MTA Lands Low Blow to ATU Memebers in latest round of contract talks

cartmn1210

While the North Shore service is also discussed...one thing that I'm surprised is not proposed is to have all buses that will also do an evening trip park in Manhattan for the midday---and to have all of the drivers load up onto a single bus returning to Staten Island.

That would probably allow for the part-time operators.

On the subject of the S46/48, what I see being needed short-term is to readjust the schedules to factor in increased running time, and perhaps some S46 service should be short-turned in Mariners' Harbor. On weekdays, there would still be service to West Shore Plaza with at least 2 buses per hour. After the S53, this route has the shortest headways on Staten Island.

The Teleport is all but dead these days; the major ridership generator at the western end of the S46 after Mariners' Harbor is West Shore Plaza.

We've discussed deadheading express buses in previous threads (it turns out that some buses do, indeed stay in Manhattan during middays)

The problem with the S46 and S48 is that delays can be unpredictable. There are times when they follow the schedule to the minute, and there are times when they manage to bunch up even though the headways are lower than routes than routes that have that problem.

Like I said, I think a reasonable solution would be to have the S96 operate during middays, on 30 minute headways to the West Shore Plaza. This would be cost-neutral because the S46s that are scheduled to meet the same ferry would be short-turned at Forest Avenue.

And Via Garibaldi's solution makes sense now that I think about it: Apply the same logic to the S48, with the short-turn terminal being at Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue. The problem is that the S48 runs at 15 minute headways, so it wouldn't be completely cost-neutral like the S46 proposal.

Actually, on Saturdays, the S98 could run when the S48 currently runs on 2 minute headways (from about 1PM-6PM), using the same principle.

Archived