Question About "Job Hopping"

Donald

So just a quick question: Will the fact that I had 2 jobs that I held each for only a few weeks cause any problems once I am called by the MTA for the condcutor position? I was never fired from any job. One job I quit and the other one was temporary (it was a job on a political campaign that I started just before election day). Will I run into any problems? I fully intend to be 100% honest and will list all of my jobs. I also had a third job, but that one I held for about 19 months.

Thanks!

So just a quick question: Will the fact that I had 2 jobs that I held each for only a few weeks cause any problems once I am called by the MTA for the condcutor position? I was never fired from any job. One job I quit and the other one was temporary (it was a job on a political campaign that I started just before election day). Will I run into any problems? I fully intend to be 100% honest and will list all of my jobs. I also had a third job, but that one I held for about 19 months.

Thanks!

No!, it won't be a problem as long as you put those jobs down on the application. You're getting into the civil service game, it's not like trying to get a job on the outside world. There is no one that personally interviews you and ask you questions like why do you want to work for us?. As long as your paper work, background and medical health check out you'll be hired. The so called interview that they do give you, is just swearing you in, giving you a rule book, code of ethics and letting you know how much you'll be getting paid. Then you'l be finger printed and have your photo taken for your pass. After that you'll be told when to report for duty. And that's pretty much the hiring process in a nut shell.

No need to wear a suit and tie when it comes time that you are officially hired. Just be clean and presentable. You really don't have to try to impress the person who is going to swear you in. This process isn't like your typical job interview in the private sector. Job hopping is not a big deal.

Not all civil service jobs are like that . When I got hired

I had to have a full interview just like the private sector

my list number was meaningless .

Was it a civil service job that did not have a test?

Was it a civil service job that did not have a test?

Well primo is right with his statement. But!!, with the (MTA) that's how the hiring process goes,when you're hired by civil service laws. It can be different with other agencies. Maybe with other jobs such as office jobs and other non-civil service titles, the process may be different. I know to apply for change of assignment jobs, where you're still under your title, but you work a different job, you go through the regular interview process. But mostly change of assignment jobs are office jobs.

No it was civil service title and I took the exam got my score

and list # and was called in to a hiring pool and had to interview

just like a private sector job . This is also known as the 1 in 3 rule for every 3 people that get called in to interview 1 person must be hired according to civil service law . I am off my probation in

5 more days whoo hoo !

No it was civil service title and I took the exam got my score

and list # and was called in to a hiring pool and had to interview

just like a private sector job . I am off my probation in

5 more days whoo hoo !

Well congrats on making it through probation man. And at least now whenever the (MTA) does call you, whatever time you worked at this job can be carried over through your pension. This is assuming that this job uses the NYCERS pension system?. What job do you do primo if you don't mind me asking?. You can always respond to me with a PM, if you don't want people to know your business.

The people that were in my training class had list #'s up to like

1700 and my number was in the 150's

Wow!! seems like a lot of people didn't make it through the hiring process, if you had people with list numbers that high in your training class.

Go for wichever one calls you first, I believe they both pay about the same anyway. The level of toll on your psyche looks about the same too.

Yeah C/R pays about 31 cents more. But when your an S/A working in a booth you get paid 15 mins early check in time. So after a 2 week period that adds up to about 2.5 hours extra per check. So that more than enough makes up for the 31 cents pay difference. The real major way C/R's get paid more is through OT, which is good for some people, but not everyone wants to do OT. As long as I got 2 per pay period I'm set, at that rate I can make 74K easily.

Yeah C/R pays about 31 cents more. But when your an S/A working in a booth you get paid 15 mins early check in time. So after a 2 week period that adds up to about 2.5 hours extra per check. So that more than enough makes up for the 31 cents pay difference. The real major way C/R's get paid more is through OT, which is good for some people, but not everyone wants to do OT. As long as I got 2 per pay period I'm set, at that rate I can make 74K easily.

Wow thats intesresting indeed, so youre only doing 2 hours overtime. I bet you must have loads of xbox games, thats why you arnt into overtime lol.

Wow thats intesresting indeed, so youre only doing 2 hours overtime. I bet you must have loads of xbox games, thats why you arnt into overtime lol.

No, I was referring to two over times per check. The 2.5 hours extra is automatic. It takes 15th minutes to do a proper relief. If you do what everyone really does during the relief process, which is just count the money. You can get in done in 5 minutes, bit you still get paid the 15 minute early check in. The only time the won't pay you early check in, is when do a double in your booth, or you do A double a booth that already started. Meaning you called for OT and you get out at 11pm but the booth you got OT started at 10 or 10:30.

I'd rather be a C/R than a S/A. This way you don't have to handle money and worry about being short.

Yeah shortages can be a issue, but once you do this job long enough the money is just part of the job, I don't even see it as cash anymore. And as long as you don't rush you won't come up short. I haven't came up short in five years. The customers may want you to rush because the trains coming, but if you're careful you won't have much to worry about. And the advantages of being a S/A is I can respond to your message from work, like I'm doing now LMAO. And you don't have constant supervision, I can sometimes go a week or more without seeing a boss. They may call, but not show up. And you also don't have to worry about a partner to get you in trouble for a mistake they might have made. Working by yourself is golden because you have only yourself to blame it you get into trouble.

Archived