LIRR/MNRR/NJT Zone Fare Question

checkmatechamp13

If somebody had a pass from, say Zone 3 to Zone 4, could they use it for any Zone 3->Zone 4 trip, or just what it says on their ticket?

Using the LIRR as an example, can a ticket from St. Albans to West Hempstead be used to travel from, Hollis to Mineola, or Little Neck to Port Washington?

Would a similar rule apply to all 3 agencies I mentioned (say, Yonkers->Peekskill being used for travel between Fleetwood and Mount Kisco)?

And since the New Haven Line has different zones (its NY stations are Zones 12-14, whereas the Hudson/Harlem Line have stations in Zones 1-10), would the same rule apply to the New Haven Line or not?

If somebody had a pass from, say Zone 3 to Zone 4, could they use it for any Zone 3->Zone 4 trip, or just what it says on their ticket?

Using the LIRR as an example, can a ticket from St. Albans to West Hempstead be used to travel from, Hollis to Mineola, or Little Neck to Port Washington?

Would a similar rule apply to all 3 agencies I mentioned?

Yes, for all 3 agencies with these exceptions:

-Obviously no interagency usage

-Hudson and Harlem line passes can't be used on the NHL or vice versa

-Certain Hudson line passes can be used on the Pascack Valley.

-There are some restrictions regarding cross-honoring between the NWK and HOB divisions on NJT that I don't know very well.

I have another question: If one has a pass for say Mineola-NYP, can one use it Ronkonkoma-Mineola? The one way fare is less.

Yes, for all 3 agencies with these exceptions:

-Obviously no interagency usage

-Hudson and Harlem line passes can't be used on the NHL or vice versa

-Certain Hudson line passes can be used on the Pascack Valley.

-There are some restrictions regarding cross-honoring between the NWK and HOB divisions on NJT that I don't know very well.

I have another question: If one has a pass for say Mineola-NYP, can one use it Ronkonkoma-Mineola? The one way fare is less.

Thanks for the answer.

I don't think you would be able to use it on Ronkonkoma->Mineola, since it is in a different zone than the pass is valid for. Or else, a person could theoretically travel from Ronkonkoma all the way to Penn Station on that same pass (since it would be valid for NYP->Mineola and Mineola->Ronkonkoma)

I don't think you would be able to use it on Ronkonkoma->Mineola, since it is in a different zone than the pass is valid for. Or else, a person could theoretically travel from Ronkonkoma all the way to Penn Station on that same pass (since it would be valid for NYP->Mineola and Mineola->Ronkonkoma)

True...

I had a similar experience on the New Haven Line. My commutation pass is covers Stratford to GCT, but, on one occasion I had to ride from New Haven to Stamford and back. Stratford-GCT OWP is $16.50; NHV-Stamford OWP is $6.25; Stratford to Stamford is $4.25. I had to pay the $2.00 difference to cover NHV-Stratford. The conductor and I were laughing about it, and he admitted to not agreeing with the charge, but I understand why a zone-based fare system would require me to pay the difference. The formula used to derive MNR zone fares is available online, if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Homeball or Truckie - could either of you explain or give an example or commutation passes covering travel fares for a separate line? Do all three lines offer that same kind of pass reciprocity?

Homeball or Truckie - could either of you explain or give an example or commutation passes covering travel fares for a separate line? Do all three lines offer that same kind of pass reciprocity?

The wording on the "diversion and stations table" is:

New Haven Line Monthly and Weekly Commutation Tickets that are valid between Grand Central Terminal and the indicated New Haven Line Station are also valid as far as the corresponding Harlem and Hudson Line Station.

With that said, your GCT to Stratford commutation will also get you from GCT to Breakneck Ridge on the Hudson Line and Southeast on the Harlem Line (as of an older diversion table, I don't have the current one in front of me).

In the event of a Harlem or Hudson commutation ticket, this will get you to a designated station on the New Haven Line. Example, as of this diversion table, a Southeast commutation only get you as far as Fairfield on the New Haven Line. Being the New York fares were raised the end of last year, the stations may be a little different now.

Thanks for the response.

Is that table publicly available, or would current fares schedule provide the same information?

No, not available publicly. But the table is based off the fare prices, not the mileage.

No, not available publicly. But the table is based off the fare prices, not the mileage.

Thanks.

So, travel to any station in which the one-way peak fare does not exceed the the $16.50 for GCT-Stratford travel is permissible. Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks.

So, travel to any station in which the one-way peak fare does not exceed the the $16.50 for GCT-Stratford travel is permissible. Am I understanding that correctly?

That's the basic premise of the concept. I'm not going to say that's how it is in every circumstance as I don't have the current diversion table in front of me.

Thanks.

It's not a dollar for dollar conversion. That's why there's the "Diversion in Stations" table. The conversions aren't equal in both directions either.

For example: GCT to Stamford pass would get you to Irvington or NWP on the Hudson or Harlem respectively. But GCT to NWP pass would only get you to Harrison on the New Haven.

In your example GCT to Stratford would get you as far as Peekskill Or Golden's Bridge.

But you could always pay the extension on-board to cover the balance of your ride. Since it's an extension it would be at the station fare.

Thanks for the responses.

Can I ride to Waterbury with my Stratford pass? Also, if anyone has an accurate answer as to why all of the stations on that branch are at the same fare, and travel from GCT to Waterbury is only $2.00 more per month than to Stratford and Milford, by all means, please divulge.

Thanks for the responses.

Can I ride to Waterbury with my Stratford pass? Also, if anyone has an accurate answer as to why all of the stations on that branch are at the same fare, and travel from GCT to Waterbury is only $2.00 more per month than to Stratford and Milford, by all means, please divulge.

Scroll down to "current fare structure":

http://www.trainweb.org/ct/minutes0110.htm

Thanks.

That was the information that I had mentioned in a previous post, and I'm glad that you posted it so that I didn't have to search for it myself (I know, I'm lazy B)). Even the council questions the rationale behind the fare structure, and I was wondering if anyone else had information on that.

you can use any station in that zone that you like.

I have a 10 trip for Seaford to Atlantic Terminal but I can get on at Hicksville, Merrick, Bethpage, Westbury, Oyster Bay, or any other Zone 7 stop, likewise I can get on and off at any Zone 1 station. Ive used it recently from Hunterspoint Avenue with no problem. They just look to make sure the zone number is right not the actual station.

Is there any way to look up what the step up fare is? Example: I have a Penn to Farmingdale monthly but I want to go to Ronkonkoma one day. Is it cheaper for me to step up on the train, or would I be wiser to buy a Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma ticket?

Is there any way to look up what the step up fare is? Example: I have a Penn to Farmingdale monthly but I want to go to Ronkonkoma one day. Is it cheaper for me to step up on the train, or would I be wiser to buy a Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma ticket?

I think it's cheaper to step up (not to mention, there is a chance the conductors might not even check you for a ticket, since it is an intra-LI trip)

Archived