Is new technology the MTA's greatest need?

BrooklynBus

Malformed statement.

We as a society have become dependent on technology. That's my point. If we rolled back the time and resorted back to our cave man like way of living then sure we wouldn't need technology, but the world has become so global that without it things would be drastically different.

P.S. I fixed my typo, as the sentence read awkwardly previously.

Easy. There are many ways to do it without money! Business Administration 101.

We dont NEED technology. All we NEED is food and water. Technology is not always the best thing across the board for all organizations.

I don't know about that mate... It seems like anytime I hear about unions in general is when they're fighting to save jobs, benefits or raises... I totally understand the need to and all but we do live in a very materialistic society, so give a few examples of what you would do without any monetary fixes.

Although everyone wants to earn more money, sometimes a simple thank you, or a "Good job" for a job well done is all that is needed so that someone knows his work is appreciated. You would be surprised at how little that occurs.

I once single-handledly saved the MTA $4 million by noticing something because I was doing my job well. No fiscal crisis, but do you think I received a merit, bonus, or promotion for it? No. Just a written thank you saying "Good job" on an undated post-it with my name spelled wrong. Sorry, but that time, it wasn't enough.

Anytime you save the company money naturally you want a raise or a bonus. Thank yous are great and my boss pushes them my way a lot, but when the end of the year comes that's when I get to see how valid those thank yous are. Of course I like the bonus, but sometimes the gifts I get I enjoy too. She knows I'm big on fine dining so she'll bring me stuff from Italy that I enjoy since she travels to Europe during the year for business trips and such.

I don't know about that mate... It seems like anytime I hear about unions in general is when they're fighting to save jobs, benefits or raises... I totally understand the need to and all but we do live in a very materialistic society, so give a few examples of what you would do without any monetary fixes.

BrooklynBus pretty much answered that one for me. It's about how you treat your employees. TA employees are so complacent these days because nobody recognizes them. They go to work, do a job, and go home. Thats all many of them them care about. Happy employees = great performance, boosted productivity, and less problems. The TA needs to recognize that B/O's, T/O's, C/R's, and station agents are on ther front lines, and represent the face of MTA.

How can customers have a better attitude about MTA if they see that many employees don't even care?

BrooklynBus pretty much answered that one for me. It's about how you treat your employees. TA employees are so complacent these days because nobody recognizes them. They go to work, do a job, and go home. Thats all many of them them care about. Happy employees = great performance, boosted productivity, and less problems. The TA needs to recognize that B/O's, T/O's, C/R's, and station agents are on ther front lines, and represent the face of MTA.

How can customers have a better attitude about MTA if they see that many employees don't even care?

Well I think you've got a point there. I've noticed that when B/Os and other employees do good deeds I don't hear too much from the MTA. It seems like they're so concerned about law suits and figures that those things take priority over the employees.

I've worked for large companies and small ones and I think it can better to work for small companies just because with big companies I feel like everyone knows each other less. It's a bit more informal with small companies.

I dont think they will get rid of the (Z). Otherwise Nassau Street Riders during rush hours would be very upset, the (J) makes too many stops. And its not as fast as the (L).

I think if anymore lines are cut on the subway, then there wont be enough trains, there will be too much overcrowding :cry:

Though to get back on topic, I have realized that the SMEE's are starting to fall apart, so new technology is needed... B)

Not neccesarily. Think of how many times the (Z) has been close to elimination.

Although we don't like to think about it, the 'TA really doesn't care about what riders think anymore, and they just try to go for money. But, you can't blame them, if they had it, maybe they would give more of a sh*t.

They didn't make those cuts last year to anger riders. They made them to save money, and lower their annual budget.

Well I think you've got a point there. I've noticed that when B/Os and other employees do good deeds I don't hear too much from the MTA. It seems like they're so concerned about law suits and figures that those things take priority over the employees.

To add to what you and East New York stated, there is also the other side of the coin. Not only are good deeds not rewarded. You are sometimes punished for a good deed because of some work regulation that takes precedence over common sense. The MTA is always petty over some nonsense. Here are just two examples:

I remember reading a few years ago when a B/0 was brought up on charges for leaving his bus unattended. (I've seen many B/Os who leave their bus with passengers unattended for an emergency bathroom break or two buy a cup of coffee and nothing happens to them because no harm is done.) This guy left is bus for two minutes to apprehend a thief who he saw snatch a purse from someone as she was about to enter his bus. Don't remember why he was targeted. Maybe someone complained. But the charges weren't dropped until he went to the Daily News and made a stink about it.

Instance #2. A trackworker found a wallet on the tracks in the 1980s with cash and many credit cards. He noticed the person lived five minutes from where he found the wallet. Not wanting her to go to the bother of having to cancel the cards and also worried about what might happen to the money if it passed through too many hands, he decided to return it to her personally on his own time after he clocked out. The woman was so grateful because she was just about to start notifying the credit card companies of her loss, that she wrote a letter of commendation for him and sent it off to the MTA.

