Another bad day for megabus 7/20/11. Customers get sick in DC as buses break down

Here not good pr for megabus. The Coach USA owned company had a bad day today 7/20/11 as several buses 'broke down' on their Washington, DC runs due to the national heat wave. Thus several riders got sick and were taken to local DC hosptials. Not to mention tempers flaring and near fights over cancelled buses. Here link for story from local CBS Washington DC station.

http://www.wusa9.com/video/1032943949001/0/Riders-Pass-Out-Waiting-For-Megabus-In-DC

Here not good pr for megabus. The Coach USA owned company had a bad day today 7/20/11 as several buses 'broke down' on their Washington, DC runs due to the national heat wave. Thus several riders got sick and were taken to local DC hosptials. Not to mention tempers flaring and near fights over cancelled buses. Here link for story from local CBS Washington DC station.

http://www.wusa9.com/video/1032943949001/0/Riders-Pass-Out-Waiting-For-Megabus-In-DC

ppl should not be using buses during a heatwave heck they need to stay home

ppl should not be using buses during a heatwave heck they need to stay home

If you mean to use for a casual busfanning summer vaction trip you right. At same time though companies like Mega and Bolt Bus do not offer refunds either barring a 3-foot blizzard. Thus some of those riders on a tight budget were fearful of losing their pre paid tickets as well.

Not to mention some ppl. have urgent matters as well such as family members being sick, etc.

In extreme weather like this whether it's this heat, hurricanes/nor'teasters or snowstorms/cold, these low cost bus companies should allow riders to switch to another day at no extra charge

imo to travel.

Here not good pr for megabus. The Coach USA owned company had a bad day today 7/20/11 as several buses 'broke down' on their Washington, DC runs due to the national heat wave. Thus several riders got sick and were taken to local DC hosptials. Not to mention tempers flaring and near fights over cancelled buses. Here link for story from local CBS Washington DC station.[/url]

Normally I would say you get what you pay for......BUT, everybody and I mean EVERYBODY was battling this problem this week. Peter Pan,Bolt,Megabus,Greyhound,Concord Coach,P & B,Trailways....everybody had problems with the heat. Especially with the older buses, they just can't take the extreme heat, at Bonanza our older DL3 fleet is well taken care of but even yesterday if you could get the A/C under 80 then you had a good bus.

It's summertime....it happens!

Well it happens again. This time on a Boston bound Bolt Bus (considered by most the best run of the low cost intracity bus companies)where riders complained the bus had 'no a/c' at all on Thursday 7/21/11.

Here story on the local Boston Fox TV station.

New York to Boston Bus Trip: No air conditioning, no windows

Friday, 22 Jul 2011

By Ted Daniel Fox25 Boston Reporter

BOSTON (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) - On a hot day like Thursday when a five minute walk is uncomfortable, a five hour bus ride is just miserable.

Ben Berkowitz and Lindsey Sedlack traveled from New York to Boston Thursday afternoon when temperatures reached a heat index of 105 on Bolt Bus #0818. They say the air conditioner was not working and the windows would not open.

Passengers say they were never warned it would be an uncomfortable ride, let alone a sauna, and once they got on the road - the bus just kept going - despite numerous complaints.

Passengers said the ride has them all charged up, and they say the carrier could have handled the situation a lot better.

STATEMENT FROM BOLT BUS:

"At this time, we are investigating the incident as our maintenance team thoroughly evaluates the bus. We apologize for any inconvenience our passengers have experienced on this particular trip and are working to provide a full refund for each of them.

The safety and security of our passengers is our core value and something we take very seriously. Given the unprecedented heat wave that has struck the Northeast, we are working to make sure our customers’ travel experience is as comfortable as possible.

As more information becomes available, I will I will be sure to keep you updated."

Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/bus-goes-new-york-to-boston-with-no-air-conditioning-20110721#ixzz1Sy5IunY8

Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/bus-goes-new-york-to-boston-with-no-air-conditioning-20110721#ixzz1Sy4Rh9ai

If that driver knew the A/C wasn't working before he left Boston then he's getting in trouble.....we got a memo 2 weeks ago that we are not suppose to be running ANY coach in revenue service with no A/C, and if it goes out en route then you were suppose to swap at the closest garage. Friday, they were no buses anywhere, every garage was struggling to make service....I have never seen it that bad.

The problem is that as hot as it's been the last couple days you can't really get the air any lower than 75-80 degrees. In south station which is covered up the bus could have been decent feeling when they left and once that sun started beating down on a black bus, well you get the idea. Bad deal for everybody involved.

Can't they sue the freight operators for delays.

How can AMTRAK sue when most of their service is run on the freight companies lines. The only track that Amtrak owns in the Northeast Corridor, they have trackage rights everywhere else. So yeah suing BNSF,CSX,or UP is a good way to lose those rights. AMTRAK has to be accommodated but the freights don't have to screw up their systems because the Acela is running late.

Normally I would say you get what you pay for......BUT, everybody and I mean EVERYBODY was battling this problem this week. Peter Pan,Bolt,Megabus,Greyhound,Concord Coach,P & B,Trailways....everybody had problems with the heat. Especially with the older buses, they just can't take the extreme heat, at Bonanza our older DL3 fleet is well taken care of but even yesterday if you could get the A/C under 80 then you had a good bus.

It's summertime....it happens!

Count College Pt Depot in on this ,We had HVAC problems beyond belief but A MCSmoothie helped me out .I tried ducking under a bridge for Shade and even my P/R Blowers was throwing out Heat:cry:

Epic Fail on that Boltbus driver on that infamous NY-Boston:tdown:. With that trip not getting media attention I am sure that driver is getting a long suspension or even be fired if he had other problems.

And hopefully those riders get several free trips on the Bolt Bus/Greyhound network.

If that driver knew the A/C wasn't working before he left Boston then he's getting in trouble.....we got a memo 2 weeks ago that we are not suppose to be running ANY coach in revenue service with no A/C, and if it goes out en route then you were suppose to swap at the closest garage. Friday, they were no buses anywhere, every garage was struggling to make service....I have never seen it that bad.

The problem is that as hot as it's been the last couple days you can't really get the air any lower than 75-80 degrees. In south station which is covered up the bus could have been decent feeling when they left and once that sun started beating down on a black bus, well you get the idea. Bad deal for everybody involved.

To be fair the only reason this is getting so much attention because its dead smack in the middle of summer.

And @ KR, I had a Nova yesterday and that sucker was gasping for some cool air l0l. 79 degrees felt good. For a sec I thought the was bus saying "Please give me some cool air" but I quickly came to my senses and realized it was a couple of pax.

Archived