New Routes

Via Garibaldi 8

Increasing X10 service would be better for express bus riders as a whole. The reason being that X1 riders can take the S78/S79 over to Narrows Road, where they have the option of the X1 or X10, whereas X10 riders don't have any options. If you live along any portion of the X10 route, you have no way of speeding up your trip-you have to take the X10.

I wonder how many people currently go over to Narrows Road to speed their trip up.

What would be great is for them to eliminate the Richmond Rd stop or move it to a better lit place and move all of the buses that stop there to the same spot OR make a stop somehow for the X10 right by Clove Rd, this way it would be safer for folks transferring to the S53 since it's mainly woman on the express bus anyway. I don't know about you but with certain parts of the island being desolate at night and freaks driving around, I'm very selective about where I get off at late at night.

Obviously, I prefer to get off in well-lit areas, but if the closest stop is in a desolate area, I just get off and remain aware of my surroundings (the only stop that fits the description of a desolate area is the S46 stop at South Avenue/Goethals Road North)

I agree with you about that stop. They should move it back across Richmond Road. I believe there is a deli and a gas station there, so at least it feels safer.

It would be nice if they could add a stop closer to Clove Road. I can't really see any issues as long as it is far enough back from the intersection (so it doesn't block the turning lane)

Not true at all. they were quite visable. You live in SI, you weren't surrounded by them. growing up, I was using the private lines much more often than the city routes.

Actually, he is right to a certain extent. The ex-PBL's have slightly greater visibility now that they are under the MTA umbrella.

I for one, had never been on a PBL route prior to the takeover, and I know a few other people who hadn't either.

I took a look at the stats. The X64 has the lowest ridership out of all the NYCT routes that were not eliminated. Service was cut back. The only thing that's saving the route is that it serves a relatively isolated area and it's in an area with high political representation.

X63 ridership is on the decline (26.6% over the past 5 years, probably due to the express bus fare hikes and the recession) but it's not quite in the danger zone of elimination. The X63 also has a high cost-per-rider compared to other express bus routes (probably due to its length, but that shouldn't be the basis for determining whether a route is eliminated).

X12/42 ridership isn't much lower than X10 ridership yet the X12/42 is a peak hour route and the X10 runs 7 days a week.

The most cost-effective express bus route is the X27. It travels a relatively short distance and has higher than average ridership. The BxM9 is also very efficient.

More people use the Q3 than the Q85 at night?

The Q3's higher late night ridership is probably because of people who work at JFK. The Q85 doesn't really serve any employment centers-just residential areas.

Part of the reason for the X10 being only slightly higher than the X12/X42 is because the X11 takes some ridership from it. The majority of the ridership during rush hour is on Gannon Avenue, and that is the portion where it shares riders with the X11.

When you consider that the X10 and X11 are really one route, the same way the X12/X42 are one route, the ridership is really 3,890 vs. 2,280.

The Q85 gets more riders than the Q3 on both weekdays and weekends. However, the Q3 is more cost-efficient. The cost per passenger is:

Q3: $1.68 weekdays and $1.72 weekends

Q85: $1.88 weekdays and $1.88 weekends

Part of the reason for the X10 being only slightly higher than the X12/X42 is because the X11 takes some ridership from it. The majority of the ridership during rush hour is on Gannon Avenue, and that is the portion where it shares riders with the X11.

When you consider that the X10 and X11 are really one route, the same way the X12/X42 are one route, the ridership is really 3,890 vs. 2,280.

You could also argue that the X12 serves as a variant of the X10, as does the X17 and X11 to a degree and the reason people flock to the X12, X17 and X11 that also use the X10 is because they live further west on the island and since the

X11, X12 and X17 always take the SIE as opposed to the X10 which only uses it during peak hours, ridership would be even higher on the X10. I would love to see some "peak" express buses run on the weekends, but I think the MTA sees these buses as variants in many ways and knows that those that really need express bus service on the weekends will drive, take car service or a local bus to it. The X10, X1 and X17 all serve as network coverage providers. The weird thing about the X17 is that I feel like it should have service later on Saturday and also be run on Sunday, but for some reason, service takes a nose dive by Saturday afternoon heading towards Manhattan, though it gets decent volume going back to Staten Island, but it stops running around 20:30 or so. I can remember getting on at Richmond Ave and the last stop before the SIE and there would be handful of people riding if that. Maybe checkmate knows why? Do these people take the X1 instead because it runs more frequently or what's the story?

