Committee Meeting January 2011: Big SI change!

Amtrak7

They (QM16 riders) didn't take the Q35 b/c they're not going to Brooklyn... the Q35 is seldom used for intra-rockaway service...

some of them took WB Q22's, but most would get off at B 95th (or w/e it is.. I know it's in the 90's...) & have someone pick them up from there... there's more than enough space where that street divides, where cars idled/parked...

side point #1

usage on the QM16/17 has always been interchangable...

[*] if someone lives closer to far rockaway, and the 16 comes first, they take 16's & get off at B. 95th....

[*] if someone lives closer to B 116th, and the 17 comes first, they take 17s & get off at B 91st...

^^ the difference b/w those 2 scenarios is:

[*] the pax seeking service towards far rockaway have the Q22 AND the (A) at their disposal.... I'm willing to say that 100% of those riders fitting this commute, cross the street & take the Q22 coming off the QM16, over the (A)...

[*] the pax seeking service towards B116th (and onward) technically have the shuttle [but that option is NOT utilized... at all], as well as the Q22, Q21, & 53... problem with the 21 (besides it's crummy headways) & the 53 is that they don't travel past B 116th, & there's a walk involved coming off the 17 to get to the 21/53.... which only leaves the 22... which is why that pickup/dropoff spot for idling/parked cars was common... I'm sure the MTA picked up on that... which was why they decided to extend QM16's to B 147th....

side point #2

FYI, the Q22 is more utilized on the eastern side of the wye, than it is on the western side.... most 22 riders you see on the western side, are those that, in some way, shape, or form, came off Q35's.... it's an interesting dynamic down there the way they have to get around...

reply, bolded.....

But if a rider lives between Beach 116th Street and Beach 147th Street, wouldn't it make sense for them to get off at Beach 116th Street so they have the option of the Q35, rather than just the Q22.

And personally, I feel that the S59 is unnecessary along Hylan Blvd. Ridership is fairly low down there, because:

a) A lot of the land along Hylan Blvd is parks and forests

;) The majority of the people in those neighborhoods drive

Now, if it were the S89 that were sent to Tottenville, which is a limited and goes to Bayonne, ridership might be higher.

And I don't see how the S74 can really have its service reduced much more on the South Shore. It already runs infrequently south of the ETC.

BTW, if the S56 were rerouted via Drumgoogle Road to Bricktowne (and/or if the S55 were extended from the AKCC), maybe a compromise could be that it is sent down Arthur Kill Road to the S74's terminal in Tottenville (since the layover problems are on the other side of Amboy Road)

But if a rider lives between Beach 116th Street and Beach 147th Street, wouldn't it make sense for them to get off at Beach 116th Street so they have the option of the Q35, rather than just the Q22.

I feel as if you're tryna brow beat me with logic.... but I'll reply anyway...

There's a difference b/w what options riders have available, and what riders actually do, when it comes to public transportation... in my last reply to you there, I stated what those riders, did...

To answer this question here though, sure it would have made *sense*... they could've walked over to Newport & waited 5 mins (and that's being VERY generous) for the Q35... got off at w/e cross street they needed, and that would've perceivably bettered/increased their chances....

As to why intra-Queens travel isn't popular on the Q35, I don't know for sure.... but I have an idea as to why... and it has to do w/ the frequency of buses that arrive @ B 116th vs the frequency of buses heading back to brooklyn... and the ratio is NOT 1:1, regardless of w/e you can derive from looking at the almighty schedule/timetable....

And personally, I feel that the S59 is unnecessary along Hylan Blvd. Ridership is fairly low down there, because:

a) A lot of the land along Hylan Blvd is parks and forests

;) The majority of the people in those neighborhoods drive

Now, if it were the S89 that were sent to Tottenville, which is a limited and goes to Bayonne, ridership might be higher.

And I don't see how the S74 can really have its service reduced much more on the South Shore. It already runs infrequently south of the ETC.

BTW, if the S56 were rerouted via Drumgoogle Road to Bricktowne (and/or if the S55 were extended from the AKCC), maybe a compromise could be that it is sent down Arthur Kill Road to the S74's terminal in Tottenville (since the layover problems are on the other side of Amboy Road)

- S59 comment, agreed....

- S89.... possibly.

- S74 comment, lol... I'm sure ppl. had that general POV about all the(ir) existing routes that have had headway reductions this past june....

"no, not my route... it's infrequent enough... it can't get any worse"

MTA's answer: Oh yeah....

- S56 comment.... well, if that was extended to tottenville via the S74 routing after having served bricktowne, then that would defeat the purpose of having truncated the 74 in the first place...

I feel as if you're tryna brow beat me with logic.... but I'll reply anyway...

There's a difference b/w what options riders have available, and what riders actually do, when it comes to public transportation... in my last reply to you there, I stated what those riders, did...

To answer this question here though, sure it would have made *sense*... they could've walked over to Newport & waited 5 mins (and that's being VERY generous) for the Q35... got off at w/e cross street they needed, and that would've perceivably bettered/increased their chances....

As to why intra-Queens travel isn't popular on the Q35, I don't know for sure.... but I have an idea as to why... and it has to do w/ the frequency of buses that arrive @ B 116th vs the frequency of buses heading back to brooklyn... and the ratio is NOT 1:1, regardless of w/e you can derive from looking at the almighty schedule/timetable....

- S59 comment, agreed....

- S89.... possibly.

- S74 comment, lol... I'm sure ppl. had that general POV about all the(ir) existing routes that have had headway reductions this past june....

"no, not my route... it's infrequent enough... it can't get any worse"

MTA's answer: Oh yeah....

- S56 comment.... well, if that was extended to tottenville via the S74 routing after having served bricktowne, then that would defeat the purpose of having truncated the 74 in the first place...

