Legit retired R32s/R42s

mtattrain

I heard on Trever Logan's Transit Wiki that 18 R32s were retired, with 8 being actually retired and 10 other becoming work cars. I also heard that 1 R42 pair (4820+4821) retired so there are 48 R42 left in service. Does anyone know where the really retired R32s and R42s went to? (I know that the work car R32s were taken to 36th-38th St. Yd.) Thanks for replying and answering my questions, if you do.

The Only dead R32's are 8 in the Fresh Pond Yard and 3720/21

the Rest is for work service

I don't know the others in CI

so 10 are dead the other 10 is still active

the 14 R42's are stored while the others are at ENY

http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=MTA_Subway_Yard_Roster#36th.E2.80.9338th_Street_Yard

Click link above, you'll see the 10 R-32 Cars that are at 36-38th Street Yard. I do not know where the retired R-42 pair went, it might have joined the other cars at CI.

what about 4837 (tagged up R42) and its mate?

4836-4837 are still assigned to East New York Yard and is not currently off the roster.

There are 2 dead R42s and 4 dead R32s in 207th St Whig are being stripped for parts as well as an R32 set in CIYD that is also being stripped for parts. I have to look for the car numbers.

stripped for parts is good. Means they'll still have some sort of use.

Yep. The funny thing about all of this is that according to the MTA budget they will be keeping the R32s around longer then expected. Don't know about the R42s. I'll post the info on this on the R179 thread.

IMO, the R32's can stay around for several more years. The R42's need to be retired ASAP.

IMO, the R32's can stay around for several more years. The R42's need to be retired ASAP.

They are gonna take those dead R32's out of storage and put them back in service to replace those garbage can R42's at ENY, The R42's might retire soon, One came into jamaica center and just died it couldn't charge up or anything, They are doing that bad

stripped for parts is good. Means they'll still have some sort of use.

Not really, the cars were mostly intact. If they really needed parts for them they would totally strip them. It's like there just letting them rot away slowly.

Not really, the cars were mostly intact. If they really needed parts for them they would totally strip them. It's like there just letting them rot away slowly.

They Might Have to take them back out for service anyway since the MTA wants to keep them in service for six more years, Plus they didn't mention the R42's That alone puzzles me

They Might Have to take them back out for service anyway since the MTA wants to keep them in service for six more years, Plus they didn't mention the R42's That alone puzzles me

There is no way they can go back in service, they have several R32s on the scrap list and they wont be coming off.

There is no way they can go back in service, they have several R32s on the scrap list and they wont be coming off.

Unless the cars are full stripped, anything can come from the "scrapped" list ...nee AB Standards, R10, R16, R44 (1980s)

I'm suprised, that rust bucket has more rust than an R32!

Well R-32, 100% Stainless Steel... R-42 Stainless Steel with Carbon Steel and a few other non-rust proof metals.

Of course the R-32 is gonna fair better.

Unless the cars are full stripped, anything can come from the "scrapped" list ...nee AB Standards, R10, R16, R44 (1980s)

I doubt it, the cars at 207th were missing master controllers, their groups, A/C units, switch panels, couplers, compressors. Also when it comes to things coming off the scrap list, the museum cars are a totally different story from revenue equipment.

I doubt it, the cars at 207th were missing master controllers, their groups, A/C units, switch panels, couplers, compressors. Also when it comes to things coming off the scrap list, the museum cars are a totally different story from revenue equipment.

You're assuming I'm talking about Museum cars, which I'm not... We do not have a museum R-10 car in the NYCT Museum fleet. The R-10 and 3 out of the 4 AB Standards on the property that is preserved belongs to the the Railway Preservation Corp.

You're assuming I'm talking about Museum cars, which I'm not... We do not have a museum R-10 car in the NYCT Museum fleet. The R-10 on the property that is preserved belongs to the the Railway Preservation Corp.

Museum and RPC cars, still a different story when talking about the scrap list. Also there are 2 R10s on property, I think the old Pitkin School Car belongs to the museum, but I'd have to check.

Museum and RPC cars, still a different story when talking about the scrap list. Also there are 2 R10s on property, I think the old Pitkin School Car belongs to the museum, but I'd have to check.

3189 belongs to NYTM

3184 belongs to RPC

Archived