Well, that's all the employee needed. Next thing he knows, he's attending a disciplinary hearing for failing to follow proper procedure of turning in the wallet to his supervisor. When he tried to explain his rationale that that process would have taken a minimum of three days, he was accused of being a pervert. The hearing officers claimed without any evidence that the only reason he wanted to return the wallet personally was to meet the woman and possibly obtain a date with her! The conclusion of two members of the Board was that the worker should be suspended without pay for three days! I know this story really happened because the third person on the Board who didn't agree with the majority decision was a former co-worker of mine.

This is the type of nonsense that goes on at the MTA. Now, how many workers who hear these types of stories will help riders in need in the future? Sure you will occasionally read about a transit worker who is honored as a hero. Gets to shake the hand of the President in a public ceremony that is soon forgotten and receives a piece of paper of commendation, but nothing more. But then there are also the stories I just told you about.

Rules cannot be made that foresee every single type of situation, and people need use some common sense to know when these rules need to be bent. But common sense at the MTA is something that is sorely lacking.

I once received a phone call from a vendor complimenting me for the way I administered a sole-source contract because he thought I had done a super job. He asked if there was anything he could do more me. I told him that he could put in writing what he told me and send it to the Senior VP. The following week, I get called in the the Senior VPs office. I am told that he just received a very complimentary letter about me and he was going to put it in my personnel file. That's exactly what he did and nothing further ever happened. Don't think he even told the three levels in the bureaucracy between us. Business continued as usual. Now you would think someone that high up in the chain would know the importance of appreciating employees who do a superior job.

To add to what you and East New York stated, there is also the other side of the coin. Not only are good deeds not rewarded. You are sometimes punished for a good deed because of some work regulation that takes precedence over common sense. The MTA is always petty over some nonsense. Here are just two examples:

I remember reading a few years ago when a B/0 was brought up on charges for leaving his bus unattended. (I've seen many B/Os who leave their bus with passengers unattended for an emergency bathroom break or two buy a cup of coffee and nothing happens to them because no harm is done.) This guy left is bus for two minutes to apprehend a thief who he saw snatch a purse from someone as she was about to enter his bus. Don't remember why he was targeted. Maybe someone complained. But the charges weren't dropped until he went to the Daily News and made a stink about it.

Instance #2. A trackworker found a wallet on the tracks in the 1980s with cash and many credit cards. He noticed the person lived five minutes from where he found the wallet. Not wanting her to go to the bother of having to cancel the cards and also worried about what might happen to the money if it passed through too many hands, he decided to return it to her personally on his own time after he clocked out. The woman was so grateful because she was just about to start notifying the credit card companies of her loss, that she wrote a letter of commendation for him and sent it off to the MTA.

Well, that's all the employee needed. Next thing he knows, he's attending a disciplinary hearing for failing to follow proper procedure of turning in the wallet to his supervisor. When he tried to explain his rationale that that process would have taken a minimum of three days, he was accused of being a pervert. The hearing officers claimed without any evidence that the only reason he wanted to return the wallet personally was to meet the woman and possibly obtain a date with her! The conclusion of two members of the Board was that the worker should be suspended without pay for three days! I know this story really happened because the third person on the Board who didn't agree with the majority decision was a former co-worker of mine.

This is the type of nonsense that goes on at the MTA. Now, how many workers who hear these types of stories will help riders in need in the future? Sure you will occasionally read about a transit worker who is honored as a hero. Gets to shake the hand of the President in a public ceremony that is soon forgotten and receives a piece of paper of commendation, but nothing more. But then there are also the stories I just told you about.

Rules cannot be made that foresee every single type of situation, and people need use some common sense to know when these rules need to be bent. But common sense at the MTA is something that is sorely lacking.

I once received a phone call from a vendor complimenting me for the way I administered a sole-source contract because he thought I had done a super job. He asked if there was anything he could do more me. I told him that he could put in writing what he told me and send it to the Senior VP. The following week, I get called in the the Senior VPs office. I am told that he just received a very complimentary letter about me and he was going to put it in my personnel file. That's exactly what he did and nothing further ever happened. Don't think he even told the three levels in the bureaucracy between us. Business continued as usual. Now you would think someone that high up in the chain would know the importance of appreciating employees who do a superior job.

I have to laugh at the last part... Just funny and typical at the MTA. When I interned for them for two summers when I was in high school I didn't have many problems. The only thing they were sticklers about was attendance. Some guy would come around on Thursdays thoroughly checking the days we came in and the hours we left and such since we were given Fridays off. Other than that I had no problems.

