NJT SW500 #502 still around!

I heard a rumor from several (NJT) drivers that it might be complimented by a newer switcher once the new multilevel cars are done being delivered. It is extremely unique and has a lot of character, so i hope they don't take it out of service unless it's to do work on it & return to service. I'd love to see it in action moving some cars.

- Andy

Hello Everyone,

My Favorite NJ Transit locomotive on the entire roster is NJ Transit SW1500 502. The locomotive was originally built be EMD for the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad company and was assigned the road number 1546.

NJ Transit purchased this locomotive along with 2 other Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Company SW1500 locomotives some time I believe in the late 1980's or early 1990's to replace its fleet of aging SW9 locomotives. NJ Transit of course assigned their SW1500 fleet in the 500 locomotive Road Number series. 503 was a Southern Pacific locomotive originally and a couple years ago the 503 was sideswiped by another NJ Transit locomotive at the MMC. That locomotive was originally sold to Locomotive Leasing Company Helm Financial AKA HLCX. The 503 is still alive and currently in Chicago working for a railroad out there. NJ Transit SW1500's 500 and 501 were both retired from NJ Transit's Roster in 2006 and were later sold to Larry's Truck & Electric company in November 2007. From What I have heard NJ Transit 502's time is running out. NJT is still keeping the MP20GP type switchers at the MMC I guess until 502 croaks.

NJ Transit SW1500 502 is my favorite locomotive on NJ Transit's fleet because its one of the least known NJ Transit locomotives.

Here are all my photos of NJ Transit SW1500 locomotive 502.

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=38816

Enjoy,

Eric

Hello Everyone,

My Favorite NJ Transit locomotive on the entire roster is NJ Transit SW1500 502. The locomotive was originally built be EMD for the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad company and was assigned the road number 1546.

NJ Transit purchased this locomotive along with 2 other Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Company SW1500 locomotives some time I believe in the late 1980's or early 1990's to replace its fleet of aging SW9 locomotives. NJ Transit of course assigned their SW1500 fleet in the 500 locomotive Road Number series. 503 was a Southern Pacific locomotive originally and a couple years ago the 503 was sideswiped by another NJ Transit locomotive at the MMC. That locomotive was originally sold to Locomotive Leasing Company Helm Financial AKA HLCX. The 503 is still alive and currently in Chicago working for a railroad out there. NJ Transit SW1500's 500 and 501 were both retired from NJ Transit's Roster in 2006 and were later sold to Larry's Truck & Electric company in November 2007. From What I have heard NJ Transit 502's time is running out. NJT is still keeping the MP20GP type switchers at the MMC I guess until 502 croaks.

NJ Transit SW1500 502 is my favorite locomotive on NJ Transit's fleet because its one of the least known NJ Transit locomotives.

Here are all my photos of NJ Transit SW1500 locomotive 502.

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=38816

Enjoy,

Eric

Thanks for the info and the photos!!!

- Andy

Archived