Is new technology the MTA's greatest need?

BrooklynBus

The MTA's greatest need is dedicated funding that isn't just "dedicated" in name only.

Their second greatest need is to restore and maintain what they have before worrying about expensive upgrades, and cutting costs through less redundant management as well as better deals on contractors and fewer/cheaper consultants.

The MTA needs new technology, we can't stay in the past and hope that works in a growing world. We also need the people of this city too take charge and help out in every way they can and stop adding too the backward pull, if we all worked together this system will be great as they work too improve

The article brings up a good point about modernizing bus routes. As seen with the service cuts in june last year, some bus routes are redundant or see little ridership. In addition, the fact that many buses take indirect routings in places to serve more people slows down the commute time for some riders by a lot.

The MTA's greatest need is dedicated funding that isn't just "dedicated" in name only.

Their second greatest need is to restore and maintain what they have before worrying about expensive upgrades, and cutting costs through less redundant management as well as better deals on contractors and fewer/cheaper consultants.

Agree on all three counts.

the MTA needs to spend less money on new gadgets and more money on maintaining what they have and prevent more service cuts. They should be able to take money out of the capital budget to keep their operations going.

Agree with the first point, but not the second which should only be done in an extreme emergency. Taking money out of the capital budget for the operating budget is the reason we have no Second Avenue Subway today.

The article brings up a good point about modernizing bus routes...

Some routes have needed modernization for over 50 years, Usually you have to invest a little money to accomplish this, but it also builds up ridership. However, the MTA's focus has been to provide less service to reduce operating costs, not to improve the system to attract ridership. And this is not a recent phenomenon. It has always been this way. They are not willing to invest any money in the bus operating system, only to purchase new equipment or to build new depots.

We would all benefit from employees that are nicer and have higher morale... and for management to at least actually RIDE their damn transit system daily. That'd be a start, they think their little transit world is going to be better off with half-assed cuts that only hurt them more than they save them.

1. Make cuts from the top.

2. Boost employee morale.

The MTA does not understand that happier workers mean they perform better.

We would all benefit from employees that are nicer and have higher morale... and for management to at least actually RIDE their damn transit system daily. That'd be a start, they think their little transit world is going to be better off with half-assed cuts that only hurt them more than they save them.

Budget and OP are in their ivory towers making plans with no realization of the real world.

No. They need funding. But of course, by the end of this year, I predict we'll see even more cuts, thanks to Cuomo, and his raids on the funds.

Yes they need funding, but they also need to waste less. When I was there. I saw them waste money all the time like $3,000 on useless plaques. Just a drop in the bucket, but every drop adds up.

No. They need funding. But of course, by the end of this year, I predict we'll see even more cuts, thanks to Cuomo, and his raids on the funds.

No more (Z) train :cry::cry::cry::tdown:.

I dont think they will get rid of the (Z). Otherwise Nassau Street Riders during rush hours would be very upset, the (J) makes too many stops. And its not as fast as the (L).

I think if anymore lines are cut on the subway, then there wont be enough trains, there will be too much overcrowding :cry:

Though to get back on topic, I have realized that the SMEE's are starting to fall apart, so new technology is needed... :)

I dont think they will get rid of the (Z). Otherwise Nassau Street Riders during rush hours would be very upset, the (J) makes too many stops. And its not as fast as the (L).
Jamaica riders (I think) protested last year because the (Z) was close to total elimination. Had the (Z) disappeared at this point, then the (E) would've been more crowded.

My question is how could the MTA boost employee morale in a time in which we are in a fiscal crisis??

Easy. There are many ways to do it without money! Business Administration 101.

I think they need technology because as a society with anything technology helps us move forward. The only problem is the MTA looks to technology to find ways to cut more service and/or workers instead of looking to see how it can use technology to really better the system for the riders.

We dont NEED technology. All we NEED is food and water. Technology is not always the best thing across the board for all organizations.

My question is how could the MTA boost employee morale in a time in which we are in a fiscal crisis??

Although everyone wants to earn more money, sometimes a simple thank you, or a "Good job" for a job well done is all that is needed so that someone knows his work is appreciated. You would be surprised at how little that occurs.

I once single-handledly saved the MTA $4 million by noticing something because I was doing my job well. No fiscal crisis, but do you think I received a merit, bonus, or promotion for it? No. Just a written thank you saying "Good job" on an undated post-it with my name spelled wrong. Sorry, but that time, it wasn't enough.

Archived