Bus Divisions

Blackmozart80

I am a new user on this forum, i've been reading different post on here for a few weeks. The biggest question i have is the different divisions of mta. I applied for mta bus operator last april, received the confirmation of my application in may and this april took the boss survey. I would like some info on the differences with divisions, starting pay, etc.

Hey. The pays are exactly the same for each divisons. The only difference is the unions. There are 5 divisions. Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. There is also MTA bus, Westchester county, Long Island. I don't know much about those three but I know the other 5 are almost identical. Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx are in the TWU union. Staten Island and Queens are ATU. Basically they just have different names. When TWU goes on strike, Staten Island and Queens also go on strike. They are the same unions with different names. Thats all.

Thank you for replying to my thread. The question i really was asking was about the different bus company's. I applied for the MTA bus company, i read in other post about the MTA, ta, and the maBSTOA. I was wondering the big differences between them?

BLACKMOZART: The main differences that you should know are these. MTA BUS only has a few depots you can work out of. Your starting pay is reletively low. Its about 15 per hour. In Mabstoa, you can only go to Brooklyn, Bronx and Manhattan depots and the starting pay is 18.84 an hour. In NYCT, You can go anywhere in the 5 buroughs and the starting pay is also 18.84 per hour.

GIMMICKS: I actually have heard something about them merging with LI bus. I don't know when, but supposedly it is happening. I'm not sure about any Queens depot openings. If there is, I wouldn't know about that. I'm out here in the boondocks (Staten Island).

Thank you for replying to my thread. The question i really was asking was about the different bus company's. I applied for the MTA bus company, i read in other post about the MTA, ta, and the maBSTOA. I was wondering the big differences between them?

Ta is civil service. MaBSTOA (OA for short) has civil service title, but isn't truly civil service (we don't take a civil service exam, just the BOSS). TA runs Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, and 126st in Manhattan. MaBSTOA runs the Bronx and the rest of Manhattan. The pay and benefits between these two are the same. There are two different unions. MaBSTOA and Brooklyn are TWU local 100. STI and Queens are ATU. As of Jan 2008, MaBSTOA, Brooklyn, and 126st depot has merged, and now during the general pick, we can go into any of those depots. Reason is we are all Local 100.

MTA Bus is a different animal. You start off with a lower pay, and top out with a lower pay (than TA or OA). Your pay at MTA Bus depends on the depot you pick into. They do not have a uniform pay (except when qualifying). Each depot has it's own hourly pay. Yonkers and Eastchester depots are two of the highest paying. The top pay at Yonkers is $23+. They start at $16+. Yonkers, Eastchester, Baisley Park, LGA, and College Point are TWU Local 100. Spring Creek, Far Rockaway, and JFK, are ATU. The latter are lowest paying. IIRC, they start at about $12+. TA and OA doesn't pay for uniforms. MTA Bus does. TWU is suppose to talking about getting them (the depots they represent), the same contract we have. This way all the Local 100 depots can be uniformed.

Hope this answers your questions.

This question is for anyone familiar with the atu. On the application i filled out last year for the mta bus operator it said the benefit was comprehensive. So after reading some other post about people paying for medical and health i was wondering what type of deductions they take from you paycheck, and also what benefits are included exactly. I would also like some info on the pension, union dues, and cost of uniforms, and night and differential. Any info would be helpful to me on making any decisions.

Archived