President's Day Schedule - Express Bus Service

Via Garibaldi 8

Previously the MTA has run weekend service during this day and I found this out the hard way when I switched jobs and this day became an "optional day" for me instead of a normal day off. Clearly more and more people are not taking this day off, so the MTA should run a modified schedule at least. The only express bus running are the X10 and X1 which are crushed because they don't add any more buses. I actually made sure to take this day off last year and work from home, but I would've came in had they had decent service since it's easier to work in my office. Thoughts on this?

Maybe Pressidents Day (Monday 21 February) should be like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (Monday 17 January) in terms of scheduling?

I think the major holidays should be Independence Day (4 July), Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day and the minor holidays should be Presidents Day, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Veteran's Day. Other holidays: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Valentine's Day, Flag Day, and Columbus Day.

Maybe Pressidents Day (Monday 21 February) should be like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (Monday 17 January) in terms of scheduling?

I think the major holidays should be Independence Day (4 July), Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day and the minor holidays should be Presidents Day, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Veteran's Day. Other holidays: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Valentine's Day, Flag Day, and Columbus Day.

I'd say run a modified schedule. There were so many pissed and surprised people when they realized that their regular bus wasn't coming and then they all came to the X10 thinking they'd at least add a few extra runs, but there was just regular weekend service. :eek:

Note that I listed Flag Day (14 June) as a "Other Holiday". What Flag Day is is the commemeration of our flag which was adopted by resolution of the Second Continental Congress on 14 June 1777.

Also I'm not denigrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. or Christopher Columbus and what they did by listing their days as "Other Holidays". lol Technically, Valentine's Day is not a holiday either.

@NX Express: I did list Easter Sunday as a minor holiday, and some people do observe it, but since Easter Sunday is always on a Sunday in our country, Sunday schedules are ok.

I would say Major Holiday = Sunday Schedule; Minor Holiday = Saturday Schedule; Other Holiday = Weekday or Holiday Schedule (modified weekday schedule).

Is Flag Day really a holiday?

Hell no, Who celebrates Flag Day anyway?

Can you have any schedule with service less frequent than Sunday? Or would service by increased?

Is that holiday celebrated so widely as to warrant a schedule change?

Boo.

@NX Express: I did list Easter Sunday as a minor holiday, and some people do observe it, but since Easter Sunday is always on a Sunday in our country, Sunday schedules are ok.

Easter is a major holiday in some transit agencies: CTTransit Stamford doesn't run that day, nor does Minneapolis' Northstar, and a few others shut down completely as if it were Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Archived