Snow tire chains on buses

Via Garibaldi 8

o

lol its not a stupid question at all, and theres a chance im wrong too but i believe their just a solid beam across

EDIT: as you can see in the image i posted above basically this D60LF is rear powered and it pushed the front half of the bus which means the front wheel is just steering, the middle's just a beam

Yes, only the rear wheels are powered. IIRC, its the Van Hool artics, and another brand that have the center wheel drive.

You only put chains on drive axles.....not tag axles.

That's basically what I said, the tag axles (the rearmost wheels) don't get thembut the ones in front of them (the "center" wheels per se) get them

Stupid question, and shame on me for not knowing this but those first set of rear axels on those tractor trailer buses are they powerd or just a solid beam across?

I always wondered that myself but never bothered asking lol

basically you need chains on artics or this will happen :P

c6fca399c705e21b3c05f8bd74ba7c0c.jpg

Like I said, that won't help the bus from doing that. I had chains/cords, and still jack-knifed. Those chains/cords are only to get you moving forward, but that center can still be sent where you don't want it to go. Turning in the direction you want to go, doesn't straighten up those pusher type artics either. They will still slide as you see it. You just stop, and wait for some salt, shovel, and your supervisors, or a snow plow with salt to show up..........

I wish MTA did get a few Van-Hool AG300 (puller type), and use them in the snow to see how they would fair. The pushers always jack-knife..........

Rear wheel drive is the worst in the snow. My van fishtails

even if there is no more then an inch of snow on the ground sometimes.

No fun when you are going sideways and come close to hitting a parked car.:eek:

MTA has trucks with plows called "Snow Fighters."

But it's a small fleet, they along with DSNY and DOT

have their work cut out for them during a big snowstorm.

Archived