Extra steel in the system ???

Noflexdont

While driving the B54 Route today i notice that there is a extra extension from Broadway to Lewis avenue on Myrtle avenue. My question is can the MTA take this extra steel down and are there anymore areas in the system that have extra steel structures. I'm sure there is some money there. I mean does it serve a purpose a far as structure support. Also have another Idea for extra money from the system. When growing up in forest park Queens there are abandon LIRR tracks. Can the rail road be ripped up and sold for scrap, i know till this day miles of rail are just sitting there. Any input on this would be grate.

same with the extra unsued trackways by Queensboro Bridge and Broadway Junction. I think it has something to do with just keeping the structure intact. Some of this stuff is so old im guessing theyre worried if they start taking it apart it might mess things up.

The reason the steel just sits there and rusts away is because it is not worth it to scrap it. Its worth only 15-30 cents per pound. Most track is about 120 lbs per yard in good condition. The amount it costs in manpower, fuel, time to dismantle and etc.. defeats the cost of the scrap cashed out.

The cost of labor to demolish such steel structures is more than the cost of recycled steel, the amount of steel recovered just doesn't outset the cost of labor. Also the time and construction regulations, maybe closing down adjacent tracks to allow room and such would also be a factor.

As far as I know about the abandoned LIRR tracks in Queens I don't really think that line is abandoned. That line is in a dormant state, and was formally if I am correct the LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch. In the 1970's the wooden trestle that connected it to the Rockaways caught fire, and they never rebuilt it. Instead they have the (A), and the Rockaway Park (S) connect to the Rockaways instead, and they left the upper part of the line the way it is today. Originally it was proposed to be used by the JFK Airtrain, but NIMBY's killed the idea.

Also the Upper Level of the Myrtle Avenue Station along with the remaining sections of the Myrtle Avenue Line is needed to hold up the structure. If you take it down the whole structure which would include the Jamaica Line would come crashing down. It's the same reason why they never removed the remaining stub of the Culver (S) on the Culver Line.

Archived