Snow tire chains on buses

Via Garibaldi 8

Something to do with weight of buses and bridges, if I recall, and the treads are of course terrible for the road surface. I believe they try to chained vehicles off bridges to protect the road surface, as it's both expensive and increases traffic to repair the road (same with salt damage).

The first to get chains are always the articulated buses, specifically the early D60s, as from what I've heard they are just TERRIBLE in the ice, and you've got the danger of a semi-jacknife with those...

I was just wondering because when it snows, you have to literally pray that an express bus will ever show up and with all of the hills on Staten Island, I would imagine a few express buses breaking down with all of the hills.

A few years back I literally got stranded in a snow storm. I took an X12 to get in and got off at Manor and Victory. I waited at least an hour for a S54 for a short ride to get me home. Nothing. There were no taxis either, so then I took a Victory Blvd bus to Clove for an S53 that never showed up. I then took another Victory Blvd bus down to the ferry to catch a S48. I got home at midnight after all of that. lol Now the minute I even see a snowflake I leave the office early.

Couldn't you call a car service like you say you do after you get off of the X10? Or they couldn't get there either?

Luckily, in the past snowstorms, I've been able to get around, as I use fairly frequent buses (the S44, S46, S48, and S59). My friends thought I was crazy for coming to school, but, if you're dressed right, it isn't that hard to walk to the bus stop.

(And, on those really bad days, half the class doesn't show up, so it is pretty much a day to hang out with whatever friends showed up) :cool:

it would make sense for the D60's to get them first most early articulated bus models by NFI ( including 01-04 D60LF's ) are rear wheel drive and easily jack knife. if im wrong please correct me lol :P

No you're right, I saw chains on the tires on a D60HF last year on the M100.

Couldn't you call a car service like you say you do after you get off of the X10? Or they couldn't get there either?

Luckily, in the past snowstorms, I've been able to get around, as I use fairly frequent buses (the S44, S46, S48, and S59). My friends thought I was crazy for coming to school, but, if you're dressed right, it isn't that hard to walk to the bus stop.

(And, on those really bad days, half the class doesn't show up, so it is pretty much a day to hang out with whatever friends showed up) :cool:

LOL... Here's what was funny... I did call them. In fact I was down the street literally from Clove Lakes Car Service and they couldn't send any cars to Victory and Clove to get me! They were snowed in.

I notice that they put snow tire chains on the local buses, but not on the express buses when it snows. Last year I remember an X16 almost got stuck on Victory Blvd going up the hill. Why don't they use snow tire chains on the express buses?

I would think because they are heavier, they wouldn't need them........

it would make sense for the D60's to get them first most early articulated bus models by NFI ( including 01-04 D60LF's ) are rear wheel drive and easily jack knife. if im wrong please correct me lol :P

Yeah, you're right, but all of them are rear wheel drive. If I'm not mistaken, Van Hool Artic are the only ones that have the center wheel drive layout.

Yeah, I remember a Quill B/O telling me about how worried they were about the winters after the articulated buses finally hit Manhattan, apparently they get quite a bit of trouble in the ice, so those should be fitted with chains first.

Lexington Avenue is a disaster in the winter! Remember the blizzard of Feb. 2006? Well I was on an M10x on Lex and I thought we going to crash into something like every 2 minutes! It was a 2 hour trip from 125 to downtown. Everytime we got to a hill, I was like "here we go again!"

Interesting... So if Ulmer Park had them then why not Castleton and Yukon? The X27/X28 routes don't any areas with hills really, but Staten Island has hills all over.

...... that is a good question though.

The MCI's shouldn't need the chains. They have a pretty good weight distribution, plus you can always raise the tags to put more weight on the drive axle. Besides, IMHO the DL3/D4500 is one of the most stable coaches built, you really have to f**k up to put yourself in a bad spot in a "D". That bus will make even the worst driver look good.

Never had a problem with the RTS in the snow, another solid bus for winter driving.Talking to the guys at RIPTA, in the snow they fight to get an RTS or Orion V.

I could see the artics needing them for reasons listed above, and the D40LFs and O7s because of the smaller tires.

I've seen chains on express buses but on the real axle and not the tag axle.

I don't remember the SI Division putting any chains on the NGs last year either. It seemed as though there was a special mechanism on the hybrids that lets them drive in snow.

All hybrids (NGs included) get chains. I've seen it all the time when it snows

The MCI's shouldn't need the chains. They have a pretty good weight distribution, plus you can always raise the tags to put more weight on the drive axle. Besides, IMHO the DL3/D4500 is one of the most stable coaches built, you really have to f**k up to put yourself in a bad spot in a "D". That bus will make even the worst driver look good.

Never had a problem with the RTS in the snow, another solid bus for winter driving.Talking to the guys at RIPTA, in the snow they fight to get an RTS or Orion V.

I could see the artics needing them for reasons listed above, and the D40LFs and O7s because of the smaller tires.

The RTS is the best standard bus out there for the winter. I don't think anything handles better.

The Orion VII's are actually the only ones with those dinky little tires.

The first to get chains are always the articulated buses, specifically the early D60s, as from what I've heard they are just TERRIBLE in the ice, and you've got the danger of a semi-jacknife with those...

I'll tell you first hand, they are. I drove them, and even with chains I jackknifed twice, and so did my leader on the Bx19. Chains are to get going, but not for stopping, or stopping a jackknife. In the Bronx, they rarely use chains on 40fters, and almost always put them on 60fters. You don't need to give power to jackknife either. they was those buses work, rear left wheel gets power first (you will see it turning in snow once you release the brakes), then it transfers to the right (just like a crappy rear wheel drive). The pressure goes to the middle, and makes the bus center go to the right. That is how we both ended up stuck. we were parallel to the bus stop also, not in it........

Stupid question, and shame on me for not knowing this but those first set of rear axels on those tractor trailer buses are they powerd or just a solid beam across?

o

lol its not a stupid question at all, and theres a chance im wrong too but i believe their just a solid beam across

EDIT: as you can see in the image i posted above basically this D60LF is rear powered and it pushed the front half of the bus which means the front wheel is just steering, the middle's just a beam

Archived