I see what you're saying about the Q22 vs. the Q35. It doesn't make any sense to me why they would do that when they could at least give themselves the option of the Q35, but if it works for them...

BTW, I think that the Q35 should go 1 block down to Rockaway Beach Blvd and start where the Q21/Q53 do. That way, it gives riders who do get off at Beach 116th Street (from the subway) the option of either route at the same stop.

With the S74, it all comes down to whether their numbers are accurate. They say that only 3% of the ridership goes south of Bricktowne, so that would mean that they could, at worse, reduce service by 3%.

The thing about the S56 is, since it is shorter than the S74, it supposedly wouldn't have the reliability problems of the S74 (personally, I don't see how that one little stretch near Bricktowne is going to make a big difference in reliability. It's not a very big mall like the SI Mall, so there usually isn't too much traffic)

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110124_1045_BUS.pdf

Here they are:

Extend QM16 to Roxbury, April 2011

Move the M9 terminal back to 1 Av, ASAP

Various schedule changes with frequency reductions, April/June 2011.

The big one, Spring 2011:

-Reroute the S74 and S84 into Bricktown Center and terminate there.

-Extend the S78 north via Arthur Kill Road into Bricktown Center to cover the southern portion of the S74.

Looks like the S74 will no longer be the longest local...

:cool:

Very interesting development.

I take it this is connected to 74s & 78s that will be based out of Charleston.

In the future the 55 will probably also be extended to Bricktown.

I see what you're saying about the Q22 vs. the Q35. It doesn't make any sense to me why they would do that when they could at least give themselves the option of the Q35, but if it works for them...

Noticing how the Q35 is "viewed" out in the rockaways, to residents of the rockaways, I understand it perfectly....

I'd like to give an analogy, but I can't think of any other two routes in NYC with which the situation best compares to...

BTW, I think that the Q35 should go 1 block down to Rockaway Beach Blvd and start where the Q21/Q53 do. That way, it gives riders who do get off at Beach 116th Street (from the subway) the option of either route at the same stop.

slight correction, friend....

1) The Q53 terminates in front of the subway station, by itself....

2) The Q21 never terminated in front of there... when green bus lines had it, "technically" it ended at the promenade (although it wasn't the first NB pickup stop)...

some time after the PBL takeover, the last dropoff stop was on the corner of 116th/rockaway bch. blvd (ON rock. bch. blvd)...

The turnaround had it using B. 116th, to bch. channel drive, to B. 117th, to newport, back to 116th, back to rockaway bch blvd for the NB trip....

^^ taking that into consideration, the decision was later made to just terminate the Q21 at Newport/B116th (last stop = first stop)... which is where it shares a terminal w/ the Q35...

---

as far as your idea, I have to disagree.....

the Q35 is perfect right where it is.... it made sense to put Q21's there b/c let's face it, on most trips, no one boards the Q21 there... 99.99% of riders waiting at that stop are waiting for the Q35.... layover area/space was the issue....

putting Q35's where Q53's terminate is not a good idea... for one, you don't want that Q53 crowd mixing in w/ that Q35 crowd.... two, there's barely any space for one bus to layover ON B. 116th, let alone 2+ (whereas, it's not uncommon to see 3 buses parked along newport b/w B 116th/B117th)... three, you'd be complicating the turnaround scenario.... forget about doing that along B. 116th, bro.....

You may not know the immediate area as well as I do... but of course, google maps to the rescue for ya... lol... seriously though, take a look at how B 116th is laid out... that "island" in the middle of the road don't help matters either...

coming off the Q53 (or the QM16), I've made a little game of running to catch the Q35.... there's been a couple times I've had to run to the 2nd stop over on B 118th as it was doing the turnaround... but so far, I only missed one...

anything after like what, 9:15pm, regardless of what the schedule says (don't even know, actually), you will be waiting at least 30 mins for the next brooklyn bound bus out.... the Q35 'round that time, runs when the hell it wants... and it's not like you can walk across the gil hodges (not like I'd even want to, esp. round that time... not in this weather... brrrrrrr...)

With the S74, it all comes down to whether their numbers are accurate. They say that only 3% of the ridership goes south of Bricktowne, so that would mean that they could, at worse, reduce service by 3%.

The thing about the S56 is, since it is shorter than the S74, it supposedly wouldn't have the reliability problems of the S74 (personally, I don't see how that one little stretch near Bricktowne is going to make a big difference in reliability. It's not a very big mall like the SI Mall, so there usually isn't too much traffic)

to be honest, I always found, ending buses where Tottenville high is situated, for lack of a better term, stupid.... I understand that they used to interline there, but I still think more could be made of/from the S56 (much like what was done w/ the S55)...

it'd be rather redundant in sending 55's to bricktowne; wasteful to parallel it w/ the 74 north, then west of bloomingdale/woodrow...

The way I visualize it all, you could have service to bricktowne from the south [s78], service from the north [s74/84], and service "in-between" the aforementioned 2 routes [s56]... of course, you'd have access to ETC w/ the 56 & 74, and to SI mall w/ the S56....

anyone needing tottenville HS would have to take the 55 as a result...

I wouldn't worry about reliability issues as a result of extending the 56 to Bricktowne....

That's why I said that there wasn't any point in twisting up the S56 to serve Tottenville High School and Bricktowne. Some extra runs around school arrival/dismissal time would be sufficient.

You're right that the S55 can just remain where it is. It just wouldn't be able to compete with the S56 (in terms of directness). The only (potential) riders would be along Bloomingdale Road, but most of those riders would just walk to the S56 or S74.

I just realized that Bricktowne has easy access to the Outerbridge (I thought it would have to make some crazy loop to get onto the bridge). If that is the case, maybe the S56 would eventually be able to extend to Perth Amboy.

Archived