At the 370 Jay St location where I worked both summers they had a dude with a cart that would come through the hall in the afternoon with snacks and such, which was pretty convenient but fattening since it was all junk food mainly. But the office employees seem to have it made. Nobody was working really hard and half the time I just sat there bored out of my mind w/nothing to do. My second summer the supervisor would let me out a bit early since he liked my work ethic and all. I guess he should've since I was doing most of his work anyway. lol

I have to laugh at the last part... Just funny and typical at the MTA. When I interned for them for two summers when I was in high school I didn't have many problems. The only thing they were sticklers about was attendance. Some guy would come around on Thursdays thoroughly checking the days we came in and the hours we left and such since we were given Fridays off. Other than that I had no problems.

At the 370 Jay St location where I worked both summers they had a dude with a cart that come through the hall in the afternoon with snacks and such which was pretty convenient but fattening since it was all junk food mainly. But the office employees seem to have it made. Nobody was working really hard and half the time I just sat there bored out of my mind w/nothing to do. My second summer the supervisor would let me out a bit early since he liked my work ethic and all. I guess he should've since I was doing most of his work anyway. lol

I couldn't agree with you more about that assessment. In fact, I think I know which dude with the cart you are talking about. He was there for like 30 years and still looked like a kid.

In fact, I was actually the first MTA intern in 1970 before any formal programs existed. My teacher arranged it through a connection he had. The story was funny as hell. My entire class was in stitches when I told it to them. I made whatever I could still remember as the first chapter of my autobiography if I ever finish writing it. All I will say now is that no one knew what the word "intern" meant. They must have thought I was a doctor because I received the royal treatment, including the entire senior staff shaking my hand, but I quit after only two days (only to come back 11 years later as a full time employee for the next 25 years. To entice me to stay, they offered to give me what became the President's office where I did work my second day because it was vacant (the head of the organization moved to Manhattan), and a free lunch. But it wasn't enough. I finished my internship working for a local politician.

I couldn't agree with you more about that assessment. In fact, I think I know which dude with the cart you are talking about. He was there for like 30 years and still looked like a kid.

In fact, I was actually the first MTA intern in 1970 before any formal programs existed. My teacher arranged it through a connection he had. The story was funny as hell. My entire class was in stitches when I told it to them. I made whatever I could still remember as the first chapter of my autobiography if I ever finish writing it. All I will say now is that no one knew what the word "intern" meant. They must have thought I was a doctor because I received the royal treatment, including the entire senior staff shaking my hand, but I quit after only two days (only to come back 11 years later as a full time employee for the next 25 years. To entice me to stay, they offered to give me what became the President's office where I did work my second day because it was vacant (the head of the organization moved to Manhattan), and a free lunch. But it wasn't enough. I finished my internship working for a local politician.

Well I have to say everyone that I worked with was pretty cool. This one dude though, he was practically out of the office on vacation almost the entire summer. :eek: How many days do the folks that work in the MTA offices normally get roughly?

Well I have to say everyone that I worked with was pretty cool. This one dude though, he was practically out of the office on vacation almost the entire summer. :eek: How many days do the folks that work in the MTA offices normally get roughly?

It used to be that you start with 4 weeks and after 20 years you earn one day for each year after that until a maximum of 25 days (or was the max 29, I forget). You also get 3 personal days, so if you use that too, it would be 28 days. If there are two holidays within that time you would get 30. Don't see how he could get the whole summer unless he also was using sick time or was on some sort of disability.

About ten years ago, I believe that for new employees, the first two years on the job you would only get two weeks off instead of four. Don't know what the benefits are today.

It used to be that you start with 4 weeks and after 20 years you earn one day for each year after that until a maximum of 25 days (or was the max 29, I forget). You also get 3 personal days, so if you use that too, it would be 28 days. If there are two holidays within that time you would get 30. Don't see how he could get the whole summer unless he also was using sick time or was on some sort of disability.

About ten years ago, I believe that for new employees, the first two years on the job you would only get two weeks off instead of four. Don't know what the benefits are today.

Well he clearly had his days spread out because he would be MIA for a week or two and then back. Keep in mind that I only worked Monday to Thursdays so maybe he was there a lot on Fridays, but I doubt it....

Well he clearly had his days spread out because he would be MIA for a week or two and then back. Keep in mind that I only worked Monday to Thursdays so maybe he was there a lot on Fridays, but I doubt it....

Did you ever ask him? Why do you even think he was on vacation? Maybe the days you didn't see him he was working at another location(s). When I first started, I was rarely in the office more than three or four hours a day. The rest of the time I was running around somewhere (all over the City) going to meetings. You probably would have thought I had great hours.

Did you ever ask him? Why do you even think he was on vacation? Maybe the days you didn't see him he was working at another location(s). When I first started, I was rarely in the office more than three or four hours a day. The rest of the time I was running around somewhere (all over the City) going to meetings. You probably would have thought I had great hours.

Nah, I didn't feel like it was my place to ask. There were a few others that took vacation but just like a week or so. I just assumed he was on vacation or something since I didn't know any better. That was my first "office job" at 16 years old, so I had no clue. Just an observation... He had all this paperwork piling up and at some point I do recall doing some of his work too. Very simple stuff... Data entry stuff.

Archived