Turning the power off

Abba

So we all know during 12-9's they turn the power off.My question is does the MTA have a choice to what degree they do it.im asking cause yesterday the (L) trains terminated at Atlantic.Not Bway-Junction.The investigation wasn't even at the Junction.So what are the procedures for turning the power off?

So we all know during 12-9's they turn the power off.My question is does the MTA have a choice to what degree they do it.im asking cause yesterday the (L) trains terminated at Atlantic.Not Bway-Junction.The investigation wasn't even at the Junction.So what are the procedures for turning the power off?

The power can be isolated and cut off to only certain sections because there are switches that break the flow of current at designated areas that supply power to the third rail. So if there is an issue, you dont have to kill the power to the whole (L) line, you can isolate it to a certain section. There are people who work down there who know way more about than me,

When the power is pulled from an alarm box, it pulls the power from a very large area. Power can be cut in smaller areas by dropping the feeder cables, but 12-9 investigations don't take long enough for that to be practical. They usually do that during a GO thought it has been done for police investigations that take the better part of a day.

Maybe a dumb question. Does the electricity for the third rail originate from Con Ed?

yes it does. it flows through power generators that are either underground or in the yards. but yes the power does come from con ed. the mta spends about 6 billion dollars a year paying con ed. the mta is con eds biggest customer. that number i got it from a national geographic documentary on the nyc subway. but back to the original question power to the 3rd rail comes from con ed

Guest lance25
Maybe a dumb question. Does the electricity for the third rail originate from Con Ed?

If I'm not mistaken, yes, all except for the Rockaways, which come from LIPA (Long Island Power Association).

Archived