Mr. Screechy (Just One)

R44 CNG

If you wait for all the brake cylinder air to exhaust first before taking power, you won't have to worry about hearing the screeching.

True, but don't you still have the screeching when the train is braking and the friction brakes kick in? I think I recall that that noise might mean that the car's brakes are pretty worn down. Is that true?

True, but don't you still have the screeching when the train is braking and the friction brakes kick in? I think I recall that that noise might mean that the car's brakes are pretty worn down. Is that true?

It's untrue. The screeching is pretty much just caused by friction between two surfaces. In this case, the steel wheels and the composite brake shoes. On an older train (say, an R9), you'll have friction between the steel wheels and cast iron brake shoes...and those too, will still squeal.

Determining whether or not a brake shoe is worn requires a visual inspection of the brake shoe. Every brake shoe has a condemning point that is carved into the side of the shoe. Once the wear gets to the condemning point, time to replace the shoe.

When they were ordered they were suppose to be retired in 1999 at age 35 years old.

Not even. 35 years is the minimum age (for the most part) in which the cars should be kept around. They could have been (and are) kept around for much longer.

It's untrue. The screeching is pretty much just caused by friction between two surfaces. In this case, the steel wheels and the composite brake shoes. On an older train (say, an R9), you'll have friction between the steel wheels and cast iron brake shoes...and those too, will still squeal.

Determining whether or not a brake shoe is worn requires a visual inspection of the brake shoe. Every brake shoe has a condemning point that is carved into the side of the shoe. Once the wear gets to the condemning point, time to replace the shoe.

I understand your point, and I don't want to sound challenging, but then why don't all of those cars screech? I barely remember an R-38 that did, and selected (random, not predetermined) cars of all the fleets do also.

So, my question is, what causes the application of the brakes to produce so much noise? I understand the friction part, but could it be something else, like the wear on the wheels or brakes, which can create an irregular surface between the brake and wheel, causing vibrations, which leads to noise?

(Sorry, that was all just over-thinking and reasoning)

The reason I ask is if the cause of the noise is known, then can it be remedied?

I understand your point, and I don't want to sound challenging, but then why don't all of those cars screech? I barely remember an R-38 that did, and selected (random, not predetermined) cars of all the fleets do also.

So, my question is, what causes the application of the brakes to produce so much noise? I understand the friction part, but could it be something else, like the wear on the wheels or brakes, which can create an irregular surface between the brake and wheel, causing vibrations, which leads to noise?

(Sorry, that was all just over-thinking and reasoning)

The reason I ask is if the cause of the noise is known, then can it be remedied?

Slow release on the R32 equipment (at least those cars left) causes the brake rigging to stay in the "sort of applied" state longer than other cars. The shoes moving away from the wheels combined with the wheels beginning to turn creates quite a racket.

When they were ordered they were suppose to be retired in 1999 at age 35 years old.

Not even. 35 years is the minimum age (for the most part) in which the cars should be kept around. They could have been (and are) kept around for much longer.

If the GOH program never happened, the R32 would have been scrapped about 10 years ago....but because of it, we still have the R32s.

Archived