Countdown Clocks Go Express... or Local

Guest lance25

Personally, I think the countdown clocks suffer from too much information (most of which is unnecessary for the average passenger). Take a look/listen at the announcements and display in the video below.

(Courtesy Yankee5004 (YouTube))

This particular PA/CIS board at Nevins St shows a (5) to Dyre Av and a (2) to 241 St arriving and cycling through a Harlem-bound (3) and two (4) trains, one bound for Woodlawn, the other to Burnside Av. Firstly, no one cares about the (4) to Burnside as they will take the one to Woodlawn first. Also, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure most passengers don't care where the train is terminating as long as it's running along the Lexington or Seventh Avenue lines. A simple uptown/downtown via XYZ line would suffice I think.

My idea:

X - (-bound) via (Trunk line if necessary) X Mins

(2) - Manhtn via 7 Av Exp 2 Mins

(5) - Flatbush Av 4 Mins

The announcements aren't much better. "There is a Manhattan-bound local (2) train to Wakefield-241 St approaching the station." Really? Again, there really isn't a need to announce exactly where the train is going as most people don't care.

Personally, I think the countdown clocks suffer from too much information (most of which is unnecessary for the average passenger). Take a look/listen at the announcements and display in the video below.

(Courtesy Yankee5004 (YouTube))

This particular PA/CIS board at Nevins St shows a (5) to Dyre Av and a (2) to 241 St arriving and cycling through a Harlem-bound (3) and two (4) trains, one bound for Woodlawn, the other to Burnside Av. Firstly, no one cares about the (4) to Burnside as they will take the one to Woodlawn first. Also, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure most passengers don't care where the train is terminating as long as it's running along the Lexington or Seventh Avenue lines. A simple uptown/downtown via XYZ line would suffice I think.

My idea:

X - (-bound) via (Trunk line if necessary) X Mins

(2) - Manhtn via 7 Av Exp 2 Mins

(5) - Flatbush Av 4 Mins

The announcements aren't much better. "There is a Manhattan-bound local (2) train to Wakefield-241 St approaching the station." Really? Again, there really isn't a need to announce exactly where the train is going as most people don't care.

you have it all wrong, first of all they did that because back in 05 they polled people and asked them what did they need on them, most said they wanted it like it is and still today they are asking the public for info on what they want and thats what they get if they can. now if you feel like more info is stupid than ok for you but most of all the people asked for this so they can navigate this city better than the past.

What if you're a passenger in Manhattan, that needs to go to Brooklyn?

I take the (2) from 96th St all the way to Brooklyn College, I need to know the difference between a (2) & (3) train.

Also some (1) trains terminate at 137th St, there is no way to distinguish it from a train to Bronx. The only way is by the countdown clocks which show the destination.

What if you're a passenger in Manhattan, that needs to go to Brooklyn?

I take the (2) from 96th St all the way to Brooklyn College, I need to know the difference between a (2) & (3) train.

Also some (1) trains terminate at 137th St, there is no way to distinguish it from a train to Bronx. The only way is by the countdown clocks which show the destination.

and thats the hole point of haven it like that so people can know whats going on and not just half of it people want too know what is coming and where its going

Guest lance25

My point was that at a station like Nevins St, Franklin Av or any other station on one end of the line, most people don't really care where the train is going on the other side of the line. Most people don't ride lines from end to end. Sure some people do, but the majority don't.

Also, if the train is going somewhere else, like a (5) via Seventh Avenue or a (1) to 137 St-City College, yes, it should mention where it going to go because it's different than what's the norm. Otherwise, it's just an overload of semi-useless information. Remember: "KISS - keep it simple stupid".

My point was that at a station like Nevins St, Franklin Av or any other station on one end of the line, most people don't really care where the train is going on the other side of the line. Most people don't ride lines from end to end. Sure some people do, but the majority don't.

Also, if the train is going somewhere else, like a (5) via Seventh Avenue or a (1) to 137 St-City College, yes, it should mention where it going to go because it's different than what's the norm. Otherwise, it's just an overload of semi-useless information. Remember: "KISS - keep it simple stupid".

and thats what the people asked for and thats what they gave us, they tell you whats going on, and dont forget that this is nyc if they didnt have that system people would have an up rising i dont want too know what the public would have done. they did a good thing and no one is complaining about it that i hear from, now people say they want it like that on the B div sorry they wont get that but they would love it

if they didnt have that system people would have an up rising i dont want too know what the public would have done

For 104 years the system didn't have it. If these things weren't installed, I don't think anything would happen.

For 104 years the system didn't have it. If these things weren't installed, I don't think anything would happen.

