Derailment at Penn Station extends hell weekend...

robhue

http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=122

LIRR Expects 30 Minute Delays on PM Peak Trains Departing Penn Station Due to NJ Transit Derailment

Customers Advised to Take Subway to Atlantic Terminal in Downtown Brooklyn for Eastbound Trains

Due to a New Jersey Transit derailment in Penn Station, LIRR customers should anticipate up to 30 minute delays and train cancellations during today's PM Rush Hour.

At Penn Station, customers are advised to listen for track assignments at Penn Station.

As an alternative, customers should consider going to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn via NYC Transit for connecting LIRR service east.

Uh oh, it never ends...

Looks like 12 tracks were blocked, then the repairs had a ladder switch & other spots out of service, which basically had amtrak and NJT swapping turns on the remaining 7 tracks that go through to sunnyside & the rest of the NEC. LIRR had tracks 21 and 22 to themselves the entire time i believe. Tracks 8-13 handle the bulk of through amtrak trains, the much larger number of (NJT) use between track 1 and 9 usually, but there's no set rule as far as i know.

Tracks 11 and 12 are the central through tracks, and they were blocked.... Track 5 i believe is where empire service trains arrive & depart.

- A

NJT normally uses tracks 1-12 during peak hours and 1-15 during off hours.

LIRR uses 13-21, though I've never seen a train use anything lower than track 18 during the off peak. Amtrak has access to the whole station of course, but I've never seen it use anything higher than 12 though. What sucked about the derailment so much was that the train came off the tracks while it was making a lateral move. Completely blocking any equipment that was stored "E" yard as well anything stored in the station south of 12 and the empire connection. LIRR had access to all its normal tracks, but Amtrak and NJT obviously had to steal slots from them. Im assuming not all of the equipment was repositioned to where it was supposed to be by the AM Rush because there was a handful of trains that were canceled, such as 6320 and a few others. 6620 had to pick up 6320's stops, Im sure that got ugly being that 6620 is one of the most crowded Midtown Direct trains in the AM Peak period and to have that be hit with stops such as Summit and Maplewood could have not been good.

Once the blockage was cleared and the schedule trailed off they moved all the (NJT) trains where they needed to be overnight. That's the one big big thing about (NJT), they use the hell out of those gaps in the reverse peak and night hours to get stuff where it needs to go, especially :ac: moves. This year i saw 4 :ac: moves, one going 100 mph on track 4 philly bound with 7 cars, was a work geep too. Also have seen ACES. All at levittown station, and the one time i saw an :ac: move when i was going to the airport in philly last month.

- A

Archived