on my car (parked on Queens Blvd) was blown out; but the guy parked right behind me wasn't. His car was totaled by a tree.

It could be a symbol of global warming. recent blizzards earlier on 2010 may be happening because we keep dumping our CO2 into the atmosphere.

If this is a sign of Global Warming, then there would be know blizzards because it would be to warm/hot for it to snow. Or thats what i've been told by the media.

It is more likely caused by a La Niña which is following the El Niño we had last year. Or so some Weather person said when Earl formed.

Just watching the 10pm news on Fox/Ch.5 and Ch.11/PIX and I don't say this lightly.

This was a freakin tornado IMO and I don't care what the hell the folks at the NWS(National Weather Service)says. From the news coverage I seen, this is worse than the July twister that hit the Bronx earlier in the summer.:mad::eek:

For the amount of damage it did in Brooklyn and Queens, the TV reporters and their crews were trying to avoid the "T" word. Don't worry IMO it was a twister.

I am going to post this news article and the link

Possible Tornado Rocks NYC

OB-KB307_0916ny_Q_20100916192719.jpg

A flash storm that followed tornado warnings powered through New York City Thursday evening, with winds up to 70 miles per hour knocking down trees, damaging buildings, destroying cars and causing the death of at least one person.

The severe weather wreaked havoc on the city’s transportation system in the middle of the evening commute. All Long Island Rail Road service was suspended out of Manhattan due to downed trees on the tracks near Sunnyside, Queens. LIRR service was also disrupted between Brooklyn and Queens, and the entire 7 subway line was inoperative for several hours.

Several roadways were closed to vehicular traffic because of the debris. A woman was killed when a tree toppled onto her vehicle on the Grand Central Parkway near Jewel Avenue, authorities said.

The storm also knocked out power to more than 24,000 customers in Queens and 4,800 households in Staten Island, according to Con Edison. More than 570 customers were without power in Brooklyn. New Jersey power authorities said about 40,000 households were without electricity in the wake of the storm.

Nearly an hour after the storm passed, 911 switchboards were inundated with calls of injuries but it was unclear just how many were considered serious, a spokesman for the Fire Department said. The spokesman said several firefighters responded to scenes in Queens and Brooklyn where motorists were stuck in their vehicles after having trees fall on them.

Aaron Donovan, a Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman, urged LIRR passengers to “sit tight for the moment” and not head to Penn Station or Jamaica. New passengers were being turned away from Penn Station, he said.

The MTA was mobilizing shuttle buses to take LIRR passengers from the station in Jamaica, Queens, to points east, but Donovan urged passengers not to go to Jamaica because of limited bus capacity.

While a tornado was never officially declared, a trained weather spotter reported seeing a funnel cloud about two miles north-northeast of Staten Island’s Huguenot neighborhood, according to National Weather Service spokesman Sean Potter. Wind speeds of 70 mph were estimated for Staten Island, while parts of Brooklyn saw sustained 60 mph winds, Potter said.

Brandon Smith, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service’s office in Upland, N.Y., said the agency received “lots of reports of damage in Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens” in the wake of the storm. “Primarily tree damage, large branches all over the place,” he said.

Smith said that National Weather Service officials would need to wait for daylight to return before they could inspect the storm damage to determine if, in fact, a tornado hit the city. “The way the damage lies on the ground can give you a lot of hints,” he explained. “In a tornado, you can see the indications of rotation in the debris.”

But city residents weren’t waiting for an official determination. “Very very windy,” said fruit vendor Abul Kashem, 35, who lost about $800 dollars worth of fruit to the storm when his cart near Brooklyn’s Grand Army Plaza was tipped over. He insisted the winds were a “tornado, tornado.”

“I’m lucky I am safe,” said Kashem, who took cover under construction scaffolding that eventually collapsed, forcing him to hide in the vestibule of a brownstone building. “My fruit cart, it flew away.”

Carolyn Davis returned to her home in Brooklyn’s Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood to find massive damage. “The roof in the back from what I can see was completely ripped up. The skylight is busted in,” she said.

Evidence of the damage caused by the possible tornado could be found online minutes after the tornado warning expired at 6 p.m. A photo posted on Twitter’s image-sharing service showed what appeared to be structural damage at the Wyckoff Heights Medical Center in Brooklyn. A photo posted on Flickr showed an SUV crushed by a downed tree in Brooklyn, as well as significant sidewalk damage.

The most recent tornado to strike the city occurred this summer, according to the National Weather Service, when a weak twister touched down in the Bronx.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010/09/16/possible-tornado-rocks-brooklyn-queens-and-staten-island/

PS The tree in the picture above doesn't really look like a ficus. Also since the sustained wind speed was 60-70 mph. It was an F0 on the fujita scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujita_scale

This had to be a tornado. I don't think straight line winds can pick things up, winds exceeded 100mph btw.

There were poles in walls, this was a tornado, I saw the funnel cloud myself.

I'm no weather expert but I also saw a twisting motion in the wind and rain when I was caught in it in Clinton Hill. Listening to Francesa I decided to hang out in the car after parking it for a few more minutes to get some baseball postseason updates and predictions. What a mistake that was. When it started to get really dark I said to myself "holy shit, let me get out of the car and get inside now before I get soaked". I had no idea the intensity of what was about to happen. I ran for my life. I never been so scared of a storm before.

When I left work last night, I was shocked at how dark the sky was. When I got to the lobby, I saw all these people standing at the door and the wind and rain were just ferocious. Sometimes I'll walk out in bad rain but I knew to stay back for a while and once I decided to do that, the thunder and lightning stuck and it made me and a few others jump back because it hit so hard. When it finally let up a good 5 mins later, I headed to my aunt and uncle's house. It was there that I heard that we had a possible Tornado. I wouldn't be shocked one bit if that's what it was.

The National Weather Service says it may make a call as early as tonight on whether this was a tornado or not. Meanwhile a couple of schools in Queens were damaged by the storm. Here Ch.7/ABC story.

Queens schools damaged during storm

BY Lisa Colagrossi WABC-TV Eyewitness News Reporter

QUEENS, New York (WABC-TV Sept. 17, 2010) -- "Several schools in Queens sustained damage during the storm, and some still don't have power today.

School buses could not get near P.S. 174 in Rego Park because of the enormous trees covering the streets and sidewalks.

Parents had to walk their kids carefully around the debris to get inside. The school does have power and will hold a full day of classes.

The storm knocked out power to more than half a dozen schools including P.S. 24 in Flushing.

Mayor Bloomberg said it is nothing kids cannot handle.

However, some parents were not comfortable leaving their kids at school without electricity.

The only school to close was John Bowne High School, which sustained structural damage during the storm."

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7673599

(Copyright ©2010 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

I have never been so scared during a storm before in my life. I did hear thunder for several minutes so I figured ok it's going to be just a thundershower for a few minutes, but once it got pitch black dark outside I knew something just wasn't right.

I spent no more then 5 seconds looking out my window before I ran and hid in my basement.But it was over within a NY minute. I was very lucky, only leaves and small branches fell around where I live. For those driving home in Queens it must have taken forever to get home. Queens Blvd was like a parking lot from Queens Plaza to Forest Hills since the LIE and GCP were backed up.

My brother who lives in Bayside still has no cable/internet but has power. His neighbors across the street are still in the dark. They are giving out free dry ice at Cunningham Park if you can get there.

The back window of his car was blown out, the inside of the car was soaked. He is going to the auto body shop tomorrow, don't know the extent of the water damage but water and electronics don't mix well for sure. It's a lease so he does have full insurance coverage.

Archived