Agreed. As I posted a long time ago the (MTA) thinks this fits right in with what's called "the dumbing down of America". It's been said by many people in RTO, through the years, that some people are so stupid that soon we'll have to walk them home to keep them from getting lost. Some of us heard it in school car. Just from my experience riding subways and the railroad the one's most enamored of this are the younger generation, not the older ones. I've been riding the subway system for 55+ years and have never been lost. I didn't have to look at a screen to tell me if a train was coming or not. It gets there when it gets there. For the first part of my life subways didn't even have PAs. You read the signs and went from there. People who couldn't read went by the marker lights on the front of the train or ,in the case of the IND, the colored tiles on the station. The visually or aurally handicapped traveled without a problem, too. Nobody, except maybe train buffs, begged the (MTA) for this. Nobody needed it but the agency figured that this was something to show that their capital funds were being used and not being diverted to something else. It's like when a mayor or county exec puts up a building, stadium, or monument showing how much he's done for said city, or county, while laughing at the suckers who fall for it. They look nice and serve a purpose but the money could have probably been better spent on other things like station rehabs in the outer boroughs or Chambers St under the Municipal Building. That's my opinion.

if we all think like that, 104yago we wouldnt have went too the moon or made any medical changes, i mean really things change for a reason, people want more technology and we moves forward, yea we did do fine with out them but we cant look back all the time if so we will never move anywhere.

Agreed. As I posted a long time ago the (MTA) thinks this fits right in with what's called "the dumbing down of America". It's been said by many people in RTO, through the years, that some people are so stupid that soon we'll have to walk them home to keep them from getting lost. Some of us heard it in school car. Just from my experience riding subways and the railroad the one's most enamored of this are the younger generation, not the older ones. I've been riding the subway system for 55+ years and have never been lost. I didn't have to look at a screen to tell me if a train was coming or not. It gets there when it gets there. For the first part of my life subways didn't even have PAs. You read the signs and went from there. People who couldn't read went my the marker lights on the front of the train or ,in the case of the IND, the colored tiles on the station. The visually or aurally handicapped traveled without a problem, too. Nobody, except maybe train buffs, begged the (MTA) for this. Nobody needed it but the agency figured that this was something to show that their capital funds were being used and not being diverted to something else. It's like when a mayor or county exec puts up a building, stadium, or monument showing how much he's done for said city, or county, while laughing at the suckers who fall for it. They look nice and serve a purpose but the money could have probably been better spent on other things like station rehabs in the outer boroughs or Chambers St under the Municipal Building. That's my opinion.
where i am in the bronx all the stations have been done over, on the 2 5 4 and the 6 and now they are working on several stations on the 6 that wasnt done yet. so we feel good up here other than here all over the city theres station being done or have already been done like 59th st 96th st chambers st on the 2 3 and atlantic ave in brooklyn. the MTA spent millions on stations and trains that people just mess up as soon as its done so i really think they are doing as much as they can with this city of none caring people, i mean they lose so much money fixing things for this city system its sad,.

where i am in the bronx all the stations have been done over, on the 2 5 4 and the 6 and now they are working on several stations on the 6 that wasnt done yet. so we feel good up here other than here all over the city theres station being done or have already been done like 59th st 96th st chambers st on the 2 3 and atlantic ave in brooklyn. the MTA spent millions on stations and trains that people just mess up as soon as its done so i really think they are doing as much as they can with this city of none caring people, i mean they lose so much money fixing things for this city system its sad,.

Chrisliz09, i respect your opinion and have been following your updates on the clocks with interest. That said, I have a very strong disagreement with the last few lines of your post. If I read it right you seem to be implying that the clocks are more important than the actual trains and stations themselves and the agency is wasting their assets because people are messing them( trains,stations) up. It's my opinion that the trains and stations are the (MTA)'s most important priorities and the clocks are an unimportant part of the agency's agenda and purpose. Take a survey of ridership and find out what's more important to the majority of the ridership. Trains, stations, reliability,safety, and cleanliness will trump the clocks in a landslide. Like I said, the clocks are nice and helpful, but in the grand scheme of rapid transit are but trinkets for the masses. As far as the money spent on subway cars and station upgrades goes, do you think the people messing them up need or care about clocks? I don't think so. I also don't believe that the clock program was a pressing need at this time compared to the other needs of the system. Just my opinion, though. Feel free to agree or not, posters. It's all good.

Chrisliz09, i respect your opinion and have been following your updates on the clocks with interest. That said, I have a very strong disagreement with the last few lines of your post. If I read it right you seem to be implying that the clocks are more important than the actual trains and stations themselves and the agency is wasting their assets because people are messing them( trains,stations) up. It's my opinion that the trains and stations are the (MTA)'s most important priorities and the clocks are an unimportant part of the agency's agenda and purpose. Take a survey of ridership and find out what's more important to the majority of the ridership. Trains, stations, reliability,safety, and cleanliness will trump the clocks in a landslide. Like I said, the clocks are nice and helpful, but in the grand scheme of rapid transit are but trinkets for the masses. As far as the money spent on subway cars and station upgrades goes, do you think the people messing them up need or care about clocks? I don't think so. I also don't believe that the clock program was a pressing need at this time compared to the other needs of the system. Just my opinion, though. Feel free to agree or not, posters. It's all good.
not at all i love the hole thing together, the upgrades in the hole system i just dont like it when i see them do things that coast money for all of us be taken apart by the people that scream for new and more improvements

Archived