The City or Jersey?

BZGuy

I've been looking at my company's projected retirements this year and it looks like I can hold a run in the New York Division by the end of the summer. I'm really thinking about making the big move but I'm still kinda stuck on where to live.

The City or Jersey?

Our garage is in Secaucus so Jersey works out better in that regard but it's still Secaucus. I wouldn't mind living in SI but the tolls and traffic kinda makes me wanna say no to the that idea. Most of our NY drivers live in Northern Jersey (one does come up from Toms River) and they live all over the 5 boroughs with one guy coming from Long Island (Babylon) so the commutes are doable.

Maybe you guys could give me some pros and cons.

I've been looking at my company's projected retirements this year and it looks like I can hold a run in the New York Division by the end of the summer. I'm really thinking about making the big move but I'm still kinda stuck on where to live.

The City or Jersey?

Our garage is in Secaucus so Jersey works out better in that regard but it's still Secaucus. I wouldn't mind living in SI but the tolls and traffic kinda makes me wanna say no to the that idea. Most of our NY drivers live in Northern Jersey (one does come up from Toms River) and they live all over the 5 boroughs with one guy coming from Long Island (Babylon) so the commutes are doable.

Maybe you guys could give me some pros and cons.

NJ has very high property taxes, in fact the highest property taxes in the US, so if you want to move to NJ keep that in mind. I personally enjoy living in Staten Island for the peace and quiet it offers while giving me a taste of the city life and enjoy going to NJ for the tax free shopping. :cool:

We also have lots of historical sites and hidden treasures that most folks don't know about. Lots of parks, and greenery as well...

NJ has high property taxes, but it offers some nice areas of living! Toms River is a very nice area, Matawan, Old Bridge, Browntown, Howell, ect are all mostly nice areas, Freehold is ok, but there is a big Mexican boom there l0l.

Whatever is easiest for you man. Living along that route 9 corridor NJT is a beast, so getting a bus would be easy for you, and driving wouldnt be a problem either.

NJ has high property taxes, but it offers some nice areas of living! Toms River is a very nice area, Matawan, Old Bridge, Browntown, Howell, ect are all mostly nice areas, Freehold is ok, but there is a big Mexican boom there l0l.

Whatever is easiest for you man. Living along that route 9 corridor NJT is a beast, so getting a bus would be easy for you, and driving wouldnt be a problem either.

NJ has better roads than us too, but then again the roads here in NYC in general have went to sh*t thanks to Bloomberg. I think it really depends on you. I'm a New Yorker so I prefer living in NY, but have no problem relaxing and such in NJ.

But yeah, there are some nice areas like Montclair, Ridgewood, Short Hills, Summit, etc.

NJ has better roads than us too, but then again the roads here in NYC in general have went to sh*t thanks to Bloomberg. I think it really depends on you. I'm a New Yorker so I prefer living in NY, but have no problem relaxing and such in NJ.

But yeah, there are some nice areas like Montclair, Ridgewood, Short Hills, Summit, etc.

Montclair is pretty nice!

Yeah the roads here are great! Im a new yorker, but I felt I needed to get the hell away from ny. Got tired of the lifestlye. Even when I moved to long island with my mom, i couldnt stand it either. I made the choice right then and there to get away and applied to njt & academy and njt came first and too my odds the location was Egg Harbor so I was happy about that.

I havent been back up to NY for a while now, I still miss it at times but for the most part I dont.

Montclair is pretty nice!

Yeah the roads here are great! Im a new yorker, but I felt I needed to get the hell away from ny. Got tired of the lifestlye. Even when I moved to long island with my mom, i couldnt stand it either. I made the choice right then and there to get away and applied to njt & academy and njt came first and too my odds the location was Egg Harbor so I was happy about that.

I havent been back up to NY for a while now, I still miss it at times but for the most part I dont.

lol... I know what you mean. That's why I like Staten Island. The tourists and such get sickening in the city after a while.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I say Staten Island...its like living in the suburbs of NJ while at the same time still being in NY...the perfect balance

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I say Staten Island...its like living in the suburbs of NJ while at the same time still being in NY...the perfect balance

I'm really leaning toward SI because it's a easy jump to Secaucus for work and Manhatten/Brooklyn for play.

Now, which sections of SI should I try to stay out of?

I'm really leaning toward SI because it's a easy jump to Secaucus for work and Manhatten/Brooklyn for play.

Now, which sections of SI should I try to stay out of?

Areas to avoid: Most stuff well north of Forest Avenue... Most of St. George, Stapleton, Port Richmond, anywhere near Jersey St., Mariners' Harbor, anywhere near the projects on the North Shore. West Brighton near the SI Zoo where I live is great. 10 minutes or so driving to the Verrazano or to the Goethals Bridge... :cool:

Other nice areas are Randall Manor, Grymes Hill, Todt Hill, Emerson Hill, Castleton Corners, New Dorp, etc.

Archived