Bmt tomc

R1103

This came to my mind earlier while I was checking out R-10 pics on nycsubway.

What if (assuming all current restoration done, and restoration for these cars able to happen) the NYCTM could put together some kind of a BMT/IND Train of Many Colors, just like what the IRT has?

It could consist of -

The two R-10s left..

R-11 8013 (It CAN operate with SMEE's right?)

R-16 at the museum.

R-27 8145 (correct me for wrong number :s, and IDK if its still school car)

R-30 8506...

Leave opinions! :):):)

You still need to find more cars. There are only 6. You would need anywhere between 2-4 cars to complete the set. There are more R30's you know. Also I assume there are more cars that exist in surrounding yards, and they could in operational condition.

Ok and?

There are only 5 Lo-V's. That ain't stopping them from running.

You still need to find more cars. There are only 6. You would need anywhere between 2-4 cars to complete the set. There are more R30's you know. Also I assume there are more cars that exist in surrounding yards, and they could in operational condition.

Please just stop, yu don't know what your talking about when it comes to museum cars or the operation of said cars. Leave all that to people who deal with the museum cars like Subwayguy or my self, we have put alot of time into the museum cars and we know what going on.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

The arnines ran in a set of 6 one time

• 2 weeks later...
I really wonder why the MTA stopped painting the trains with the blue stripe, looks a lot better to me imo lol

Pretty soon they're gonna stop with the buses and apply the vinyl crap to it instead.

This came to my mind earlier while I was checking out R-10 pics on nycsubway.

What if (assuming all current restoration done, and restoration for these cars able to happen) the NYCTM could put together some kind of a BMT/IND Train of Many Colors, just like what the IRT has?

It could consist of -

The two R-10s left..

R-11 8013 (It CAN operate with SMEE's right?)

R-16 at the museum.

R-27 8145 (correct me for wrong number :s, and IDK if its still school car)

R-30 8506...

Leave opinions! :):):(

Do you have a scheme of funding to get these cars operable.

Sure, it will be nice to run them, but come back down to earth.

Money talks!

Just saying 17-33 years isn't a very long time if you ask me. Out of all the things I would like to see running all of those SMEE cars would be awesome, but they will have to wait in line.

Right now I'm hoping these run very soon.

img_6342.jpg

I bet the 2010 blizzard couldn't stop them.

17-33 years IS a long time for a MACHINE (yes, a train is a machine) that has thousands of parts which all have to function properly.

A train sitting in a yard for years and years being pounded by wicked winter weather needs lot of work to get it going again.

Like BfM said there is a lot of work required when a car sits outside even as little as 10 years.

Electrical insulation goes bad, creates short circuits, that need to be repaired. Electrical conduit rots and needs to be replaced which means the wires through it need to be re-run, terminals reattached/crimped on and cleaned. Batteries and battery boxes need to be checked too, including especially the terminals, and all the water levels in the cells need to be checked (at least on the older style batteries).

Air components lose their tight seals and develop leaks. In some cases they rot through altogether. Either way they must be cleaned out and replaced. Debris in the air lines can cause other problems.

Blown motors may need to be sent out to be rewound (no, rewinding is not "spinning the motor backwards"...) otherwise they may need overhaul in house which means reinsulating field coils, reinsulating the armature, painting with glyptal, cleaning the commutator and every single one of the approximately 200 bars in it, and then putting the whole motor back together and lubricating every surface that needs it before putting it back on the car's truck. And you may have to do more than one motor.

Physical components become stuck and need to be freed. The steel structure of the car itself will suffer damage both from stress (where it begins to sag) as well as from rust, which means all the failing steel will have to be scraped, the surface cleaned, new metal welded on where it has corroded through, and then the whole thing has to be primed and painted. And not all of the steel damage is on the surface, much of it is often underneath which requires disassembling parts of the car to access it to make the necessary repairs. As for a sagging car body, the camber must be straightened out by placing the car on jacks for a time in such a way as to put upward stress on the "low" parts of the car to level it out again.

Glass must be repaired (some glass is not easy to get, like chicken wire glass on prewar cars), seats must be reupholstered, the whole thing has got to be cleaned and lubricated, and you haven't even gotten to the cosmetics of repainting the interior, installing advertisements, and so on.

Oh yeah, if any of that structural steel that needed repairs was under the floor, you're going to have to redo at least a portion of the floor also if not the whole thing.

So to those not involved in restoration who think they know everything...no you don't...

Archived