Subway map on Wikipedia

Amtrak7

For those who want to know, a NYC subway map has made it to the Wikipedia Main Page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (scroll to "Today's Featured Picture")

I'm scrambling to fix the mistake ("The New York City Subway is the rapid transit rail system in annual ridership in the Western Hemisphere").

EDIT: Fixed.

I like the current map, this one is too angular

yes but angular is better. what i especially like of this map is that it does not have the bus connection bubbles. unless the bubbles are on the back. but still the map is more clarified than the present one. i like its simplicity and the thick bold lines help me follow the lines exactly. the map also shows express service with another bold line parallel to the local bold line. i say this map is better.

yes but angular is better. what i especially like of this map is that it does not have the bus connection bubbles. unless the bubbles are on the back. but still the map is more clarified than the present one. i like its simplicity and the thick bold lines help me follow the lines exactly. the map also shows express service with another bold line parallel to the local bold line. i say this map is better.

the curved lines and the dots make it easy for me to read and more pleasing to the eye than the jagged angular lines, it makes it easier to see what street things run by, and the bus bubbles I actually dont mind, the 2010 map made things a lot better than the 1998-2009 map

yes but angular is better.

Not necessarily. The maps that are the most pleasing to the eye and the easiest to understand, usually minimize the amount of angles or curves changing the direction of a drawn line.

Though I like the amount of detail CountZ has put in his map, I believe he can still straighten out many angles that are unnecessary from a diagrammatic point of view. Take a look at the (L), the (G), or the various kinks along the path of the (1) north of 96 St, where a straight line could be drawn easily.

There's a very interesting - though long - article that can be found here discussing the various merits and drawbacks of using diagrammatic representations for network maps. There's also a new approach suggested at the bottom of the article, that does away with the strict 45 and 90 degree rules of most of today's diagrams.

I did think there was a certain irony in their proclaiming that to be one of the best images on Wikipedia. The jagged corners make it harder to follow the lines, there are changes of angle that are just totally unnecessary (it's a diagram, for Pete's sake!), there is a lot of wasted space, and the whole thing is absolutely massive. I don't actually think this is a particularly good subway diagram at all: it's rather too similar to some of the absolute horrors of maps in Max's article that Alargule linked to.

Archived