During the hours that the X11 and X12 run, the X10 runs along the SIE, so passengers aren't using the X11 or X12 because they are faster-they are using them because they serve their starting point in Manhattan. Since the X10 runs on West Street, people on Broadway are forced to take the X11 or X12 to get home.

I remember one time, my family had an emergency and needed to go to Manhattan. Luckily, we arrived at the stop about 5 minutes before the bus arrived, and the bus that did arrive had the 3 of us, and then 2 other passengers. I though "this is good for us, but this is a big waste of money for the MTA". I couldn't believe that it went through half of Staten Island and carried a total of 5 passengers.

I can't see why, though. The X17 is the quickest route to Manhattan from the Eltingville Transit Center (at least 10 minutes faster than the X1), which means that, if an X1 and X17 showed up at the same time, a passenger should take the X17.

In the morning, ridership is pretty high though. Usually, all of the seats are filled as the bus goes into Manhattan (usually, there aren't more than a few people standing)

During the hours that the X11 and X12 run, the X10 runs along the SIE, so passengers aren't using the X11 or X12 because they are faster-they are using them because they serve their starting point in Manhattan. Since the X10 runs on West Street, people on Broadway are forced to take the X11 or X12 to get home.

I remember one time, my family had an emergency and needed to go to Manhattan. Luckily, we arrived at the stop about 5 minutes before the bus arrived, and the bus that did arrive had the 3 of us, and then 2 other passengers. I though "this is good for us, but this is a big waste of money for the MTA". I couldn't believe that it went through half of Staten Island and carried a total of 5 passengers.

I can't see why, though. The X17 is the quickest route to Manhattan from the Eltingville Transit Center (at least 10 minutes faster than the X1), which means that, if an X1 and X17 showed up at the same time, a passenger should take the X17.

In the morning, ridership is pretty high though. Usually, all of the seats are filled as the bus goes into Manhattan (usually, there aren't more than a few people standing)

You're forgetting or aren't aware that not all X12s and X17s only run during rush hours. The last X10 to use the SIE is around 06:30 or so if that and they they all take the normal non-peak route. You should see the stop at 13th and Bway where people are clammering when they see and X17. They'll even wait longer rather than take the X10, which I don't blame them. Much quicker on the X17 if you're on Richmond Ave. Me on the other hand I'd wait for the last X12 rather than take the X10 because not only does the X12 bypass all of those stupid stops along the service road, it also leaves me on Victory and Manor where I can pick up a few things from the Met Supermarket, as opposed to the X10 which means that I have to walk down to Victory...

With the X17, it is definitely faster, so any person living on the West Shore would prefer the X17 rather than the X10. Unless it is freezing cold, or pouring rain outside, I'd do the same thing.

As far as the X10 goes, the first X10 via Narrows Road North leaves Worth Street at 7:03 PM. The last X11 leaves Worth Street at 6:48 PM, 15 minutes earlier. So the X10 and X11 aren't competing for passengers.

The X12 does compete for passengers (for people living in a neighborhood served by both routes). The last X12 leaves Worth Street at 8:31 PM, so for an hour and a half, it is indeed competing with the X10.

With the X17, it is definitely faster, so any person living on the West Shore would prefer the X17 rather than the X10. Unless it is freezing cold, or pouring rain outside, I'd do the same thing.

As far as the X10 goes, the first X10 via Narrows Road North leaves Worth Street at 7:03 PM. The last X11 leaves Worth Street at 6:48 PM, 15 minutes earlier. So the X10 and X11 aren't competing for passengers.

The X12 does compete for passengers (for people living in a neighborhood served by both routes). The last X12 leaves Worth Street at 8:31 PM, so for an hour and a half, it is indeed competing with the X10.

Maybe not so much during the pm rush but definitely during the am rush. If you're going Downtown depending on where you're going he X10 or X11 would work just fine.

Archived